PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid leaking - where to look?

adr3naline fix
07-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Hey guys,
I'm in a pinch and won't have much time to check over the whole brake system, so I'm jumping on here to see if anyone can point me in the right direction as far as where to look for a leak? The reservoir and surrounding area are clean and dry. No drips on cement after driving.

It's a very slow, but sure leak.

MattzWarsteiner
07-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Have you checked the ABS power module next to the master cylinder reservoir? It's easy to spot - has a ton of brake lines coming in and out of it.

Look at your wheels. If one is dirtier than the others start there.
Pull all four and check the calipers and lines. Since it is a slow leak you might not see drops but wherever there is brake fluid, dirt will collect and that is your telltale. If nothing obvious appears, look closer and use a flashlight.

adr3naline fix
07-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Nothing was around the ABS module. One wheel is dirtier, thats for sure. I took it off, and had the gf pump the brakes, hard. Nothing showed up after all the brake pump and driving around the block implementing some heavy braking. Not even a drip. I'm lost.

arorem
07-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Could be a caliper.

EuroDriven
07-24-2010, 04:18 PM
I am confused you gave no symptoms, you just said it is leaking... How do you know it is leaking if you don't see a leak?

MattzWarsteiner
07-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Did you use a flashlight when looking?
Checked the flexible hose for stains?
Checked both connections of the hose - one at the caliper & one on the car frame?
If those things look kosher, I would pull the caliper on the dirty wheel and look closer.

Could be a caliper.

adr3naline fix
07-24-2010, 06:33 PM
I am confused you gave no symptoms, you just said it is leaking... How do you know it is leaking if you don't see a leak?

Brake fluid reservoir decreasing level causing BRAKE indicator on dash to beep and flash. Re-fill to tip-top and then 10 days later it is back below the MIN line.

Did you use a flashlight when looking?
Checked the flexible hose for stains?
Checked both connections of the hose - one at the caliper & one on the car frame?
If those things look kosher, I would pull the caliper on the dirty wheel and look closer.

Didn't use a flash light, nothing was wet/moist around the entire assembly. :(

Would the piston be faulty or what?

EuroDriven
07-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Would the piston be faulty or what?

Yes. You could probably buy a rebuild kit with new seals in it but I am not sure about this.

walky_talky20
07-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Yep, could be fluid leaking past the piston seal. It won't immediately hit the ground as the fluid has to make it past the dust boot first. It might just seep out very slowly.

Do the brakes "pull" in either direction on a long, steady brake application?

bofa deez
07-24-2010, 09:47 PM
clutch slave cylinder perhaps?

adr3naline fix
12-17-2010, 06:17 PM
I forgot to wrap this thread up.

The tip of the slave cylinder tore, leaking all the fluid into the clutch area. Thus I couldn't see a leak until I pulled the trans.

gtsingh91
12-30-2016, 08:40 AM
I'm dealing with a similar situation here. The BRAKE red light comes on once every 2 months (roughly 2-3k miles). I'm not seeing any drops and my calipers look pretty dry. You guys think it's the slave cylinder? No symptoms at all, just need to refill a little bit every couple months.

gtsingh91
01-02-2017, 03:17 PM
No one?

SN95Audi87
01-03-2017, 08:38 AM
A year ago my rear passenger caliper seized up causing me to loose brake pressure. I regained the pressure by pumping the brake pedal a few times but then the brake pedal turned hard as rock with barely any modulation. Ironically I didn't manage to loose much brake fluid but I would check this area. I ended up replacing the caliper with rebuilt caliper.

gtsingh91
02-12-2017, 03:11 PM
If my calipers are dry and there are small drops of brake fluid underneath the car on the sway bar, where could that be coming from? I checked the slave cylinder really quick today (touched all around it) and it's dry and the surrounding areas on top of the transmission are dry. However, I know it's leaking really slowly and there are tiny droplets that are about to fall, but don't make puddles underneath the car.

gtsingh91
02-14-2017, 01:15 PM
Anyone?

gtsingh91
02-16-2017, 07:28 AM
Nobody had a leak anywhere else aside from a slave cylinder or caliper piston? Does the slave cylinder leak over the transmission or is it something internal that you cannot see until you take it out?