PDA

View Full Version : any and all suggestions

s4dc3
07-23-2010, 04:01 PM
First things first.00 A4 1.8 quattro. i plan on getting exaust, intercooler, coil overs,clutch,wheels and tires and then chip it. trying to keep total cost BELOW $6,000. what are some reliable brands i can trust??

onemoremile
07-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Chip first, skip the intercooler, go to the FAQ for the rest.

s4dc3
07-23-2010, 04:44 PM
i was under the impression that it is best to chip after making all other mods. can someone explain this for me?

Seerlah
07-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Here are your first best choices for modifications, where people have different ones to choose from.

ECU flash or suspension. Would you preferr better handling, or roughly 35 more chp? Me personally, I chose comfort first. My first mods were window tint and subwoofers in the trunk. Then things progressed from there.

EuroDriven
07-23-2010, 05:33 PM
i was under the impression that it is best to chip after making all other mods. can someone explain this for me?

I guess it depends on your budget mostly. You have a few options:

- As seerlah stated you can go for comfort first. I would personally love to have tinted windows, your car is cooler in the sun and your AC is more effective in the summer. More privacy looks good, "thief deterrent".

- You can get chipped w/ no other mods, this is about what 500$ for a decent chip like GIAC but this is the stage 1+ chip, just better then stock, increases boost levels, adds about 35 chp.

- Start with mods:
- Exhaust: HFC (high flow cat) is about 250$, with a new muffler and resonator. Over all if you pay a shop to weld it up you can spend as little as 500$ total, or as much as 1500 for a pre built borla or magna flow system.
- Once you get that done, I think you can get a stage 2 reflash, which is about 600$ I believe for something like GIAC.
- Not sure about anything else since I never did this stuff.

But there is a list of things you should to "prep" your car for everything. Make sure there is no check engine lights, make sure your ABS is working properly etc. Get your car in good running error free condition before you start to mod it. You should get a boost gauge, this will allow you to monitor boost levels and possibly see if you have a vacuum leak. This is MANDATORY. Also you need at least an upgraded DV other wise your OEM one will rip and you will need a new one anyways. This can be as little as 50$ I think to as much as about 175$ for a top of the line re-build-able valve you will never have to replace.

Seerlah this sound right?

Seerlah
07-23-2010, 05:51 PM
That's the route I took (with a bunch of other stuff along the way, with my current project coming along smoothley). Here is the route I took:

1. Window tint and 2 10" "weak" subwoofers, but gets the job done.
2. HFC with exhaust system
3. ECU flash
4. Coilovers

There are other things I did along the way, ut that was the jest of it. My advice would be to research a lot. Then research some more. Then research even more (the B5 A4 Wiki is a good place to start). Make sure your car is 100%, then walk your own route. That's what I did/do. But one thing is for sure. You will def want to get a boost gauge. This would be wanted for a completely stock vehicle to a heavily modded one (these cars should have had one stock from the factory, but they don't).

seanj130
07-23-2010, 08:07 PM
for 6 grand... maybe just coil overs and a ko4 setup?.. that sounds about right.. screw this chip stuff.

jturnbull
07-23-2010, 08:52 PM
if your going to go with a chip make sure that you get a diverter valve and boost gauge, you will get boost leaks i can assure you

s4dc3
07-24-2010, 12:44 AM
thanks a bunch everyone!

Seerlah
07-24-2010, 01:48 AM
Go with a Eurodyne ECU flash. It will permit you to enjoy your stock turbo with extra boost, then you can upgrqde to a big turbo file at cost (ie stock turbo flash is $500 and a BT file is $750, so it will cost you $250 for an upgraded file. You don't lose money this way).