PDA

View Full Version : Another control arm question CAN I MAKE A PURPOSAL FOR Group Buy?

Shhmaudi
07-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Soo I took my car down to the alignment shop today and they told me they cannot align my car because my upper control arms are bad.. He showed me, and there was some play and the bushings are cracked and crumbled..

So I was wondering since I have bilstiens and I am lowered, where can I find the BEST upper arms for a good price.

So far I think my options are Febi or stock? Whats better/ are they the same?

can someone shed some insight on their experience with these.

TIA

geeky
07-20-2010, 04:43 PM
If you want the adjustable camber, you can always pickup a set of fern. I believe they're called fern.

or the FCPgroton's with lifetime warranty on them. I love my fcp set.

edit: it's stern not fern LOL

http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/front-upper-control-arm-kit-adjustablesternc5b5b6b7-chassis-p-211.html

Greedo
07-20-2010, 05:01 PM
I replaced the upper control arms on my B6 with Febis. So far, so good. I am, however, eventually going to switch to Sterns. They are expensive, but the fact you save tires with them is enough reason for me to be willing to spend the extra cash.

Most people will suggest Febi or Meyle. I read better reviews on Febi hence why I went that route.

Seerlah
07-20-2010, 05:08 PM
I opted for the 034 adjustable upper and will be purchasing the rest of the suspension parts from FCP (quoted me $160 for rest of CAs, TRs, sway bar lings, and associated hardware). Longevity of the suspension parts mainly depends upon installation more than anything. You can have a $150 Febi peice (ball park number) mess up in a matter of one year while the FCP unit which cost $50 (ball park number) can last 4+ years before even showing a sign of needing replacement. And guess which one offers a lifetime warranty?

Shhmaudi
07-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Are the adjustable really worth the money? With a proper alignment isnt it the same thing?? Also do the Adjustables have better bushing? Like poly urethane? Im looking to upgrade but also justify spending the difference between X and Y if they perform the same on the street..

Thanks guys very good input so far

Seerlah
07-20-2010, 06:20 PM
The adjustables are money. I haven't even installed them yet, and had them for like 2-3 months now. I wanted to get the rest of the CA kit and do them all at once, but have been lazy on ordering the FCP units. And since I waited this long, might as well wait till next year to install them (yeah, I'm that guy[:p]). Just wait a couple more months, raise it for the winter season, and place on CA kit before I lower again.

But if you have a significant drop in the fronts, you can only adjust the camber but oh so much. After that, you will always be in the negative. It's the toe that makes the difference on tire wear (my camber could not be adjusted all the way to proper settings, but my toe was). Without the adjustable front upper CAs, there is really no way to get proper alignment. My fronts have had a serious camber issue since I lowered my car. ONly way to cure it is with a camber kit or the adjstable control arms. Which are in essential, a camber kit............but better. 034 uses their density line bushings for their adjustable control arms. So yes, they are better. And for $500, they better be. As those at 034 would say, these are literally the last upper control arms you will ever need for your vehicle. If a bushing goes bad, then replace the bushing with a density line replacement.

Shhmaudi
07-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification seerlah. What is labor usually go for on this job? Thinking about doing it myself too. Are there any DIYs for this task?

walky_talky20
07-20-2010, 08:50 PM
AFAIK, with the stock upper arms there is ZERO camber adjustment in the front. The only adjustement is to make it equal side to side by shifting the subframe. You can't add or subtract camber other than raising the car, OR getting adjustable upper arms.

onemoremile
07-20-2010, 09:04 PM
There is a difference in the arms and you do get what you pay for. I have the cheap arms and the bushings are cracking in just a couple months of easy driving. I'll probably end up making new arms soon as the set of uppers i installed last week are already cracking. Remember that those rubber bushings get twisted constantly and will eventually tear from normal use.

Toe is what scrubs rubber off of tires. Low is slow with these cars anyway so keep it at a reasonable height to keep expenses down. I've run mine at "race" height which is not as quick around a track as it is closer to stock sport height. That said, I did not have excessive tire wear even with hundreds of track miles and soft r compound tires.

Shhmaudi
07-20-2010, 10:23 PM
AFAIK, with the stock upper arms there is ZERO camber adjustment in the front. The only adjustement is to make it equal side to side by shifting the subframe. You can't add or subtract camber other than raising the car, OR getting adjustable upper arms.
I am pretty close to stock ride height even with my bilstien adjustables . However, I would like a better quality upper control arms. Ones that I will never have to replace again.

There is a difference in the arms and you do get what you pay for. I have the cheap arms and the bushings are cracking in just a couple months of easy driving. I'll probably end up making new arms soon as the set of uppers i installed last week are already cracking. Remember that those rubber bushings get twisted constantly and will eventually tear from normal use.

A WEEK/MONTH?? and they are already cracking??? Are you sure you installed them right? I heard you are suppose to pre load the suspension when tightening them to avoid the premature twisting and cracking. Do you know of any DIYs? If you dont want to mention it here, PM me what brand they are so I can avoid.

thanks

Shhmaudi
07-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Proposition: A Group buy on upper adjustable control arm? from stern or 034

Shhmaudi
07-21-2010, 02:27 PM
If you want the adjustable camber, you can always pickup a set of fern. I believe they're called fern.

or the FCPgroton's with lifetime warranty on them. I love my fcp set.

edit: it's stern not fern LOL
http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/front-upper-control-arm-kit-adjustablesternc5b5b6b7-chassis-p-211.html

Geeks are you running these FCP grotons?
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/20703/nm/Audi_A4_4_piece_Upper_Control_Arm_Kit_1996_2008_S4 _Upgrade_/category_id/183

Are these technically upgrades?? Because they say S4 UPGRADE...

Seerlah
07-21-2010, 02:34 PM
You need to post in the GB Request Section (http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/99-Group-Buy-Requests). But people always request GBs on these units (Stern ones were in high demand before the 034 units). I purchased mine during the 034 introductory price (JHM was hosting the GB) and it came out to $518 after shipping. As stated, these things are money.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/368078-*NEW*034Motorsport-Adjustable-Front-Upper-Control-Arm-Kit-for-the-C5-B5-B6-B7-chassis

There is the link I purchased mine from. You may want to call JHM and see if they would still honor this deal for you.