PDA

View Full Version : car towed w/ front wheel on ground...not too much of a sad story...yet

toxinr
08-07-2010, 10:34 PM
car towed w/ front wheel on ground...cuz i parked at a property where the warning sign is facing a fucking frame. (i guess i'm having a very bad month)
the towing distance was about 5 mile. the tow truck driver claimed that they did not exceeded 20mph. (it was city road w/ traffic lights)
i thought the torsen diff was doomed...until i found this video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXWg_IUko9U

torsen diff is the first structure that i have came across of which i cannot picture a mechanical motion in my head...so i always thought that the shaft going to front and rear axle would always rev together...guess i'm wrong.
so it is not too much of a sad story yet, except that i had to pay $170 which i was going to spend on control arms. guess i'll have to live with the clunks for a while.
i'll still have a audi mechanic check it though...hopefully everything's fine.
good night audiziners.[:)]

zrowcool
08-08-2010, 08:39 AM
problem with that is that the tow truck usually locks the rear tires to their boom. its rare for a tow driver with a wrecker to attach the underlift to the diff and let the tires spin freely. either way, if there is any damage, the tow company would be liable for the damage to the vehicle. he could have just looked under to see it had a driveshaft and would need a flatbed or dollies.

stubbs
08-08-2010, 04:08 PM
I'd go over the car very carefully and make sure nothing's wrong with the driveline. If there is, the towing company is responsible and should be held as such. If the tow truck operator's too dumb to know and/or look to see that the car is AWD, he deserves to have it taken out of his paycheck, IMO.

EErie B6
08-08-2010, 06:43 PM
^ thats for true!

sean1.8t
08-08-2010, 06:46 PM
you can tow the torsen system like that for 30 miles through the city. you're fine

EuroDriven
08-09-2010, 05:26 AM
The video looks really unsafe...