PDA

View Full Version : Did a little werk today.

biketsai
08-07-2010, 08:30 PM
So me and Aaron had some fun today swapping out my turbo.
GT2871r elim, 034 Manifold (already had the TAPP mafless tune/630's in when I did those last week) I have some pics, and a few questions to ask!
-I am running a MAFLESS setup, I put some wire mesh in front of the turbo and just clamped it on, Ive heard hte HKS filter is good but I might even do some angled setup to get it kinda near the stock area; should I be fine running it like (wire screen/mesh) this for a while?

-How much boost is an average amount to run on the 71r? I just dont wanna blow my motor! Think Ill be fine running 21psi on a AWM?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/volumebikec0/1281237372.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/volumebikec0/1281237386.jpg
^gt2871r elim (what I put in) vs. Aarons new GT3076 Elim
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/volumebikec0/1281237409.jpg
^Another shot of the comparison

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/volumebikec0/1281237441.jpg
^^Halfway through the install we found out that my old TIP wont fit so we said F-IT and went with a tip-less setup; luckily aaron had a BOV laying around, anyone know what this one is called? After doing some reading I think that Ill be fine running this

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/volumebikec0/1281237458.jpg
^^New setup in

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/volumebikec0/1281237474.jpg
^Different angle

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/volumebikec0/1281237490.jpg
^^Das Audi's @ work

Chris

sean1.8t
08-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Why not keep the PES Manifold and get a full framed gt2871r?

biketsai
08-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Why not keep the PES Manifold and get a full framed gt2871r?

Seemed like it was hard to find a full frame with the same bolt setup.

wesleyfbm
08-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Hopefully for me next season will be the mafless gt2871 elim setup considering I dont have that many plans for my car past the springtime next year. so i will be asking questions in the future!

EuroDriven
08-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Wait, so you went from T3 flange to an Elim? [confused] I have to ask, why?

biketsai
08-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Wait, so you went from T3 flange to an Elim? [confused] I have to ask, why?

T25 flange.

sean1.8t
08-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Seemed like it was hard to find a full frame with the same bolt setup.

huh? isn't the PES mani T25?

biketsai
08-08-2010, 04:33 AM
huh? isn't the PES mani T25?

It is however you would need a bottom mount turbo that bolts in from the top.

Seerlah
08-08-2010, 07:25 AM
I don't understand. Why wouldn't a T25 GT2871R or even a disco potatoe work on the PES manifold? They mount the same way. Studs with locking nuts on the manifold. You don't use bolts and should bolt up with no issue.

As for the 21psi, people do it all the time. Would I do it personally? No. Can people do it and get away with it? Absolutely. Can you throw a rod running 21psi, while others do the same thing and get away with it? Absolutely. This is one reason Mike Hood would suggest a tuner like Revo with smaller injectors vs more aggressive tunes with 630cc injectors. And the AWM has weaker rods than the AEB, so I don't know. Yet, people have ran more than 21psi on the stock block (AWM) with no issues. I just wouldn't gamble it myself, personally. I plan on sticking wtih either the T3 GT2860RS or a turbo of similar power for my setup. Better safe than sorry. Yet people would suggest rods to be the prudent path for the better safe than sorry scenerio.

Also, don't you need the inlet adaptor for the eliminator intake? I just picked up my filter and am going with the Injen x 1014 bb with water repellant cover (can not recall this part number). Pricey intake (can be had for $75 with what I went with, but I paid like $100. didn't find cheaper prices until after I ordered), but I feel it is worth it. Made in conjunction with Amsoil. If I were you, I would get a 90* coupler bend and slap a filter onto that. That is what I plan on doing, but I don't want my filter to get scorched by the mani (the filter water repellant cover does not seem like it would like sitting that close to the mani). I wanted to get a 3" HKS mushroom filter, but it is rather difficult finding it with a 3" inlet.

Edit: I could have sworn you had the (96) trunk to mount a Euro plate?

sean1.8t
08-08-2010, 08:36 AM
It is however you would need a bottom mount turbo that bolts in from the top.

manifolds are top/side/bottom mount. turbo's are just turbo's

black99.5a4
08-08-2010, 08:49 AM
manifolds are top/side/bottom mount. turbo's are just turbo's

exactly, you clock the way the compression housing sits to your needs.

biketsai
08-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Easiest way to put this, I got an awesome deal on the Elim from Aaron;and I didn't find many turbo options when I did look. There is an inlet adaptor on the inlet that opens up to 2.75-3" an that is what I have my mesh on right now. I probably will pick up a 3" 90.

Seerlah
08-08-2010, 09:21 AM
So, onto more pressing matters. How does she pull?

biketsai
08-08-2010, 09:36 AM
So, onto more pressing matters. How does she pull?

Feels a little stronger in the mid range compared to the T28. The TAPP tuning made a nice difference when I had it on the T28. Its really nice having the TIP and all that stuff removed. I am kinda curious about some other stuff I did though if you might be able to answer.

-I removed the n75 hose connection (its still plugged into the connector) and I basically just have it hanging there with the vac line that it was attached to (its attached to the one little check valve that sits right about the intake and routes down towards the turbo by the airbox. Should be fine right?
-I also removed the pancake valve setup, and just slapped a little filter on the end of the hardline that leads to the pancake.
-Since I am now TIPless and MAFless, can I run my old DV and just leave the valve to vent into the atmosphere?
Hopefully you or someone will have the answer to those misc. questions.

Chris

Seerlah
08-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Feels a little stronger in the mid range compared to the T28. The TAPP tuning made a nice difference when I had it on the T28. Its really nice having the TIP and all that stuff removed. I am kinda curious about some other stuff I did though if you might be able to answer.

-I removed the n75 hose connection (its still plugged into the connector) and I basically just have it hanging there with the vac line that it was attached to (its attached to the one little check valve that sits right about the intake and routes down towards the turbo by the airbox. Should be fine right?
I think you are referring to the line that comes off the exhaust gas purge valve (with electrical connector), and routes into the tip. You can leave it as is from the check valve. Take off the little metal and rubber tubing that is supposed to run into the tip, and have the exhaust gases vent from that valve into the atmosphere. But leave the check valve placed in. Leave the n75 electronically plugged in and use a zip tie to have it stable somewhere. You don't want it swinging in the engine bay, with potential of being tossed into one of the fans. Not sure if plugging the lines on the n75 makes a difference or not, but keep the loop vac line on it just in case
-I also removed the pancake valve setup, and just slapped a little filter on the end of the hardline that leads to the pancake.
This is where a catch can comes into play. I purchased a used Vortex can that 034 sells and will be using that. The best thing to do would be to get rid of all that hard piping leading to the 3-way hose that is connected to the valve cover breather port. Find a proper sized fitting for the 3-way breather hose to a heater hose, and run a heater hose from there to your "vented" catch can. If you go to 034, you can see which can I am referring to.
-Since I am now TIPless and MAFless, can I run my old DV and just leave the valve to vent into the atmosphere?
Not sure on the dv with this setup. I purchased a Forge 004 BOV and will be uesing that. I would suggest you get a BOV and attach it on the cold side piping. All you would need to do is run a vacum line from the BOV to the front nipple of the IM. If you look on the B6 A4 vacuum line delete thread, you can see how to bypass the vavle that sits underneath the IM. Actually, you should get rid of all that crap anyways.
Hopefully you or someone will have the answer to those misc. questions.

Chris

Related links:

http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-components-catch-can-vortex-breather-universal-p-17807.html
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/235106-DIY-B6-1.8t-Vacuum-line-and-Check-Valve-removal-simplification

Should not cost much to get all this done. Most expensiove thing would be the vented catch can (with filter). Then just the cost of clamps, fitting for the 3-way breather hose and heater hose.

Edit: I don't think you should use a dv for your application. Another may want to chimme in here to agree or disgree. You should get a BOV. Should not cost you anything, after you sell your current dv. I paid $80 shipped for my 004 and will sell my 007 for maybe the same price when I install my setup, so no loss in money.

coolgraymemo
08-08-2010, 10:36 AM
nice!

GetBoosted84
08-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Wish you were closer. I'd like to run my full frame GT2860RS versus a GT2871R Elim to see how they both fair against each other.

Plus I'm doing that dyno day on the 21st so it would be fun to see what your new set up puts down!

biketsai
08-08-2010, 12:39 PM
I am dynoing my car this week! Gonna do it at work on our Mustang dyno. Will post results asap. Going to run some logs tomorrow.

EuroDriven
08-08-2010, 03:47 PM
I would recommend a catch can w/ vacuum system delete since you will probably go there eventually anyways. Since you have an AWM I believe you have SAI which means you need the IE block-off plate.

Do you have numbers on your old setup? Otherwise, waiting for numbers.

aaronamerica
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Hey Chris your car felt pretty strong, your car at 10psi felt like my car at 15psi

Don't forget to get motor mounts I could feel your motor banging arround pretty bad in between shifts