PDA

View Full Version : Lowering with springs only?

a4t5
02-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Ok im thinkin of buying some lowering springs to get a lower ride and some better ride performance out of my car right now. The springs will be a drop of 1.4 in front and 1.3 in back or 1.7 in front and 1.7 in back.My car is a 99 1.8t fwd with the audi sport springs and sport shocks. i know i have to get shocks later on for lowering applications but, with getting some lowering springs will the springs fit with the stock shocks, and how loong will the shocks last if so? i think the stock audi sport drop is 1/2 and inch.

DDQ
02-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by a4t5
Ok im thinkin of buying some lowering springs to get a lower ride and some better ride performance out of my car right now? My car is a 99 1.8t fwd with the audi sport springs and sport shocks. i know i have to get shocks later on for lowering applications but, with getting some lowering springs will the springs fit with the stock shocks, and how loong will the shocks last if so? i think the stock audi sport drop is 1/2 and inch.

The consensus seems to be that if you have the sport package, aftermarket sport springs really won't drop you much at all.

Unless you want to run race springs, but then you might find that your stock shocks won't last very long and/or ride quality won't be that good.

I'd recommened holding out until you can get the adjustable bilstein shocks and springs, or try to find a good deal on some used coilovers.

A4_2.8tuner
02-14-2005, 05:03 PM
yeah it'll fit. i only have neuspeed race springs on my car right now with stock shocks. most people on here will frown against it, but its not THAT bad. eventually your stock shocks will blow, but i figure that i might as well get as much life out of them as i can, and THEN replace em, especially since i do all my own labor its not gonna cost me any more $$$. if you can afford to get a spring/shock combo at once then i'd go for it, if not, then its not a real big deal, especially if you've got stock sport shocks, they should hold up a little bit longer than regular stock shocks. i have put over 5k miles on my car since i lowered it with stock shocks and i havent noticed a difference in ride quality yet.

Audi_Sniper
02-14-2005, 05:03 PM
I ran my car for a year just on FK springs with the OEM shocks, and the shocks where still fine. Not the best Idea because your car is going to bounce bad after bumps, do to the OEM shocks. I ran it like this as a short fix until I got my coilovers.

I would just get the whole set up if you don't want to pay twice to have them installed.

bong2611
02-14-2005, 05:04 PM
I was told that you could use your stock shocks with upgraded springs. You should ge the new shocks as soon as you can. I think it also depends on how you drive the car though.

AudiSnawb
02-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Im buying H&R sport springs on wednesday... and I have OEM non sport shocks, Im putting them on, will it even lower the car and look good? Im not an agressive driver, so ride quality isnt an issue for me... please let me know asap Thanks

Rieger_RS4
02-14-2005, 05:19 PM
I had stock non sport shocks with B&G race springs for about a week.......it was the bounciest ride I ever had

A4_2.8tuner
02-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by AudiSnawb
Im buying H&R sport springs on wednesday... and I have OEM non sport shocks, Im putting them on, will it even lower the car and look good? Im not an agressive driver, so ride quality isnt an issue for me... please let me know asap Thanks

yeah the H&R sports should lower it a little. the race springs will lower it more tho. i'd go the extra step for race if drop and performance is what you're going for. but you should DEFINITELY be able to notice the drop even with the sports for sure.

a4t5
02-14-2005, 08:03 PM
i have another question, will a quattro spring and shock set up work with a fwd?

Ben@SpeedBarn
02-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by a4t5
i have another question, will a quattro spring and shock set up work with a fwd?

Nope

pearl1.8T
02-14-2005, 08:31 PM
i had neuspeed race springs with stock sport shocks, and they died in like 2 weeks....it was maaaad floaty and bouney....unless ur installing them urself, i suggest u save up and buy shocks and install the springs and shocks at the same time otherwise ur gonna have to pay for installation and alignment for all 4 wheels twice...i suggest just wait and do it all at once

nmarkusA4
02-14-2005, 08:44 PM
bottom line once again SAVE YOUR MONEY. your car will ride like crap with aftermarket springs and OEM shocks. If your interested my friends that drive hondas would be willing to take you for a ride. you will understand completely what i mean. it almost takes away from the cars handling. with all the bouncing i refuse to ride with them. makes me ill. [a4]

jones3000
02-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by AudiSnawb

you've been around here long enough to know better than that.

nmarkusA4
02-14-2005, 09:52 PM
once again someone fails to realize that if something is worth doing. its worth doing RIGHT.

A4_2.8tuner
02-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by nmarkusA4
once again someone fails to realize that if something is worth doing. its worth doing RIGHT.
but if you're on a tight budget like myself (poor college student) but can do all the labor yourself, it really doesnt matter because you're saving money on labor anyways, if anything it'll just be a PITA to do it twice. no big deal tho.

VRsic
02-14-2005, 10:59 PM
I have HR Race on my stock shocks which were in rough shape when I pulled them off... No leakage, just little to no rebound...

My buddy is getting me a deal on some struts so im just waiting for him to get back to me on the word....

And no, it's not THAT bad. Room for improvement...DEFINANTLY. After riding in my friends 20th with HR race and Blistens, I know why one really SHOULD get new struts/shocks...

But hey, not all of us ball hard so we do it in steps....

PDRaudi
02-14-2005, 11:35 PM
what about race springs and sport shocks or sport springs and race shocks, which would go better with agressive daily driving but not wanting to sacrifice all comfort.

VRsic
02-15-2005, 12:09 AM
If you concerned about comfort than you'd probly want to stay away from a "race" shock. My ride is pretty rough, but that's the way I like it, but also, I need new struts which would tighten things up, but possibly make the smaller bumps not so harsh.

I really want a cup kit....

If you want to feel what it's like to ride on a "sport" suspension just find someone with a VW 20th edition or 337, comes from the factory with neuspeed sport and sport tuned shock/sturts.

AudiSnawb
02-15-2005, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by jones3000
you've been around here long enough to know better than that.
I know Jonesie, I know......... LoL (bows his head in shame)