PDA

View Full Version : Film on inside of windshield

stubbs
08-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm a bit scared to ask the question because I might not like the answer. :) I've had this 99.5 A4 since May, and it's had a problem with the inside of the windshield continually getting a buildup of a bluish film on it. I mean, I keep a cloth in the car to wipe it off every couple of days or it gets gross. My first thought was that new cars do it because of the dash plastics, but this is 11 years old, so that's not likely, and my previous '97 never did it. I also had the windshield replaced a few months ago, but I don't think it's the culprit.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's a small crack/leak in the heater core, esp. since we had a few cold days after I got it and the heater didn't seem to work nearly as well as my '97's. However, I don't smell any coolant or anything, so I'm not sure. I really don't want to tear the dash apart just to be wrong about the core, so what do you guys think? If it is the heater core, and if you have any ideas to diagnose it better, they're welcome, since I'd rather take care of it before it gets cold (and school starts again in 3 weeks).

Thanks!

edit: I have used a plastic/vinyl protectant (not Armor All, hate that stuff). It's from Black Magic, and I don't like it much either... one day I'll get some 303. Could that be part of it? It's hard to test the heater to know if it's working ok when it's 90 degrees outside!