PDA

View Full Version : B6 S4 swaybar on B5 A4 Quattro? Anyone done this?

quattrosedan
07-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Long story short, acquired a b6 s4 sway bar, looking at putting it on my 97 a4. Not interested in any comments about why it will enhance/kill performance, just curious if anyone has seen or done this. It looks like some very simple fabrication will be required. I have only held it up to the stock one and looked, but I can't see any reason not to do this...?

somebody5788
07-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Long story short, acquired a b6 s4 sway bar, looking at putting it on my 97 a4. Not interested in any comments about why it will enhance/kill performance, just curious if anyone has seen or done this. It looks like some very simple fabrication will be required. I have only held it up to the stock one and looked, but I can't see any reason not to do this...?

Just try it........

flynnr
07-26-2010, 07:57 AM
if you plan to make it more stable than it comes stock by the 'fabricating' that is required go for it! but if you have to compromise anything at all you will be better off keeping the stocker than risk using something that could snap and seriously fk up something that gets in its way

quattrosedan
07-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Well it seems to almost be a stock replacement, i.e. it looks like it will bolt up and clear the gas tank with no issues. I have not taken off the old one yet and actually put it in place yet though. I would have a hard time believing that it would snap, it just might have too stiff of a ride. It is nearly double the diameter of the stock one. I just want to stiffen up the rear end so that I can track the car when I get the new turbo on.
I'm going out of town for a week and a half but look for a response in maybe two weeks, hopefully with some pics and maybe a super cheap rear swaybar upgrade?

somebody5788
07-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Well it seems to almost be a stock replacement, i.e. it looks like it will bolt up and clear the gas tank with no issues. I have not taken off the old one yet and actually put it in place yet though. I would have a hard time believing that it would snap, it just might have too stiff of a ride. It is nearly double the diameter of the stock one. I just want to stiffen up the rear end so that I can track the car when I get the new turbo on.
I'm going out of town for a week and a half but look for a response in maybe two weeks, hopefully with some pics and maybe a super cheap rear swaybar upgrade?

My only reason for saying what I did is that its uncharted territory and takes all of 20 min to attempt it. You need the c clamp things for the s4 bar though.

quattrosedan
07-26-2010, 01:27 PM
I have those. I'll post when I finish. Thanks.

Kyle H
07-26-2010, 01:47 PM
if it bolts up you'll be fine.

protocol_droid
07-26-2010, 01:57 PM

I think he was implying that the subframe would crack since even Hotchkis has the subframe mounts to avoid this. There are pics on here that show the aforementioned cracking using standard swaybars without the extra subframe mounts for stability.

Shhmaudi
07-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Post pics/ change in drive ability when your done!

Are you a sport or non-sport?