PDA

View Full Version : again...clunking...

toxinr
08-05-2010, 09:05 PM
I searched.
but mine seems to be a unique situation.
i get this random clunking from front, probably left.
i tried coasting straight in neutral on flat road and i still get the random clunking (random meaning not rhythmic), i can even feel the little shaking from my left foot that's on the floor whenever it clunks.
no work was performed recently, it just came out of nowhere today.
Also i believe the car is vibrating a bit more when coasting at ~70mph. in gear.
After i parked my car i tried push down on the front left fender and i think i heard this clunk once out of the ~10 times i pushed.
Any thoughts on what this could be?
Thanks!![:D]

ps. i'm sure it's not the wheel bearing as i just had the front right one replaced and i know what it sounds like.
ps2. i checked the CAs about a month ago (the grap your wheel method), and there was no play at all.

walky_talky20
08-05-2010, 10:11 PM
You should put the front end in the air and check the lower control arms correctly. You have to pry on them in the up/down direction, as that is how they usually wear. You should also check the sway bar bushings and end links. They should have no play - some rubber "squish" is ok, but no free play at all. The upper control arms can usually be checked by moving the wheel left/right, like testing for a bad tie rod end.

My money is on one of the lower straight control arm's ball joints being bad.

turbo_bootin
08-06-2010, 05:14 AM
^ x2

stubbs
08-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Inner tie rods are also a good possibility. Have somebody turn the wheel back and forth a few degrees for you with the car on the ground while you put your hand on the tie rods. See if you feel any play. Mine are making a nice clunking sound right now.

TheNatural
08-06-2010, 05:37 PM
If your 100% sure its not the CAs, after properly checking them, the next step for me would be to check the mounts

Watson
08-06-2010, 06:04 PM
I had a really odd clunking noise from my old car, wasnt and part of the suspension at all, it turned out that my caliper mounting bolt was loose causing the caliper to move and make a really loud clunk while driving. Just another place to check just in case.

geeky
08-06-2010, 06:09 PM
The infamous A4 clunks are usually from:
- CA
- Sway bar relating bushings
- Caliper carrier or brake pads not properly set
- the upper strut mount

If you drive over the road turtles and hear the clunks and then drive over them again while sightly pushing the brakes and the sound disappears, its related with the brakes. But for the other parts, follow walky's instructions.

toxinr
08-06-2010, 06:13 PM
thanks everyone for the input..i'll look at it tomorrow and update this.[wrench]

J Ozzie
08-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Fuck the CA's Grrr mine are so screwed!

toxinr
08-07-2010, 06:48 PM
so i check the CAs...they even clunked when i was unbolt the wheel bolts...
and my lower arms looks like this..i guess they are soo out? [:/]
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac28/toxinr/A4/control%20arm/IMG_0526.jpg

and the sway bar end link [:/]
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac28/toxinr/A4/control%20arm/IMG_0521.jpg

also i noticed some rust on subframe...is this much too much?
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac28/toxinr/A4/control%20arm/IMG_0519.jpg

thanks again guys.[:)]

Gaberossi
08-07-2010, 06:51 PM
grab some new lower CA's and that will resolve some of clunks

toxinr
08-07-2010, 06:59 PM
and....am i missing any bolts here..? [o_o]
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac28/toxinr/A4/control%20arm/IMG_0530.jpg

slvra4qm
08-28-2010, 03:57 AM
hmm I don't know how to help you out here but I'm getting some weird noises as well coming from the front of my 99.5 A4. I just had all of my front control arms, tie rode ends, end links and all changed. The shop told me my brake pads are very ugly and I should probably change them soon. The problem is when taking off I hear a little clunking/creaking and as I'm slowing down I hear a creaking noise coming from the front. You can def feel it in the brake pedal/floor boards. Any ideas...