PDA

View Full Version : royal purple 10w 40 or 10w 30

flynnr
08-03-2010, 05:40 AM
hey guys. pretty lame question but curious what you would recommend between these two... the next oil change ido (in a month or so) will bring me into winter (i live in minnesota) so will either or these be alright for me? im bt so i want to be extra cautious with these things i guess (sorry about the crappy question) i have both of these at my work though so am curious which i should grab (if either)

prodrive
08-03-2010, 05:54 AM
I was looking for the Motul 10W30 for my next oil change ,I like to see the people opinions as well. But my set-up is a little differante than yours.
I have a aftermarket 19 row cooler with thermostatic plate and my oil temp. didn't go over 220F in summer.
Therefore, I prefered 10W30 for my set-up. Btw, why did you prefer Royal Purple ,it's not %100 syntetic as I know .?

flynnr
08-03-2010, 06:01 AM
i have never used royal purple before... i have heard good things about it and assumed it to be better than the mobil 1 synthetic that i have been using up to this point. this not true???

flynnr
08-03-2010, 06:11 AM
i have never used royal purple before... i have heard good things about it and assumed it to be better than the mobil 1 synthetic that i have been using up to this point. this not true???

somebody5788
08-03-2010, 06:18 AM
I was looking for the Motul 10W30 for my next oil change ,I like to see the people opinions as well. But my set-up is a little differante than yours.
I have a aftermarket 19 row cooler with thermostatic plate and my oil temp. didn't go over 220F in summer.
Therefore, I prefered 10W30 for my set-up. Btw, why did you prefer Royal Purple ,it's not %100 syntetic as I know .?

Very very few of the oils you get are fully synthetic despite saying it on the bottle

Scotty@Advanced
08-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Very very few of the oils you get are fully synthetic despite saying it on the bottle

That is true however it should say somewhere on the packaging if it's a mix of syntehtic or natural oils, albeit in very small and obscure print.

Believe it or not Walmart offers a house brand of synthetic oil that has gotten some pretty decent reviews and it's quite a bit cheaper than many of the name brand oils. i think it's called super-tech or something like that.

Bobistheoilguy.com and themotoroilsite.com are decent oil/lubrication sites to research this stuff on.

neil08
08-03-2010, 08:02 AM
german spec castrol, never did me wrong living in up state new york through a winter.

flynnr
08-03-2010, 11:14 AM
german spec castrol, never did me wrong living in up state new york through a winter.

where do you find this at?

Shhmaudi
08-03-2010, 06:02 PM
That is true however it should say somewhere on the packaging if it's a mix of syntehtic or natural oils, albeit in very small and obscure print.

Believe it or not Walmart offers a house brand of synthetic oil that has gotten some pretty decent reviews and it's quite a bit cheaper than many of the name brand oils. i think it's called super-tech or something like that.

Bobistheoilguy.com and themotoroilsite.com are decent oil/lubrication sites to research this stuff on.

No shit huh? Anyone running super tech in their BT a4s?

FNK
08-03-2010, 06:48 PM
So far, the only viable engine oil I found so far is the Castrol 5w-40 syntec german blenc. Oil stay clear up to 7~8000 km and available at Canadian Tires. Although not the best, this oil will not degrade as quickly as better performing oil and I don't burn oil anymore! 5/5

Scotty@Advanced
08-04-2010, 06:37 AM
No shit huh? Anyone running super tech in their BT a4s?

No big turbos but I've run it in all my cars A4 1.8t, RS6, A6, Jeep, ML420 and no complaints for 3 years.