PDA

View Full Version : A Nice quiet performance exhaust for 2.8 12v

TheNatural
07-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Ive been searching and searching and Cant really find anything on a nice vibrant exhaust muffler that wont sound too loud. I want somthing that sounds stock while driving through the city/town, but once I really open her up you can hear a nice deep throttle.. Anyone have any experience in this? Ive come to the onclusion to either go with an APR S4 muffler with stock resonator or a Militek muffler.. What do you guys think?

Kronic Budz
07-23-2010, 01:11 AM
if you do a muffler and resonator it will be loud. I think any muffler that sounds good to you will be fine.

TheNatural
07-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Wait, changing my muffler and keeping my resonator??? Is that what you meant?? That dosent make sense.. Well, I just found out that the resonator has been replaced with a pipe on my car... Hopefully I can find a quiet enough exhaust for my needs.

Jc61990
07-23-2010, 06:46 PM
hes saying get rid of the stock res and muffler. and put in a new muffler and res. being that you have no res then just go for a muffler, it shouldnt be too bad.

i have a 1.8T Straight piped. Cat-Less, Res-Less, and Muffler-Less... Fkin loud as hell. ordered a muffler today

TheNatural
07-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Ok. Now I just need to find the right muffler. I drive Clients around in my car everyday so I need somthing subtle but nice..

Jc61990
07-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Ok. Now I just need to find the right muffler. I drive Clients around in my car everyday so I need somthing subtle but nice..

Whats your price limit?

Borla sounds amazing.

so does a custom magnaflow setup.

the 2.8 also sounds a lot better than the 1.8 exhaust wise imho

arorem
07-23-2010, 07:02 PM
I have the Borla cat back with a hfc on my 1.8. It's pretty quiet at idle, and with gentle acceleration, but it perks up a pit when I give it some gas. It doesn't sound stock when I'm just driving through town though.

Kronic Budz
07-23-2010, 09:54 PM
I have just a basic muffler that is almost identical to a magnaflow(same design) but is longer and also more skinny thus being quieter " by 15%" supposedly. Sometimes I want it louder but its fine. Has a nice growl from 2-3500 rpm's I would think having an aftermarket resonator on a 2.8 with an aftermarket muffler would be a little too much IMO for how fast a 2.8 is. (especially a 12v) with that being said i was trying to stay away from having a loud exhaust on a car that cant go very fast :)

malanca
07-24-2010, 03:16 AM
I have a complete 2.5" APR exhaust (2 mufflers) although my car is a 1.8T. Sound and performance are very OK, not loud but really nice. Loud pipes are irritating during long rides... once I had an extreme loud pipe on a Golf, never again.

somebody5788
07-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Just get a stock resonator..... Stock res + magnaflow. There is NO performance gain on any exhaust on any of the 2.8's so keep it simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXOcquaU4Wg

It's hardly audible cruising down the highway until you start putting load on the engine.