PDA

View Full Version : Problem = Steering Creak / Noise

ricekikr
07-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Steering starts to creak after about 1 hour of driving.

When it creaks it will continue to creak until cooled down.

Creaks even when:
1. Engine is off
2. At any speed

Creak is more apparent when steering slowly (tik tik tik tik tik sound). At first I thought there was something loose in the engine bay, but realized it was the steering making the tik tik tik sound. It makes a slightly high pitched sound when turned quickly (even with engine off)

Facts:
1. 1month old tie-rods (inner and outer + all front control arms); but already did a trackday.
2. Sprayed steering column u-joint with white lithium grease (maybe I should put axle grease instead)

Anyone one else have this problem? When I searched the forums everyone kept telling those with the same problem to change the tie-rods or use white lithium grease.

ricekikr
07-27-2010, 03:45 AM
anyone? [confused]

ECS Tuning-Audi
07-27-2010, 11:01 AM
I have to ask - no leak spots on the pavement? seepage on the power steering rack?

Assuming not - how is your belt tension/how old is your belt? A loose belt or an overly tightened belt can cause the pump to not move fluid adequately - equating to a creak or whirring noise.

Also, how old is the fluid? If it is very old a drain and fill could be in order. Dirty fluid is hard for the pump to process.

TheNatural
07-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Id say check the Power steering system. Make sure it is above the lower line when cold, and that there is only green ps fluid in there - The stuff that only Audi/VW sells

ricekikr
07-27-2010, 06:58 PM
I have to ask - no leak spots on the pavement? seepage on the power steering rack?

Assuming not - how is your belt tension/how old is your belt? A loose belt or an overly tightened belt can cause the pump to not move fluid adequately - equating to a creak or whirring noise.

Also, how old is the fluid? If it is very old a drain and fill could be in order. Dirty fluid is hard for the pump to process.

I didn't think old fluid can cause creaking, I only thought it caused whining. I was already planning on changing the fluid when I install the power steering cooler. Hopefully only fluid is all that's needed.

ricekikr
07-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Tried axle grease, still the same. Probably not getting grease inside the bearings or u-joint. Are the bearings of the steering column replaceable?

I thought about the steering fluid again, I don't think its whats causing this, because even with the engine OFF, there's still a creaking sound. It's also definitely not the control arms / tie rods, because outside the car and in the engine bay, the creaking sound CAN'T be heard.

fbdohc
07-29-2010, 06:03 AM
Thats the same problem i have
when i leave in the morning, it doesnt make any sound. If my car is lifted , the sound is less louder.
But when im on the road it makes a ''crack crack'' sound like if something is not tighten enough
i went for the second time to my local mechanics , he wasnt able to locate where the sound was coming from, i know he put some grease somewhere around come controls arm bolts , it stopped the sound for couple of kilometers and then re appear.
I changed my sterring rack and all my control arm last winter (meyle)

ricekikr
07-29-2010, 06:32 AM
Try greasing the steering column u-joints. It worked for some people, not for me =(

Can you hear the noise outside the car? (ie. Let someone move the steering wheel, while you listen for the noise outside)

fbdohc
07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Yup we can hear the sound from the outside