PDA

View Full Version : Head Options

Watson
07-28-2010, 04:57 AM
So I found out that my AEB head is cracked and was the problem to my overheating, now I cannot find an AEB anywhere around where I live, I have found an ATW and another one from a 2001 1.8t a4. Am I able to use the different engine code head on my AEB block? If so is there any modifications that are needed or is it a direct swap? Also what do I do if the timing isnt at TDC when I get the new head? Can I just twist it to TDC or should I make sure that if I get it from the scrapper they put it at TDC before I grab it?

Watson
07-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Bump, I need to find this out soon!

Seerlah
07-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Not sure about the TDC, but the AWM head should be fine on the AEB engine. I am going by the logic if I can place an AEB head on my AWM engine then it should also work vice versa. But you may run into smaller issues, like IM issue. You will have turbulance with the intake air hitting the walls of the smaller port if using your AEB IM. Not sure what issues this will have on the engine.

On a side note, you can find AEB cylinder heads on ebay. They may be a bit more pricey, but still an AEB head (fully assembled). Clicky Click (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/audi-vw-cylinder-head-1-8t-engine-motor-awm-aeb-atw-awm-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aA4QQhashZitem3a5d3 992e6QQitemZ250672157414QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ 5fPartsQ5fAccessories) (I noticed the big port, but his description says he has heads for any engine code)

A4Rob
07-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Search the classifieds here. I believe a few guys are parting out cars.

rms-s4
07-28-2010, 03:43 PM
i have an aeb head that just needs valves for one cylinder ( rod broke) . i can ship it to you no problem. pay me 200 for it plus shipping pm me

Watson
07-29-2010, 04:25 AM
I could always port out the new head to make it bigger, fuck may as well port out the intake manifold too while im at it. Is there no different butterfly plates or something in the newer heads compared to the AEB?

Not sure about the TDC, but the AWM head should be fine on the AEB engine. I am going by the logic if I can place an AEB head on my AWM engine then it should also work vice versa. But you may run into smaller issues, like IM issue. You will have turbulance with the intake air hitting the walls of the smaller port if using your AEB IM. Not sure what issues this will have on the engine.

On a side note, you can find AEB cylinder heads on ebay. They may be a bit more pricey, but still an AEB head (fully assembled). Clicky Click (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/audi-vw-cylinder-head-1-8t-engine-motor-awm-aeb-atw-awm-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aA4QQhashZitem3a5d3 992e6QQitemZ250672157414QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ 5fPartsQ5fAccessories) (I noticed the big port, but his description says he has heads for any engine code)

EuroDriven
07-29-2010, 05:46 AM
I have an AEB head on a running car and am in Western NY, almost straight south across the lake from you. Google maps tells me it is about a 4 and a half hour drive from you.

But I would assume yes you can put an AWM head on, it you just be a small port IIRC. I believe you can just twist it to TDC, just use that pulley, it would be no different then just using the timing belt to turn it.

terraflata
07-29-2010, 09:04 AM
I could always port out the new head to make it bigger, fuck may as well port out the intake manifold too while im at it. Is there no different butterfly plates or something in the newer heads compared to the AEB?

You will never be able to port match an AEB IM with an ATW head.....the port size difference is quite considerable, seeing as you will already have to buy another head, just keep looking and score yourself an AEB head.

EuroDriven
07-29-2010, 11:36 AM
You will never be able to port match an AEB IM with an ATW head.....the port size difference is quite considerable, seeing as you will already have to buy another head, just keep looking and score yourself an AEB head.

If you do this, do it right, port and polish AEB head and IM.

Scotty@Advanced
07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
The later heads have a bunch of stuff you'd have to plug and the AEB has larger ports, so a later head is not a bolt in.

Watson
07-29-2010, 01:22 PM
So I have a 99.5, the head im looking at is from a 2000 1.8t ATW. Now is there alot more differences between those 2 heads?

The later heads have a bunch of stuff you'd have to plug and the AEB has larger ports, so a later head is not a bolt in.

EuroDriven
07-29-2010, 01:24 PM
So I have a 99.5, the head im looking at is from a 2000 1.8t ATW. Now is there alot more differences between those 2 heads?

My Head is off a 99.5 [:D]

Can you elaborate? I am not aware of the differences, thanks!

Scotty@Advanced
07-30-2010, 07:19 AM
My Head is off a 99.5 [:D]

Can you elaborate? I am not aware of the differences, thanks!

The AEB head has larger intake ports.

The 200 and up heads have smaller intake ports, and are drilled for the Secondary air injection in the exhaust ports.

I also believe that the cam adjuster is different but am not too sure.

EuroDriven
07-30-2010, 09:40 AM
The AEB head has larger intake ports.

The 200 and up heads have smaller intake ports, and are drilled for the Secondary air injection in the exhaust ports.

I also believe that the cam adjuster is different but am not too sure.

Know about the ports, but didn't think about sai stuff.

Seerlah
07-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Place on a SAI block off plate and you are good to go. And they do use different cam adjusters.