PDA

View Full Version : hard start/high idle issue

stickybandits
07-20-2010, 08:47 AM
I have a 98.5 1.8 quattro manual and lately I have been having this issue after driving the car short distances and parking it, it will have a hard start as in cranking many times or barely starting and then once it does it will rev to 1500 and 2300 rpms and pulse in between for about a minute, but then return to normal. Also, it will sometimes start fine wthout a hard start and all of a sudden the rpms will pulse like stated before almost like the throttle is stuck. I have looked for a pattern or certain times when the car does this and it seems to be completely random. Only throws a check engine light once in a while and I havent gotten it scanned yet because it is never on when i need it to be. I'm thinking MAF issue or throttle body, anyone experience something like this or have any input?

Thanks-

FNK
07-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Seems like a themperature sensor. Faulty temp will not give correct air/fuel ratio, thus can give hard start, bad idle...

Someone else had a similar problem not long ago, turned he changed a looot of stuff for nothing, it was the O2 sensor.

stickybandits
07-20-2010, 10:14 AM
ahh ok you are the second person to say that, as I got it scanned today and the code came of engine temp sensor. this is the same as the coolant temp sensor? and do you know how much shops charge for a new temp sensor installation?

thanks for the help

dcampana
07-20-2010, 01:02 PM
you shoudl do the install yourself. its very easy. the parts range from $11 to $30, depending on where you go. most shops have a minimum 1 hour cahrge. you can do the install in less time than that.

ECS Tuning-Audi
07-20-2010, 01:25 PM
you shoudl do the install yourself. its very easy. the parts range from $11 to $30, depending on where you go. most shops have a minimum 1 hour cahrge. you can do the install in less time than that.

Agreed completely. Click here for a coolant temp sensor replacement (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Search/Coolant_Temperature_Sensor_W-O-Ring/ES2832/?salesrep=CArmbruster&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=CArmbruster&utm_campaign=postreply) it is common fault and very easy to do. Save yourself and hour's shop fee and DIY it! Here, I'll even give you a DIY - do you have a flat head screw driver? http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=webcontent/pages/ECTsensor.html&category=5

dcampana
07-20-2010, 03:23 PM
^^^ nice Chris. new CTS, o ring and screwdriver. done in less than 15 minutes. then back happy again. and save you shop rate of $125 hr or more...

stickybandits
07-20-2010, 07:45 PM
yea i will def try that out it seems easy enough and thanks for the link. hopefully this is the fix to the issue.

thanks guys for the input

Laszcal776
01-22-2011, 09:50 PM
I recently had this problem too. Well, have been recently having this problem. Exactly as you described. Replaced the CTS tonight, but the gauge still doesn't read right. It'll jump up to the first bar and back down fairly quickly. Starting had no problems though.