PDA

View Full Version : 2001 A4 1.8TQ Tranny issue

Papa_Dios
07-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Hello all first off I searched but got a bunch of useless google links/threads...I have a 2001 a4 1.8t Quattro and yesterday I noticed that the car is bucking very hard and feels like it wants to go into the next gear but cannot (auto/tip). Since this happened very late last night when the CEL came on I couldn't have it checked. I remember having a similar issue a long time ago with an Eclipse I had and it just needed tranny fluid (which looks to be a PITA for a DIY'ER) . I was wondering if that would throw a CEL though? I just want to be careful and sure since the car does not drive above 20-30 without bucking pretty bad. Thanks in advance. BTW my center LCD display doesn't work so I wouldnt be able to see any messages if there were any.

update:

pulled the P0730 code (incorrect gear ratio). Had it cleared and hasnt come back. Anyone have any clue? Maybe flush tranny and filter change?

walky_talky20
07-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Incorrect gear ratio is basically a "slip" code. Could be internal damage in the tranmission or, if you're lucky, if could just be incorrect fluid level. First thing to do is check the fluid level. It is probably easiest to just change the fluid at the same time as you will be doing all the same steps. The fluid is expensive, though, so you may wish to just top it off and try that.

Here is a DIY.
http://www.audiction.com/audi-maintenance/audi-01v-tipronic-transmission-fluid-change/

Papa_Dios
07-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks walky yea I'm going to try that hopefully its not a bad tranny

walky_talky20
07-31-2010, 02:08 PM
You may want to drain the fluid into a clean container and inspect it for metal chips, etc. If the fluid looks nasty, you may want to do the whole monty and drop the tranny pan, clean it, and change the filter too. I think Blauparts sells kits for this that even include a hand pump for the fluid.

eurodubbin91
08-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I have the same problem but i have a 5 speed and it pops out of gear in 1st unless i hold it also my tranny grinds and at idle with the clutch engaged you can hear a whirring noise... do you think i could be low on gear oil? theres oil all over the bottom of my car but i cant find where its leaking from... suggestions please?

walky_talky20
08-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Hmm. This thread was about problems with a Tiptronic trans, not 5 speed manual.

Anyhow, grinding with the clutch held is probably just the throwout bearing. Popping out of gear is more serious. Best fix is probably to start looking for a junkyard tranny. That's cheaper than repairing yours.

eurodubbin91
08-06-2010, 09:48 AM
yea ive thought about the clutch not engaging all the way and low on gear oil but thanks