PDA

View Full Version : Stopped in at the body shop for a quote...

EErie B6
08-12-2010, 09:30 AM
I stopped in to get a quote for some paint repair work and while i was there, i asked about getting the lowers painted. He bend down to look at them, then flexed the moldings and i was surprised to see they are pretty rubbery. He said that it could be done, but he didnt recommend it stating "i dont know how well the paint is going to stick to that long term".

For those of you with painted lowers... My questions are this:
How long ago was it done & how is it holding up? ...flaking cracking etc.
What did the shop charge to do it?

For those who did it yourself, what steps did you take to ensure the paint stayed where you put it?

Thanks.

B6JoeS4
08-12-2010, 09:47 AM
it can be done. many many many people have done it and it last just as long as any other painted thing.

find yourself a new bodyshop

EErie B6
08-12-2010, 10:13 AM
definitely will do tomorrow. going to be stopping in anyways for a quote on a strip and respray of the hood and RF fender =( the clear is coming off. [down]

CrtchRktRcr
08-12-2010, 10:46 AM
there is a flex additive for paint.. that guy probably had a paintbooth setup in his shed. Find a new one.

EErie B6
08-12-2010, 10:48 AM
there is a flex additive for paint.. that guy probably had a paintbooth setup in his shed. Find a new one.

its actually a nice shop, they do pretty good work. Here (http://www.bonnellscollision.com/)

he just didnt seem interested in doing the work.

definately have a few more estimates to get. shits expensive man.

CrtchRktRcr
08-12-2010, 12:47 PM
lets be realistic... they can barely be seen right? go to craigslist.. find a painter. I have contacted a few and gotten great quotes. Several say come on down and check out my work etc. With this economy people either need to work 2nd jobs or aren't getting enough work at the body shop they are at. Half the price and damn near the same quality. Just tell them hey, if you do excellent work I will refer more ppl to you and (bs) i'm getting a new hood and bumper soon and if it's done right you can do those too.

coolgraymemo
08-12-2010, 12:59 PM
^^
I totally agree. There a tons of displaced professional painters doing outside jobs.

onemoremile
08-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Anybody that can paint a Corvette can paint those lowers. Vette bumpers are flexible plastic or urethane and they seem to hold up quite well. Just need to add the right mix of flex agents and plasticizers.

B6JoeS4
08-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Anybody that can paint a Corvette can paint those lowers. Vette bumpers are flexible plastic or urethane and they seem to hold up quite well. Just need to add the right mix of flex agents and plasticizers.

pretty much ALL bumpers on every newer car are going to be plastic

EErie B6
08-12-2010, 04:53 PM
^lol, our cars included

JumboBlack1.8
08-12-2010, 04:53 PM
I bought my car with painted lowers (not sure WHO did the work, or how old it is) and the paint is starting to chip off it certain spots. Overall, the paint is holding well, but it doesn't appear to be adhering to the plastic as well as it would on metal.....Doesn't look bad and it isn't noticeable, but I'm assuming it can be MUCH worse if not done right