PDA

View Full Version : power steering problems, fails when rpm's are low

kehoe603
07-21-2010, 06:49 PM
hello,

i have a 97 a4 1.8T, the power steering started groaning and now it is getting hard to steer when at low rpm's...a new pump is quite expensive and i was hoping to get a second opinion before i made any final decisions, was hoping someone has some knowledge on this. the hose coming out of the bottom or the fluid resevoir is wet with what seems to smell and look like road grime and power steering fluid, but nothing else around it has the gunk on it...just that hose, all the way down to the pump, id appreciate any helpful info very much, thanks

MattzWarsteiner
07-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Have you checked the fluid level?

VAG cars take a special type of PS fluid.
Check for leaks - wipe the hose clean and see if it gets wet again soon.

VinceDprincE
07-21-2010, 11:09 PM
i got a pump for $60 on ebay

kehoe603
07-22-2010, 09:09 AM
i have checked the fluid and was also told about the screen inside getting clogged and causing issues...both of which are fine, was also told about air getting into the lines and causing noises and problems but i have a hard time believing it would make it this bad, i could very well be wrong with that assumption cuz ive never dealt with this issue before, im gonna wipe the hose clean today and keep an eye on it...it looks like it has been like that for some time. the fluid level is slightly overfull right now so i assume the previous owner was aware of the problem, does anyone know if regular ps fluid was added if it would cause such a problem? thanks again