PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about wheel bearing issues and replacement.

A1 A2 German
08-08-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm getting some pretty good jitters in the wheel, and noticing it coming up from/in the pedals as well.

Control arms, mounts, alignment, balancing, tire pressure and wheel torque seem to be all in check. Does this generally the result of bearings? A '97 with 100K on the clock is past due? Regularly due and/or needed on our platform?

Concerning install: DIY or does the entire hub needs to be removed and sent to a machine shop to have the old ones pressed out and new ones pressed in?

If thats' the case, I'll source 2nd bearing hubs and have them pressed in ready to go for install the hour I remove the first ones.

Discuss:

BTW: Found the fronts for $40.46 each, good?

dmaize
08-09-2010, 02:17 AM
i have done my rear left 1 and my rear right twice. i have a full shop, i used a 10 ton press, a torch, and odds and ends. make sure you have a big enough allen socket to take the axle bolt out.

i took the whole hub off, pressed the spindle off. torched the bearing, pickled it off, pressed the new one in. make sure to get it far enough in. than pressed the spindle back on. MAKE SURE NOT TO PRESS THE INNER RACE OUT WHEN YOU PRESS THE SPINDLE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

than put back together.

its annoying but takes me about 40 min. i have not done a front yet. . .

i keep hitting curbs in the winter and ruining the rears. LAME

onemoremile
08-09-2010, 05:14 AM
Get junkyard hubs, clean them up, and press new bearings into them. Do as many as you can afford to since you will need an alignment after.

somebody5788
08-09-2010, 06:24 AM
i have done my rear left 1 and my rear right twice. i have a full shop, i used a 10 ton press, a torch, and odds and ends. make sure you have a big enough allen socket to take the axle bolt out.

i took the whole hub off, pressed the spindle off. torched the bearing, pickled it off, pressed the new one in. make sure to get it far enough in. than pressed the spindle back on. MAKE SURE NOT TO PRESS THE INNER RACE OUT WHEN YOU PRESS THE SPINDLE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

than put back together.

its annoying but takes me about 40 min. i have not done a front yet. . .

i keep hitting curbs in the winter and ruining the rears. LAME

If I were to post it would say everything yours did lmfao. Except curbs wont hurt a wheel bearing. Gonna destroy a wheel before that happens.

Why do the right rears go out so much more?

anothersilver
08-11-2010, 06:36 PM
I have 2001 A4 spindles with hubs and bearings in good shape I will be putting in the classifieds this weekend if you are interesed. I am located in Sacramento. I took them out when I switched to S4 brakes. The bearings are made by *** and were replaced about 2-3 years ago.

Regards,
SR

MOtown A4
08-11-2010, 07:58 PM
I have 2001 A4 spindles with hubs and bearings in good shape I will be putting in the classifieds this weekend if you are interesed. I am located in Sacramento. I took them out when I switched to S4 brakes. The bearings are made by *** and were replaced about 2-3 years ago.

Regards,
SR ***= F.A.G. im gonna assume. filter might have kicked in.