PDA

View Full Version : Rack And Pinion Question

Bvulic
07-29-2010, 11:51 AM
I have been experiencing a clunking noise when i go over bumps in the road at low speeds coming from the passenger front wheel. The control arms are all in great shape. I have a feeling the rack and pinion is loose. Is this a possibility? And is there a way to tighten it?

Scotty@Advanced
07-29-2010, 12:01 PM
I have been experiencing a clunking noise when i go over bumps in the road at low speeds coming from the passenger front wheel. The control arms are all in great shape. I have a feeling the rack and pinion is loose. Is this a possibility? And is there a way to tighten it?

It's probably a loose control arm. Same thing happened to me and one control arm bolt was loose.

Bvulic
07-29-2010, 12:05 PM
You were having the same exact problem? The bolt is loose? or a control arm is bad?

PuntA4
07-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah, its a very slim to none chance its the rack.

Bvulic
07-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Yeah, its a very slim to none chance its the rack.

So You're also betting its the loose control arm?

A war of 4
07-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Could be a lot of things. The rack only has 3 bolts holding it in, check them if it'll make you feel better. Pick that corner up, leave the wheel on, grab the wheel and see if you can move it everyway possible. If it moves, start looking at where the slop is coming from. tie rod end, sway end link, upper strut mount, control arm joint, etc...

PuntA4
07-30-2010, 04:35 PM
So You're also betting its the loose control arm?

Yes sir

spyder101
07-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Check the ball joints of the arms and tie rod end to see if they are split open. I have also seen the bolts come loose that hold the rack as well.

PuntA4
07-30-2010, 09:54 PM
As long as we are on clunky suspension lol. Everytime i hit a bump a loud flunk noises comes from the back passenger wheel well, sounds just like a bad strut, but how can i check to see if its the strut or bushing or any other ideas?