PDA

View Full Version : B5 Suggestion with picture

TMatthews
08-15-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm looking for some advice. I've been sleeping on this forum for a while now sticking to the search feature but wanted throw this question out there regarding a B5 Quattro Tip. I've been looking into chipping the car because this thing is weak right now. After the chip are the main components at a higher risk for failure? I.e. transmission, stock turbo, engine, etc. Other than a ECU upgrade, what would you recommend as the next step to getting this thing moving a little quicker?

In terms of appearance, Ecodes on the way, other suggestions?

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6769/photo5z.jpg

NorCal1.8T
08-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Anything motor-wise will have more stress due to chipped ecu, but the risk will increase if you constantly pushing it hard ofcourse. Seems that when i chipped my car, i noticed boost leaks much more, mainly because the hoses were 9 years old and on their way out. You will be fine though, chipping will actually do more positive than negative. You could do ecodes or even suspension! Just make sure you upgrade that DV with the chip

Euromike
08-15-2010, 10:15 PM
clean hibiscus!

TMatthews
08-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Solid advice, much appreciated. I'm curious to see what others have to say. I'll throw up some pictures once I get the Ecodes in later this week.

Euromike
08-15-2010, 10:34 PM
My advice would be facelift headlights and tail lights, and some coilovers to lower it. Other than that, i wouldn't touch it. Such a clean car.

TNAquattro
08-15-2010, 10:35 PM
In terms of appearance, Ecodes on the way, other suggestions?

IMO lowering it would add a lot to the appearance.

AlexSpengler
08-15-2010, 10:51 PM
My advice would be facelift headlights and tail lights, and some coilovers to lower it. Other than that, i wouldn't touch it. Such a clean car. yea i agree be thankful that you have a fantastic looking car....but if you chip it you might wanna upgrade the exhaust .

Seerlah
08-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Tip trannies have their limits, but can be very mod freindly. Biketsai had the PES T28 kit on his tip before he did the manual swap. As others have mentioned, old parts are prone to failure, and that would really only include vacuum hoses. If you had an AWM, I would say your push down ignition coils would be more likely to blow also, but that won't be the case with you. I say go for it. Be sure to change your diverter valve, spark plugs (or regap if applicable), and go from there. An exhaust would def be of interest. Also, your car is begging for a decent drop.

TMatthews
08-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Tip trannies have their limits, but can be very mod freindly. Biketsai had the PES T28 kit on his tip before he did the manual swap. As others have mentioned, old parts are prone to failure, and that would really only include vacuum hoses. If you had an AWM, I would say your push down ignition coils would be more likely to blow also, but that won't be the case with you. I say go for it. Be sure to change your diverter valve, spark plugs (or regap if applicable), and go from there. An exhaust would def be of interest. Also, your car is begging for a decent drop.

I've looked into lowering it although I live in Boston and we have terrible roads and slamming it isn't really my style. What kit would you recommend for a modest drop?

Seerlah
08-16-2010, 07:33 AM
I never said to slam it, but to get a decent drop. I am not into the slammed thing personlly either, due to road conditions. Coilovers are really the way to go. I am on coilovers (16" stock wheels and tires) with a decent drop, not slammed. It gives you the ability to place your vehicle at a desired height, versus not being able to change the height on a shock/spring combo. There is a deal for ST coilovers, and I would PM the company conducting the special to get pricing.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/380915-ST-Coilover-Special-For-All!

EuRo_KiD
08-16-2010, 07:34 AM
http://i35.tinypic.com/33b1wef.jpg

Here's something to give you some inspiration

spcmky
08-16-2010, 07:42 AM
My exhaust manifold cracked after I got my chip. As soon as I hit the throttle on the highway sounded like I blew the exhaust off the car.

TMatthews
08-16-2010, 08:33 AM
My exhaust manifold cracked after I got my chip. As soon as I hit the throttle on the highway sounded like I blew the exhaust off the car.

Haha, these are things I'm worried about. Not as much the engine but the transmission and other stock parts. There is something appealing about being able to blow the exhaust off your car though...

somebody5788
08-16-2010, 09:02 AM
I like this guy he searches LOL.

Def lower the car some. As far as transmission or components well, manual or auto? A tip will hold a chipped car just fine assuming your not an idiot driver hahaha. A manual don't even think about worrying about it but the clutch would go out at some point but it can handle just a chip.

willowtreexx
08-16-2010, 09:08 AM
http://i35.tinypic.com/33b1wef.jpg

Here's something to give you some inspiration

sexy! good PS there Euro. i live in chicago and i have mine dropped about the same height, you'll be fine! also have mine chipped, only performance mod on it and i just noticed more broken hoses cause of the age.

biketsai
08-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Id love myself a Hibiscus with RS4 wheels! Looks great lowered

Seerlah
08-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Haha, these are things I'm worried about. Not as much the engine but the transmission and other stock parts. There is something appealing about being able to blow the exhaust off your car though...

He said exhaist manifold, not the exhaust. And having the exhaust manifold crack is a common thing. Well, not really. But it happens. They can be picked up for dirt cheap, though. I even have an extra one laying around I got for $20. LIke I mentioned, just do it.

h4robkr123
08-16-2010, 09:26 AM
I just PM'ed you tmatthews

TMatthews
08-16-2010, 09:29 AM
He said exhaist manifold, not the exhaust. And having the exhaust manifold crack is a common thing. Well, not really. But it happens. They can be picked up for dirt cheap, though. I even have an extra one laying around I got for $20. LIke I mentioned, just do it.

I understand what he was saying. Not too worried about it, it's a funny story though. Nice find on the coil deal.