PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein/ H&R race vs ST Coilover kit Which one to go with!?

Polski
07-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Hey guys, i cant decide on which to go with.
They are more or less same price.
The bilstein sport struts/H&R race combo are 675+ shipping to canada
The ST coils were 700 shipped for a b6 1.8t ..im guessing its more or less the same for a b5 aeb

I'm looking for stiffness mainly
The ST have a possibility of a huge drop, but then again bilstein/H&R race are pretty low also ~24 gtf

My main concern is stiffness...i rather sacrifice some height adjust ability for stiffness

Economically speaking, on ST coil overs I save ~220 and on the bilstein/H&R i save ~75$
I cant find any spring rates for the ST's
The winters here are ruff, i'm guessing the coils wil seize after give or take 2 winters?
Help me decide by using the poll please :)

T0mat3
07-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Ive got neuspeed race on oem sports. I was on St-Denis this weekend and you don't want any stiffer then that lol. I was swearing all the way down that road from my head hitting the ceiling. Plus i dont think ST's are that cheap anymore.

Seerlah
07-19-2010, 06:48 PM
I have B5 S4 ST coilovers (1.8t owner). I ordered S4 units because I wanted the extra spring rate. I was nervous at first about them being super stiff. But after installation, that was far from the fact. There are many of us here that own ST coilovers and none of us have any complaints. I say go with the ST units. The lifetime warranty is also a big plus.

The perches are galvanaised steel, so you should not expect them to rust. Plus the perch seem to be a hardened plastic vs steel (but the threads may have metal on them). There is always FK coilover spray to deter from siezed perches, anyways. BTW, I live in tr-state (NY) weather.

wesleyfbm
07-19-2010, 07:16 PM
ST any day of the week. love mine.

pattshreds
07-19-2010, 08:32 PM
just put in the bilstein sports, and H&R races about a week ago, pretty low right after i put them in, then after they settled out i have give or take a cm or two but 1 3/4 finger gaps in the front and 2 finger gap in the back. lowers nice and is also very stiff. however not uncomfortable. IMO its a perfect feeling for street driving if you dont mind to much of a bumpy ride. ive felt stiffer suspension but its stiff enough to take corners amazingly at faster speeds.

Polski
07-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the votes guys, i'm going with the bilstein/H&R!.
I'm going to post pictures once they come in..which should be in something like 2 weeks im guessing.
Shipping to canada is a bitch thought.

revolution337
07-22-2010, 02:51 PM
ST coils ftw! i've been rocking them for over a year and love them. stiff, but not too stiff. plus they go stupid low.

.Mad Hatter.
07-22-2010, 03:12 PM
why on earth would you go for a cup kit over coils?

ST coils work well...these are A4 springs:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2631/3982336974_6dcd897bec_b.jpg

JEmm
07-22-2010, 04:12 PM
I have bilstein shocks/hr race and if I could go back, I would've gotten coilovers. Easy choice imo.