PDA

View Full Version : 06A Long Block to stiff to turn?

Lowdaily
08-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Ive built the engine block with Mahle 82.5mm Pistons and IE rods with OEM bearings the rings were filed correctly with specs from IE them selves, ive use the stock crank & bearings. Everything is in sittue but not torqued up just nipped. The turning of the engine over is pretty impossible but everything was lubed up crank, shells, wrist pins etc. The Pistons obviously fit but im worrying now the rebore was too under to allocate for them. Any ideas on to what could cause this. Is it ment to be tight because its a fresh block? Ive turned over short blocks before dont seem to be stiff so just wondered. [confused]

Poopie
08-12-2010, 02:30 PM
are you hitting the oil squirters on the bottom of the pistons?

Lowdaily
08-12-2010, 02:34 PM
To be honest i havnt really looked into it i fitted it all like a couple of weeks ago i tried to turn the block over and i have to use a pry bar thought something is wrong forsure. So is that a problem hitting the oil squirters?

Poopie
08-12-2010, 02:40 PM
you shouldn't be if you used the stock crank. but that is definitely something to make sure you have the clearance for. Is it locked up both clockwise and counter-clock wise? Maybe try turning it with the oil pump removed. maybe something is binding there.

Lowdaily
08-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Ohright well its either way thats funny theres nothing on the engine yet apart from Crank, Rods and Pistons fitted. I do agree sonething mush be jammed or binding not sure. Has this happened to you before?

Poopie
08-13-2010, 04:55 AM
I guess disassemble and start over and recheck your clearances. How did you assemble the rods to the crank with out rotating it? It must have been a bitch to torque the bolts correctly.

Start by pulling the pistons and rods and see if the crank rotates. Then install one piston and rod assembly at a time and rotate after each one.