PDA

View Full Version : Another turbo (Eliminator)

AudiNFS
06-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi everyone. I am looking for a BT setup sometime in the future. I know this is an overkill topic but I ask for more of a personal question. I have a 1998 A4 1.8T Quattro. It is my daily driver. Would you guys recommend a GTRS Eliminator or a GT71RS Eliminator? Which would be more reliable and better for daily driving? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks![:)]

Dynamite
06-24-2010, 06:06 PM
this really has been done to death, with no answer really arriving. do research and make up your own mind. The gtrs should in theory spools slightly quicker and then looses out at the top end. in reality they both spool around the same place and both chock up at high revs, the 71 has more potential for power, although this is negated by the elim housing causing it to chock earlier than the full frame and that gets you into the "do you need to do rods" debate. It comes down to an extra $100 gets you about 30awhp more, slightly later spool and increases your risk of braking rods. there is no right answer, its just personal preference.

AudiNFS
06-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Thank you. Like I said, I know this topic has come up at least 1,000 times and I appreciate the information. But I must ask, what is the best company to order from? Most threads say ATP has horrible directions. Is there any company that actually has good instructions?

turbo kraut
06-24-2010, 06:58 PM
dynamite pretty much said it all

i was just in the same boat looking at upgrading, i went with the gtrs over the 71 because the minimal power for the extra is not really worth it

as for the "company" to get it from, atp sells them 034 resells them and where i bought mine www.ringer-racing.com sells(resells) them too.... mike has the best price though, and if you have any questions along the way is there to help

i would recommend before you buy a kit or put it on, that you have all maintenance in order and have an upgraded clutch

if you have any more questions you can pm me, or search for my build thread and see how it looks.....

AudiNFS
06-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Thank you turbo kraut. I am also looking at the GTRS over the 71 because of the quicker spool and I also don't want to bother with changing rods and what not. As for my mileage, I have 155,000 and just had timing belt, water pump, control arms, etc. replaced. am i missing anything? I also want my clutch to be comfortable for stop and go traffic.

J. Daniel
06-25-2010, 05:17 AM
The earlier AEB and ATW engines, '97 to '99, had very different rods compared to the later AWM and AMB engines. The AEB rods were the same as the rods in the earlier 1.8 and 2.0L 16V engines that were pretty stout. The later AWM engines had a much revised rod with a smaller trapezoidal little end that looked pretty whimpy IMO.
Are the earlier rods still a problem at the moderate power levels from the Eliminator kits?

Rickz96
06-25-2010, 06:18 AM
If not tuned properly that engine will spit those rods out faster than you can hit redline....ask me how i know..

mysman
06-25-2010, 06:52 AM
Doesn't it depend on the torque curve?

Altech75
06-25-2010, 07:48 AM
If not tuned properly that engine will spit those rods out faster than you can hit redline....ask me how i know..

Hahaha, I'll assume your avatar pic speaks for itself.

frameshift18
06-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Are the earlier rods still a problem at the moderate power levels from the Eliminator kits?

Also wondering.

Sales@RAI
06-25-2010, 08:00 AM
The earlier AEB and ATW engines, '97 to '99, had very different rods compared to the later AWM and AMB engines. The AEB rods were the same as the rods in the earlier 1.8 and 2.0L 16V engines that were pretty stout. The later AWM engines had a much revised rod with a smaller trapezoidal little end that looked pretty whimpy IMO.

while a bigger wrist pin is always better, that end of the rod is not the failure point on the 1.8T

All 1.8Ts are prone to failure when pushing a turbo like the GTRS to its limits. On moderate boost and timing, however, the car can last a long time

J. Daniel
06-25-2010, 10:02 AM
OK, thanks for the input.

AudiNFS
06-25-2010, 11:05 AM
while a bigger wrist pin is always better, that end of the rod is not the failure point on the 1.8T

All 1.8Ts are prone to failure when pushing a turbo like the GTRS to its limits. On moderate boost and timing, however, the car can last a long time

What counts as a "modest boost level"? Also, how safe is it to push it to red line with the upgraded rods on a GTRS setup?

fernando
06-25-2010, 11:25 AM
are you going to want more power down the road??? YES....so save your self the money of an elim kit and the work to install it, and when you are ready do a full set up.....i made the mistake of going with the 71r elim, and am now in the process of doing another build......the main issue with the elim kit is that there is no upgrade....you have to start from scratch....take your time to think about it and build it right the first time

AudiNFS
06-25-2010, 11:53 AM
are you going to want more power down the road??? YES....so save your self the money of an elim kit and the work to install it, and when you are ready do a full set up.....i made the mistake of going with the 71r elim, and am now in the process of doing another build......the main issue with the elim kit is that there is no upgrade....you have to start from scratch....take your time to think about it and build it right the first time

I see what you are saying, however, I am at a bit more of a discrepancy than most on here. I am only 16 and am mostly under the control of my parents. I've had a hard enough time convincing them of doing them in the first place and assuring them the car will still be safe while being faster. The fact of wanting more power down the road... isn't much of a priority.

biketsai
06-25-2010, 01:03 PM
I see what you are saying, however, I am at a bit more of a discrepancy than most on here. I am only 16 and am mostly under the control of my parents. I've had a hard enough time convincing them of doing them in the first place and assuring them the car will still be safe while being faster. The fact of wanting more power down the road... isn't much of a priority.

Pshh, this is no excuse! I went BT at 16 without letting my parents know! I simply told them when I had to do the Paypal that it was for a friends car ;)

AudiNFS
06-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Pshh, this is no excuse! I went BT at 16 without letting my parents know! I simply told them when I had to do the Paypal that it was for a friends car ;)

LOL very nice. I also don't make that much money either[:p] So a full turbo set up would be a little difficult in that aspect.