PDA

View Full Version : me5 converted to me7?

dowsett6
08-15-2010, 06:30 PM
I've been searching forever now and still haven't found anyone who says they have actually done it.

Swapping over the engine harness, coilpacks, maf/map, 02 sensors, ecu and throttlebody is all straight forward.

But what about the throttle pedal. Do you need to swap over the interior harness to hook up that cable or can it be done by just adding wires to the stock wiring on ME5 cars?

And the cluster should just be able to be recoded if needed?

Thanks,
-Robert

guy022077
08-15-2010, 06:43 PM
search a little more....but here is what my searching lead me to as a conclusion....this is a quote from a guy that did it. i gave up on it...and since eurodyne has maestro 7 and it works with AEB me5 i gave up on it.

from the moment of doing the convertion it was fun and I enjoyed every moment of it, but in the end, the aeb is better. There is a big different in the gas pedal, the location(is lower), the respond and you can't event try to left foot brake(to build boost with ur right). Got codes and no a/c and no sunroof. the abs cable is a pain in the butt. Not worth it but fun to do cuz you get to take everything apart.

black99.5a4
08-15-2010, 07:01 PM
that was me you quoted, at least, somewhat of what I said.

I never finished it, due to the fact that more then you can imagine has to be changed out.

Here is even more things I found while digging through my s4 harness yesterday.

See, my car is a 99.5 and I wanted to put a ME7 s4 cluster in it due to the backlight/needle light colors. I didnt have LCD, even if I had, the ME5 cars have 2 32 pins and 1 20 pin for LCD, non LCD is 2 32 pins and 1 10 pin, 00+ is 3 32 pins and they use CanBUS.

Now, I got a 99.5 LCD harness and rewiring my pins around for the cluster to work. I get a fake brake light out issue and oil temp doesnt work. I need to go back over my wiring, but everything else, works.

Since a certain someone on here keeps throwing around telling all of the ME5 guys to swap to ME7, its super easy, all you need is an engine harness and the ECU, blah blah, i decided to go with what I originally knew after studying Bentley wiring diagrams for MONTHS on the issue. I pulled my me7 dash harness out of my full me7 harness and pulled my dash harness out of my 99.5 to swap them so I wouldnt need to rewire my cluster pins.

EERRRKKKK.... Wrong. Not only does the Me7 cars have their cruise control elsewhere (not even in the dash harness, infact, what i could find online, showed it to be a build in ECU function now), so there goes giving up cruise. That bothers me. My shit works 100% or i'm pissed and i am fixing it/rewiring it/adding it to the wiring to make it work!.. Not only does the dash harness alone have more plugs then my 99.5, it has a few different plugs.. i'd have to cut them off and figure out where the extra 4-5 wires go in that plug alone. A few other plugs in the kick panels had extra wiring.

Now, you think.. okay, I will just swap interior harnesses.. its easy to get out.. and it is once the car is stripped which doesnt take me long to... but the me7 cars have ABS module or some type of box under the back seat that is connected using a huge TCM looking plug, along with another 60-70 pin ECU looking plug not far up the harness from the first one. There is also 2 or 3 serial port ends that you need to figure out where they go, what they do and if your shit is gonna fucntion without it all.

Now you need an engine harness, ecu and pedal.. The pedal wiring is attached to the main interior harness.. I have a pedal I will sell you, along with an interior harness (minus dash as I will be cutting it up for things I need).. but the engine you need to be swapped over or a looooot of the shit on it.. TB, oil pan so you can use the oil sensor in it, the coolant sensor is different reading then ours and plug, oil temp is different readings and plug then ours.. that is where I stopped and said, FUCK IT..

Is it worth all of that when Tapp's got ME5 Meastro using the same technology that GIAC does to allow AEB to be flashable?

no, its not. Add a wideband for tuning and I would say you are on top of the ME7, in the game.

dowsett6
08-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Mine is the 99.5 as well. And I'm also running the Maestro software with an aftermarket wideband (and Chris's software is dead on), I just wanted more of the features through the newer ecu like the stutter box, and the easier time coding out emission stuff.

The cruise control though is like you said a feature of the newer ecu, because its a fly by wire throttlebody the ecu can control the engine's rpm to keep you at the same speed. If your swapping out the whole harness perhaps you might need to pickup a newer control stalk as well??

And I feel you on the nicer looking cluster too haha, I want to pick up a cheap S4 cluster just to take the needles out and swap into mine. I found a decent price on a 2001 engine with all the related underhood stuff, thats why I was more concerned with the wiring harness. And I might be PMing that certain someone who keeps telling everyone to do it to find out what he has to say about it.

black99.5a4
08-15-2010, 07:14 PM
the stalks are all the same. i have a 01 s4 stalk in my car now since my original one went bad about 2 years ago.

to keep all the functions, you're looking at a complete wiring changing from end to end.

Are you on Meastro software, or just a Tapp tune? The ME5 doesnt have the 2 steps that's built into MEastro?

What do you mean easier time of coding out the emissions? From my understands its the asme software as I have on my computer now, for the 2.1 b6 i'm building. Its all multichoice, click the dot if you wanna make it off and on, etc..

dowsett6
08-15-2010, 07:36 PM
I have the full out Maestro software. And the ME7 has the radio buttons for on/off selectability. The ME5 doesn't have any of those options, nor the two step feature. Basically I have access to only the maps, ect. to change the values for. But so far the base tune has been amazing.

I believe the two step works off the throttle body just like the cruise control does, as the ecu can control the rpms. With ME5 it would have to be controlled by cutting fuel, causing the feature to be useless.

black99.5a4
08-15-2010, 07:42 PM
well shit.. at that point, its not worth the extra money to go ME5 Meastro over just a Tapp Tune.

dowsett6
08-15-2010, 07:46 PM
I know, I found out all this after going with it, since no one ever really talks about the ME5 Maestro. All the screencaps are of ME7. Although the features I do have are pretty sweet still, just not all the ones I thought I was paying for.

guy022077
08-16-2010, 06:13 AM
what is chris tapp? when i google i get eurodyne/chris but you are speaking of him as if he is separate from eurodyne.
where is his tune available?

guy022077
08-16-2010, 06:16 AM
what is chris tapp? when i google i get eurodyne/chris but you are speaking of him as if he is separate from eurodyne.

gmx
08-16-2010, 06:45 AM
if you still have access to customize the maps what's so bad about that??

What does the new ME5 tune from Tapp use for injectors/MAF/fpr?
I heard something about the Audi V8 MAF... housing and/or element... I don't know.

Any chance that would fit in the stock airbox?

dowsett6
08-16-2010, 10:26 AM

Chris Tapp is the owner of Eurodyne, his tunes are the ones you get through his company (http://www.eurodyne.ca).

I heard something about the Audi V8 MAF... housing and/or element... I don't know.

I am using the old tune for 630cc/ford 90mm/3bar setup. The new tune using the v8 Maf is supposed to have alot better of an idle due to the way the maf is made. The v8 maf is still a 90mm maf, so i can't really see it fit your stock airbox. It only flows to ~300hp anyways so why keep it??

black99.5a4
08-16-2010, 10:34 AM

The issue is, Meastro was suppose to the end all to user based tuning. It was suppose to be "motronic used as a standalone" basically.. for ME7 it is, for ME5, it is not. You dont get the 2 step you get with ME7, As well as the no lift shift, also i'm assuming you dont get the anti-lag either, you dont get access to any of the emissions stuff to turn it off and on.. for ME5, all you get is access to the maps. None of the other frills you're spending 1000 for.

gmx
08-16-2010, 10:24 PM
The issue is, Meastro was suppose to the end all to user based tuning. It was suppose to be "motronic used as a standalone" basically.. for ME7 it is, for ME5, it is not. You dont get the 2 step you get with ME7, As well as the no lift shift, also i'm assuming you dont get the anti-lag either, you dont get access to any of the emissions stuff to turn it off and on.. for ME5, all you get is access to the maps. None of the other frills you're spending 1000 for.

2 step for launching?
no lift shift... again don't believe necessary for a dd.

Our ECUs are slightly different we don't have emissions stuff like SAI/secondary O2s.
Adjustability of maps is all I'm really interested in.

guy022077
08-17-2010, 06:29 AM
maybe someone list the things eurodyne offers on me7 that you cant get on me5 and on me5 that you cant do on me7. seems like a short list either way.

black99.5a4
08-17-2010, 07:11 AM
2 step for launching?
no lift shift... again don't believe necessary for a dd.

Our ECUs are slightly different we don't have emissions stuff like SAI/secondary O2s.
Adjustability of maps is all I'm really interested in.

we have secondary o2's. take a look in your cat/test pipe..

To answer your original question... the injectors depend on the size of tune you want. He uses the Audi 4.2 MAF housing with your sensor in it. I believe his tunes are all 3 bar as well.

So by judging by your list in your sig.. you'd wanna run the tapp 440 file, you can use a 4bar on your 415's and use them with a 440 file.

Thing is also that Robert was saying about the ME5, is the tuning of the maps, due to the software isnt as easy or nice as the ME7.

gmx
08-17-2010, 08:55 AM
we have secondary o2's. take a look in your cat/test pipe..

To answer your original question... the injectors depend on the size of tune you want. He uses the Audi 4.2 MAF housing with your sensor in it. I believe his tunes are all 3 bar as well.

So by judging by your list in your sig.. you'd wanna run the tapp 440 file, you can use a 4bar on your 415's and use them with a 440 file.

Thing is also that Robert was saying about the ME5, is the tuning of the maps, due to the software isnt as easy or nice as the ME7.

I don't. Look at my location and you'll realize why.

black99.5a4
08-17-2010, 09:00 AM
idk why you dont have a secondary o2.. i dont live in Australia.

Me5 Mestro for you might or might not be worth it. Robert (the OP) will have to chime in to give details but by talking to him in private about the ME5, it doesnt seem worth the 1000, when you can get a file from tapp that runs just fine and wont need tweeks. INfact, the OP has said he is running the Tapp 630 file and it runs GREAT without any tweeks. The tweeks were just nice b/c of all of the selling points of the software, which most of them, other then changing maps based on lamda, instead of wideband like the 01's have here in the US (and maybe everywhere else).. you can add a wideband and go tuning off of that.. but like I said, the files are nice without tweeks..

the software was boasted as this.... last time you'll ever need to purchase a file again.. you can add spark feeds (cylinders if you go bigger motor), you can adjust everything known to man on it including things such as all emissions.. you could toggle VVT off/on, rear 02, etc. There are screen shots after screen shots on Vortex in the 1.8t section if you want to go over ther and look, but its all for me7. From talking to the OP about Me5, all you get is the maps. So, unless you yourself want to spend the extra money on it for nothing more then changing maps. not sure if you can even do toooo much there.. IMO, at your standpoint, its not worth it.

dowsett6
08-17-2010, 09:03 AM
With just having Sydney people can only assume that you mean in Australia. I first think about Sydney, Nova Scotia myself.. in which case you would have them.