PDA

View Full Version : Audi PSA. WARNING, on Wheel Bearing, ABS Sensor jobs

s vier
07-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Do NOT seat the ABS sensor until AFTER the axel bolt is set. If you don't heed this warning you will crush the end like a tube of toothpaste like I just did.

You know, I've done a lot of B5 Audi work over the last few years and it never ceases to amaze me how F'ed up the engineers at Audi are. A simple washer or grommet would have fixed this design error. There really was no reason for this to happen. I'll chalk this up with the K03 failures, pinch bolts, fuel filter location, lower control arm bolt orientation and other random stupid shyte they have done to us.

That is all.

-Brady

walky_talky20
07-29-2010, 09:31 PM
I agree, some stuff is just plain stupid. For example, I just changed a front wheel bearing on a B5 Passat today. It required me to take out the *Glove Box*. I have to say, the glove box removal and re-installation was probably the hardest part of the job. There was only like a thousand different ways they could have made it easier.

bw86
07-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Weird, I just changed the front/pass wheel bearing/axle bolt in my '99 and I torqued the axle bolt down after the abs sensor was in. I have no problems.

I even went out and took the sensor out to see if I hit it after reading this, there were no marks on it.

somebody5788
07-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Properly installed sensors do have spacers............

I made that mistake on the crank position sensor.....

s vier
07-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Properly installed sensors do have spacers............

I made that mistake on the crank position sensor.....
My sensor did have a rubber bumper grommet on it however, it as too weak to stop it from going that last (and expensive) 1/4".

s vier
07-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Weird, I just changed the front/pass wheel bearing/axle bolt in my '99 and I torqued the axle bolt down after the abs sensor was in. I have no problems.

I even went out and took the sensor out to see if I hit it after reading this, there were no marks on it.

I am willing to bet they fixed this on the facelift cars. My 00' S4 never had this problem.