PDA

View Full Version : mesh in the MAF on stock intake tubing on 2.8

midnightride42
08-06-2010, 08:27 AM
This is on a A4 B5 2.8.

Just curious, when I take hte MAF out and look in there is mesh in there right before the sensor. I figure it's to catch anything that might get sucked up etc....would it be a big deal to not have it?

I'm looking to fab up a intake pipe and weld up a small box where the sensor bolt up to it and then goes in the intake pipe....but of course doing it this way it will not have the mesh in it.

I want to keep the pipe one piece as much as possible.

nagle10
08-06-2010, 08:30 AM
The mesh is a screen meant to direct airflow so the maf gets a correct reading. I wouldn't take it out.

somebody5788
08-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Don't agree with nagle10 but I do think you should leave it... why modify it? It's so easy to make an adapter.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Performance/Intake-Duct-Filter-Adapter/_/N-265w?filterByKeyWord=8148&fromString=search

mr.awesome
08-06-2010, 08:42 AM
helps stop turbulence in the intake. Not sure if it works differently on the 2.8 but on my 2.7 i descreened my maf and now im looking for a new one, can't boost past 15 lbs without being thrown into limp 2 seconds later.

somebody5788
08-06-2010, 09:42 AM
helps stop turbulence in the intake. Not sure if it works differently on the 2.8 but on my 2.7 i descreened my maf and now im looking for a new one, can't boost past 15 lbs without being thrown into limp 2 seconds later.

I think its more likely a dirty maf...

midnightride42
08-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Don't agree with nagle10 but I do think you should leave it... why modify it? It's so easy to make an adapter.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Performance/Intake-Duct-Filter-Adapter/_/N-265w?filterByKeyWord=8148&fromString=search

I basically wanted to build a small boxlike thing like a lot of aftermarket CAI have where the sensor actually bolts into it going through a small hole into the pipe. Basically like the stock one into plastic. I was going to fab up a pipe and just leave the stock sensor where it is now located, but didn't want to hack the pipe up and put the sensor part there then the adaptor you listed.
Want it to look clean without a bunch of rubber couplers etc.....

In my dsm when you removed the honeycombs, which like the mesh in our mafs directs/smooths out air it would have a higher air flow rate so it too would fall on its face, but again that was on a turbo car, no NA.

importcraz
08-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Now every car from whatever manu. Their have been people to remove the screen. Some will say no problem, so will say foul. I would advise against it too. It serves two purposes direct flow/ smooth, and also some what protects the element. Their is easy ways to build an intake for your eng. But honestly why bother. Unless you just want something shiny under the hood. The ecm will just end up correcting itself anywAY.

midnightride42
08-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Now every car from whatever manu. Their have been people to remove the screen. Some will say no problem, so will say foul. I would advise against it too. It serves two purposes direct flow/ smooth, and also some what protects the element. Their is easy ways to build an intake for your eng. But honestly why bother. Unless you just want something shiny under the hood. The ecm will just end up correcting itself anywAY.

Thanks for the response. I guess I'll leave it. It's actually wasn't going to be all shine either. I was going to keep it a black color. I like to fabricate....that was my maine reason for doing the project. I know I wont get horsepower increase etc....more or less will just be for locks.

I like doing these projects, just dont want to cause harm to the vehicle.

Thanks,

importcraz
08-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the response. I guess I'll leave it. It's actually wasn't going to be all shine either. I was going to keep it a black color. I like to fabricate....that was my maine reason for doing the project. I know I wont get horsepower increase etc....more or less will just be for locks.

I like doing these projects, just dont want to cause harm to the vehicle.

Thanks,

Well if that's the case, then do it. It's your car man, you should be able to do it without removing the screen. If you have enough ability you should even be able to fab up something sort of like a k&n with a heat shield/airbox, with a nice big filter. Just realize it might not do anything, or it may be louder.

midnightride42
08-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Well if that's the case, then do it. It's your car man, you should be able to do it without removing the screen. If you have enough ability you should even be able to fab up something sort of like a k&n with a heat shield/airbox, with a nice big filter. Just realize it might not do anything, or it may be louder.

:D yea I already have the heat shield (lower/upper) done. I just need to add a few more brackets to it and then paint it.
I wanted a clean 1 piece intake pipe with a nice Cone filter on the end. if I make the bracket to hold the maff in I wont be able to add the mesh/screen. I suppose I can make it one piece without the screen and if the car does not run right I can always take a section out and put the stock plastic maff housing with the screen in. Just dont want to run lean......

When it's all done I'll post up a pic.

somebody5788
08-09-2010, 09:08 AM
On mine my MAF bolts to the "airbox" which is just a heat shield right now. The adapter is on the inside and my filter goes on it and the MAF bolts through on the outside.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/somebody5788/348a2a5d.jpg I actually do plan to turn it into an airbox with insulation as well.

importcraz
08-10-2010, 01:17 PM
On mine my MAF bolts to the "airbox" which is just a heat shield right now. The adapter is on the inside and my filter goes on it and the MAF bolts through on the outside.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/somebody5788/348a2a5d.jpg I actually do plan to turn it into an airbox with insulation as well.

not bad man, looks relatively clean. But stock boxes are pretty decent. A++ for effort. But small suggestion, use a better filter.

somebody5788
08-10-2010, 03:06 PM
not bad man, looks relatively clean. But stock boxes are pretty decent. A++ for effort. But small suggestion, use a better filter.

Nothing wrong with the filter. It's pretty much identical to any K&N but less money.

importcraz
08-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Nothing wrong with the filter. It's pretty much identical to any K&N but less money.

Ok spectre is ok but they are not identical. yes they are cotton instead of paper and you are able to clean and oil but they do not flow the same, or filter the same amount. I have been using their kit for years on vehicles that don't have a commercial intake kit. or for engine swaps. but when available I would run a better filter. Just saying.

midnightride42
08-11-2010, 06:22 AM

Thats basically what my heat shield looks like as we... except I have the bottom blocked off as well to insure no rain/crap gets on the filter. As you see in that pic there are 2 couplers and than the maff plastic housing. It would look so much cleaner with one long pipe and just two clamps with the cone filter on the end.

I also designed it to use the front snorkel to push air into the cone filter heat shield area.
Still debating on removing the filter to make it one nice looking piece. I'll post pics when I'm done.