PDA

View Full Version : ko3 to 50trim specs.

ricekikr
08-04-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm about to install my 50trim just have a couple of questions before I start taking parts apart.

Specs:
AEB
Garrett t3/t4 50trim .48
ATP clone manifold
Precision Intercooler
Precision 39mm wastegate

1. Will the ko3 oil return line fit the 50trim?
2. What about the oil inlet?
3. TIP = How come some make it go down and make a u-turn at the rail and back to the stock airbox location. Why not just make a right turn to the stock location. Whats the benefit?
4. How do you guys orient the turbo outlet (the one that goes to the intercooler), directly down or at an angle towards the frame?
5. When clocking the turbo, is there a way to torque it? Or is it really just done by feel.
6. Does the wastegate really need its own flex pipe. I would think it would be more solid without the flex pipe, since both the wastegate and the downpipe are hard connected to the manifold.

TIA, hope to be boostin soon [:D]

Seerlah
08-05-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm about to install my 50trim just have a couple of questions before I start taking parts apart.

Specs:
AEB
Garrett t3/t4 50trim .48
ATP clone manifold
Precision Intercooler
Precision 39mm wastegate

1. Will the ko3 oil return line fit the 50trim?
You will need custom stainless steel oil lines
2. What about the oil inlet?
You need proper fittings for the turbo
3. TIP = How come some make it go down and make a u-turn at the rail and back to the stock airbox location. Why not just make a right turn to the stock location. Whats the benefit?
If running a MAF, this setup seems to grant the best flow for the MAF for proper readings. More bends means more turbulance. With a nice streth before the MAF, the compressor is able to draw in air at more of a straight flow. This results in a smoothe idle and more accurate reading by the MAF sensor.
4. How do you guys orient the turbo outlet (the one that goes to the intercooler), directly down or at an angle towards the frame?
People like to have the outlet of the compressor housing have the hot side charge pipe come from under and outside of the frame rail. The compressor outlet will sit at an angle roughly 45* pointing downwards towards the outside of the frame rail.
5. When clocking the turbo, is there a way to torque it? Or is it really just done by feel.
Not sure on this one. Most people do things by feel, anyways. Too tight and you run the possibility of napping bolts. Too loose and you run the chance of having the bolts walk off over time. Locktite would be a good choice here.
6. Does the wastegate really need its own flex pipe. I would think it would be more solid without the flex pipe, since both the wastegate and the downpipe are hard connected to the manifold.
The flex joint on the reroute deters the reroute from snapping. Having it more solid in this situation isn't really a good thing. As much as the engine flexes and manifold expands, the reroute is not in a constant state. The flex joint permits the reroute to move in accordance with these conditions. Upgraded mounts will def help in the longevity of the reroute and grant a more solid drivetrain. But a flex joint is needed in this case.

TIA, hope to be boostin soon [:D]

.[cool].

ricekikr
08-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Seerlah, thanks for the info :)

Would you also happen to know if the stock injector clips (the ones that clips the injector to the fuel rail) fit Siemens 630cc, coz, I couldn't get em on. The siemens are on the car, no leaks, works great, except I couldn't get the clips on.

grillhands
08-05-2010, 09:19 AM
you need the spacers to run the 630cc injectors to make them fil nice and tight.

EuroDriven
08-05-2010, 10:44 AM
you need the spacers to run the 630cc injectors to make them fil nice and tight.

I didn't have any issues installing my 630s.

grillhands
08-05-2010, 12:54 PM
i had to use spacers because i couldn't get them tighten down enough. If it works than that's awesome.

ricekikr
08-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I have an AEB, no spacers needed. Just want to know if the "clip" thats on the stock injectors will also fit the Siemens. I couldn't get mine on.

The clip is part #7. I also don't think I have part# 18

http://etka.auto2.ru/epc/etka/B156/133300.png

Seerlah
08-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Really can't help you with that one. My knowledge is limited[:p]. But I was wondering how much boost you plan on running, assuming this is the stock block (if you don't mind me asking)?

EuroDriven
08-05-2010, 04:17 PM
The clips work for any injectors. Just take the old one, out and put the new one in. Not exactly sure what #18 is but this is all I did, and I have an AEB as well.

ricekikr
08-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Really can't help you with that one. My knowledge is limited[:p]. But I was wondering how much boost you plan on running, assuming this is the stock block (if you don't mind me asking)?

Around 18-20psi. Yup stock block.

The clips work for any injectors. Just take the old one, out and put the new one in. Not exactly sure what #18 is but this is all I did, and I have an AEB as well.

Oh ok. I'll try pushing the injectors in a bit more. Thanks :)

grillhands
08-05-2010, 06:46 PM
50 trim is good for 420hp.

Seerlah
08-06-2010, 02:01 AM
There was AZ member who threw a rod through his block running the 50trim. His user name is 1fstavant or something like that. Just a fair warning.

.Mad Hatter.
08-06-2010, 03:54 AM
not sure about 630cc but i just put 415cc genesis on my car and the stock clip fits. in order to do so though you cannot put the new injector all the way in the fuel rail, just enough that the o-ring clears

elballoonrat
08-06-2010, 04:38 AM
you don't need a custom oil feed line, you do need to modify the stock one. search for my build thread on vortex, it has pictures

ricekikr
08-06-2010, 05:00 AM
you don't need a custom oil feed line, you do need to modify the stock one. search for my build thread on vortex, it has pictures

Couldn't find your build thread lol. I did see your thread-o-rama.

Did the wastegate clear the mounts, when you mounted it directly on the manifold? I'm also planning on using a ATP clone manifold, and a external wastegate (precision 39mm)

ricekikr
08-06-2010, 06:54 AM
The injector clips do fit! [:)] Just needed to push it in the fuel rail a bit more.

Just finished re-installing them. But I ripped one of the o-rings and used one from the old injectors. Doesn't seem to be leaking, at idle.

Are those o-rings special fuel/heat resistant o-rings? Or just plain o-rings. I want to replace it with a new one, since the oem injector o-rings are already 13years old (but very low mileage, around 21,000 miles only). Or should I just leave it as-is or replace all o-rings?

I have access to WURTH o-rings, but don't know if they're fuel/heat resistant.

Note: When installing injectors and one of the o-rings is left in the manifold, immediately get it out before it falls in. When I re-did the injectors one o-ring fell inside [headbang]. Took me around 15min to look for the o-ring in the manifold and fish it out. It wasn't exactly fun.

grillhands
08-06-2010, 08:01 AM
There was AZ member who threw a rod through his block running the 50trim. His user name is 1fstavant or something like that. Just a fair warning.

That's why i'm only running a 46 trim. It has about 60hp less capability as a 50trim.

Lazer Viking
08-06-2010, 08:30 AM

he put down 377awhp on stock block, it was inevitble that he windowed it.

ricekikr
08-06-2010, 08:32 AM
That's why i'm only running a 46 trim. It has about 60hp less capability as a 50trim.

In my opinion your actually your more likely to bend a rod using a 46trim vs a 50trim (assuming both are .63 a/r). What breaks stock motors are torque spikes. Smaller turbos' (quick spool) are more likely to produce torque spikes vs big turbo (lag). What I'm not sure is if your turbo will spool quicker (46trim .63a/r) or mine (50trim .48a/r). This is why I chose the t3/t4 50trim (.48) over the t3s60. And I only expect to hit 18-20psi, which wouldn't even come close to 420hp.

IIRC there are a couple people here that bent rods using the stock ko3, or was it a ko4. Torque spike is usually what kills the 1.8t.

Lazer Viking
08-06-2010, 08:34 AM
just spend the money on a new feed line.. and the wastegate will NOT mount directly to the manifold.. there is a motor mount there, a relocation tube is nessecary

my 550's were a whore to get in, they were too short to be used with the stock rail.. ended up cutting the mounting tabs off the rail so it would sit lower

ricekikr
08-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Lol I didn't think of that. I could ask my fabricator to just make a new line. [:D] And be able to go back to stock without problem.

Hows your car running?