PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt head what do to? Couple different scenarios..

thenofjboy
07-23-2010, 12:12 PM
So I have 4 bent intake valves that need to be replaced. My mechanic said he could do, along with the timing belt kit, head gasket kit etc but I was thinking of just getting the head rebuilt. I found a local guy who would do it for $495, which includes cleaning, pressurizing, 3 way valve job, 48hr or less turnaround time, offers a warranty but never had to back it up, replace ALL the seals/gaskets needed. I was going to get the head bolts, gasket kit, valves, & guides. Hes going to use all the good valves and replace the bent ones.

If I had the local guy do it, Should I have them replace all the vales since the head is open? I could see it going both ways. But like the saying goes, if its not broken, donít fix it. Is there anything negative about having 4 new intake valves and leaving all the other exhaust/intake valves in there as there are?

Ebay is ok for some things, like LED bulbs etc LOL I know there are some reputable people on there with good deals BUT im DEF not going to cheap out on this head. So I was 99% sure I was going to get the local guy to do the rebuild but then my pops found this guy on ebay that will do a full rebuild with OEM parts and he pays for shipping both ways since he needs my head & itís only $300, he always does the testing, cleaning & offers a warranty. so thatís REAL cheap & not sure how hes making $$ unless hes getting the parts REAL cheap. I still need to pick his brain to see what testing he does..

These are some quick numbers after looking around, they arnt exact but they are close enough , so please donít dissect the prices, I know there are cheap valves & kits out thereÖas well as more expensive ones.
8 intake valves $100-170 give or take
12 exhaust valves - $80-100ish.
New gaskets kits ( the whole kit costs anywhere from $75-$250 depending what the kit includes and who makes it)

I also found some deals on used heads, like with with 82k on it for $400 and a couple others that were similar but im a little iffy about that. I like the head about having a rebuilt head and donít mind spending a lil extra money for this.

I have all weekend to decide & was about to pull the trigger on a gasket kit, head bolts & guides for $140 but I need some input ....

Thanks in advance!

EuroDriven
07-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Don't do the ebay thing...how do you know you will even get it back? 495 for the rebuild + timing belt seems like a good deal.

Nebone
07-23-2010, 12:31 PM
I have a fully fully disassembled and cleaned small port head if you need one. All parts are line new and I have new seals for it including the head gasket. Assembly only costs like $150 and you end up with a brand new head.

thenofjboy
07-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Don't do the ebay thing...how do you know you will even get it back? 495 for the rebuild + timing belt seems like a good deal.

the rebuild guy was just going to do the head etc for $495

the shop where my car is now is going to do the timing belt and either A) slap on the rebuilt head i get or B) do it all themselves - i still need to talk to him to see what other tests, cleaning etc hes going to do.

thenofjboy
07-23-2010, 12:51 PM
I have a fully fully disassembled and cleaned small port head if you need one. All parts are line new and I have new seals for it including the head gasket. Assembly only costs like $150 and you end up with a brand new head.

thanks for the offer but id really like to have a large port BUT ill keep it in mind - good looking

EuroDriven
07-23-2010, 01:24 PM
thanks for the offer but id really like to have a large port BUT ill keep it in mind - good looking

I have an AEB head on a parts car...PM me if you are serious.

Euromike
07-23-2010, 01:32 PM
I had a local guy refinish mine with a 6 angle valve job for 200 per head. All 30 valves.

i supplied parts, and i suggest you do the same.

EuroDriven
07-23-2010, 04:42 PM
That seems like a good price for labor. See if you can save money by just bringing him the head as well.

A4Rob
07-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Get the FCP Groton head kit for $225 shipped. Comes with intake and exhaust valves, head gasket, valve cover gasket, and pretty much all the top end gaskets. I have been down that road too many times.

Just replace the bent valves. Your non bent old valves are still good if they seat right. No need to fix what is not broken and risk the valves not seating right.