PDA

View Full Version : Need help figuring out these dimples in the quarter panel -looking at buying this car

Satummoo
07-21-2010, 01:30 PM
So there is a really cheap 2000 a4 avant with 135k with no accidents on carfax. Now there are a few sketch details, the person bought it from a dealer and is selling it 1 month later but is asking 4,200$. However, on both rear quarter panels, there are some ripples and imperfections. I couldn't tell of any respraying but i'm not an expert but it's on both sides but feel kinda minor. Could it be possible the rear was in a wreck or could it just be two dents that are in both rear panels?

I plan on wrapping the car with vinyl so the paint imperfections don't bother me but I don't want a car that's structurally weak or I will have suspension/handling problems. Any suggestions?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b33/Satummoo/07192010048.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b33/Satummoo/07192010045.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b33/Satummoo/07192010042.jpg

stubbs
07-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Looks like it's been around a few shopping carts, that's all. I doubt it's serious.

AudiNFS
07-21-2010, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't worry much either. it's a 10 year old car, there's bound to be minor ware and tear.

EuroDriven
07-21-2010, 03:37 PM
My friend is a dealer and buys and sells cars privately, offer him less. They usually almost always double their money.

zrowcool
07-21-2010, 05:35 PM
it looks like he put something in the trunk and it pushed those dimple out, i had the same from putting stuff in my trunk. if the rest of the car is clean i'd go for it. he probably bout it for around 3 grand so i would start my offer around 3500

Satummoo
07-21-2010, 08:00 PM
So i've been posting this thread up on a few different forums and i'm getting tottaly different answers. If I brought it to any indie shop or audi shop, would they be able to tell me point blank if there is any structural or suspension damage? When I looked at the car, the paint is actualy a light silver/tan color and I didn't notice any paint variations.

Also, when I googled "dimpled quarter panels" most of the stuff I heard was from corvettes saying that the rear would crease from so much torque. I don't think this is the case though...but is this a problem on A4s?

A4Rob
07-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Also, when I googled "dimpled quarter panels" most of the stuff I heard was from corvettes saying that the rear would crease from so much torque. I don't think this is the case though...but is this a problem on A4s?

HAHAHA no, our cars are slow stock. Did you test drive it? They are VERY slow.

The dimples look like a football or shopping cart hit the rear quarter. I would not worry about it especially since you said the paint still looks unharmed or re-sprayed. Plus, I doubt the average corvette has a real problem wrinkling the rear panel...[>_<][rolleyes]

MattzWarsteiner
07-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Look underneath and check the unibody framework. If there is distortion or bends in the structure - the car could have been hit in the rear. Also look for missing anti-corrosion paint on the underside. If it's chipped off, chances are those pieces were bent and possibly re-aligned. Speaking of alignment, take the car to an alignment shop and have them do a 4 wheel alignment. If there's a problem you'll know somethings up.

Could be it got smacked in the side and someone used a dent puller to pop the sheet metal back into place. That's what the one side looks like to me.

Scotty@Advanced
07-22-2010, 05:18 AM
I looks like a poor repair. Items in the trunk would not cause that because there's alot of interior panels between the trunk and the fender. It could have either been hit on that side or rear ended. I'd have the paint thickness checked. I bet it's nothing but Bondo under there. Also might be worth it to remove the trunk pane and see the opposite side of that fender.

Satummoo
07-22-2010, 10:51 AM
I think i'm going to have it checked out tomorrow by an indie shop (RSmotorsports) here in Denver has 3zero3 is out on a trip. Hopefully I'm not wasting 85$ :-(

If structurally everything checked out, is 3,500$ a fair/good deal?

coolgraymemo
07-22-2010, 12:13 PM
that could have been bigger damage but the owners figured a way to push it out and make it look less apparent.

stevejones19
07-22-2010, 04:45 PM
85 bucks is a chunk of change. Could definitely be spent elsewhere really easily, but if it saves you from a 3500$ mistake, then its money well spent. You can pull the bumper off yourself and see if theres anything weird looking where the actual sheet metal is covered by the bumper in that area. Takes like 5 minutes tops.