PDA

View Full Version : Flyingfish Tial 605 build thread EPL tuning

Pages : [1] 2

flyingfish2626
06-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Finally the last order has been placed and all of the goodies are piled up. I want to thank gearhead Mike for all of his help acquiring the Tial 605's from him. I have asked him a million questions and he is always very pleasant to deal with. I have a appointment with Brian from Autosport Werks in Denver on Monday to set my waist-gates and pick up my fueling kit and base break-in tune on my spare ECU. Here is the list of goodies, please let me know if I am missing anything.
Tial 605's with inlets
EPL fueling kit with EV14 72lbs
85mm MAF
stock airbox
AWE new design intercoolers
AWE 3" downpipes, no cats
AWE Twin 2 exhaust
APR R1 diverter vales
ARD bipipes, ceramic coated
Vast meth #7 nozzles
Eibach Pro Street coilovers
044 fuel pump
034 street density trans/motor
AWE DTS
Apikol snub
Apikol rear diff mount
Southbend stage 3 endurance Kevlar clutch with Sachs PP
Southbend steel flywheel
Lots of body/chassis goodies.
Install should be complete in the next few weeks, I will show some pics soon, thanks alot guys!

flyingfish2626
06-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Zero suggestions........wow.

rmv6
06-24-2010, 10:10 PM
looks like you got way more than i could dream of having in the next few years. open up your airbox maybe or get an rs4 box. how about timing belt/water pump while it's all out. and miscellaneous fluids (coolant, oil, meth). sorry if it seems basic i don't know what else you might need

B5stgIII
06-24-2010, 10:38 PM
I know our airboxes are very efficient, even up to high hp numbers, but I say upgrade to Vasts big-ass intake if you're going to end up upgrading internals and really pushing the motor eventually. - longest run-on sentence ever.

gearhead1186
06-25-2010, 04:39 PM
list looks good. are you doing the install yourself?

goodluck with the build. ill be following it closely!! feel free to PM me with any questions.

also PM some of the mods so they can move this over to the build section!!

flyingfish2626
06-25-2010, 09:47 PM
I was supposed to be seeing Mike at Autosport Werks on Monday to grab my fueling kit and break-in ECU, but I guess EPL got rocked yesterday with that crazy storm that blew through. Lots of damage, no power, and no 605 maps getting sent out on Monday. Mike/Tony will be calling me on Wednesday for a update. I will keep you posted.

gearhead1186
06-25-2010, 09:49 PM
I was supposed to be seeing Mike at Autosport Werks on Monday to grab my fueling kit and break-in ECU, but I guess EPL got rocked yesterday with that crazy storm that blew through. Lots of damage, no power, and no 605 maps getting sent out on Monday. Mike/Tony will be calling me on Wednesday for a update. I will keep you posted.

yea i was actually right by EPL when the storm hit hard. it was nasty. i think i saw a cow tossed up in all the wind.

flyingfish2626
06-25-2010, 10:02 PM
yea i was actually right by EPL when the storm hit hard. it was nasty. i think i saw a cow tossed up in all the wind.

How bad is the EPL building?

gearhead1186
06-25-2010, 10:04 PM
How bad is the EPL building?

I was pulled over on I-95 right by their exit. Didnt actually see the building but I might stop by tomorrow.

flyingfish2626
06-25-2010, 10:14 PM
I was pulled over on I-95 right by their exit. Didnt actually see the building but I might stop by tomorrow.

Please keep me updated if you can. And if you see Tony, please tell him that you sold those Tials to me. Would love for Tony to actually know who I am. Thanks again Mike.

gearhead1186
06-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Will do. I think right after you got em I mentioned it to them but if I drop by tomorrow I will def remind them.

bigern45
06-25-2010, 11:12 PM
yah.. crazy.. i was supposed to get a race gas file today.. then the crazy answering machine message.. lol.. i hope all is well up there and they get stuff organized/get things repaired.

good luck with your build btw.. it looks like a great plan

oh, and also, tony will tune your car with the VAST meth kit, but if there is anyway that you could get an aquamist kit, he/EPL is much more comfortable tuning more aggressively if you have the failsafe of the aquamist kit.. for my next build, that is one of my goals, to get that kit...

gearhead1186
06-25-2010, 11:17 PM
yea im with rich on this one.. aquamist FTW!! when i was at EPL a couple days ago they had a car come in to do 605s. came in with k03s and your typical devils own/vast meth kit and the according to the IATs it didnt even look like the meth was doing much. if its in the budget i would go for it.

BlkdoutS4
06-25-2010, 11:57 PM
yea im with rich on this one.. aquamist FTW!! when i was at EPL a couple days ago they had a car come in to do 605s. came in with k03s and your typical devils own/vast meth kit and the according to the IATs it didnt even look like the meth was doing much. if its in the budget i would go for it.

ha, must not have been working properly or something.. i see huge gains both in power and in lower IATs with my VAST meth kit.

gearhead1186
06-26-2010, 12:14 AM
ha, must not have been working properly or something.. i see huge gains both in power and in lower IATs with my VAST meth kit.

Very possible. However, having the aquamist failsafe lets u comfortably tune to the edge.

bigern45
06-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Very possible. However, having the aquamist failsafe lets u comfortably tune to the edge.

that was my point exactly, and from a tuner's stand point, that is good as gold. you know how many kids get a tune with an MBC, then turn up the boost, then when shit fails and holes in engines happen , say "it was tuned by so and so and now its broke...".. ??

so as much as i would like for tony to be more aggressive with my timing, i know IF one of my devils own nozzles clog, then its not up to me just to watch my a/f gauge and make a judgement in mid pull to let up so as not to blow something..

my VAST kit does amazing as well, you can tweak it plenty to make up for flow characteristics, and you can get nozzles to suit your needs.. but if the pump fails or a nozzle clogs, the sound of your engine pinging will probably be all you hear as to when something fails..

J-b5
06-26-2010, 06:38 AM
depends on the tune.

i know with vast if you exceed the safeties, IE ping, overboost, etc. the motor is very quick to clamp down to save itself.

bigern45
06-26-2010, 07:27 AM
depends on the tune.

i know with vast if you exceed the safeties, IE ping, overboost, etc. the motor is very quick to clamp down to save itself.

it only takes a few seconds or one second of a pre-det to break something...

Dowskeet
06-26-2010, 01:01 PM
I have a appointment with Brian from Autosport Werks in Denver on Monday to set my waist-gates and pick up my fueling kit and base break-in tune on my spare ECU.

Man those waist-gates should be crucial.. [:o]

TiAL 605's [up]

flyingfish2626
06-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Man those waist-gates should be crucial.. [:o]

TiAL 605's [up]

Mike will be setting them to 21-22 psi up here at 5000 feet. While the motor is out, I will be doing valve cover gaskets, cam tensioner seals, rear main seal. Timing belt/water pump is new (less than 10K miles). Fuel filter and spark plugs are new. N75 and EGT's are also new. This car has been very well maintained its whole life. Just received some #7 meth nozzles from Devils Own. I know Tony doesnt like the Vast meth, but its already installed so I am going to run it for now. We will see how 5K feet does with these 605's. Brian just dynoed a 605 car up here and made 450+ whp. I will let him talk about that. Just recieved my JHM shift linkage today as well.

flyingfish2626
06-29-2010, 10:08 PM
EPL is up and running again. I will try to set up another appointment with Autosport Werks.

Tech/Sales@VAST
06-29-2010, 10:18 PM
I know Tony doesnt like the Vast meth, but its already installed so I am going to run it for now. I'm not entirely shocked, we haven't had any issues with 100s sold and installed to date. If you understand the factory ecu there's plenty of safety that can be placed the same or in fact better then any fail safe out.

flyingfish2626
06-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm not entirely shocked, we haven't had any issues with 100s sold and installed to date. If you understand the factory ecu there's plenty of safety that can be placed the same or in fact better then any fail safe out.

Thats why I bought the kit from you guys....

gearhead1186
06-30-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm not entirely shocked, we haven't had any issues with 100s sold and installed to date. If you understand the factory ecu there's plenty of safety that can be placed the same or in fact better then any fail safe out.

care to elaborate?

Jason@Addict
06-30-2010, 08:33 AM

You can't modify the factory ecu to be more capable of dealing with flow variations than an actual FLOW SENSOR. The only thing the ecu can do is react to a problem, it can't determine that there's going to be a problem before the problem happens. Setting the ecu up to pull massive timing is IN NO WAY better than a true flow based fail-safe. We don't aggressively tune systems that have no idea if there's low or high flow, it's just not as safe. I can assure you that there is more ecu correction capabilities in an EPL file utilizing a cheaper variable voltage 'progressive' non-flow based system than there is in an Aquamist file, and we still don't feel comfortable running these systems hard. The Aquamist also has a real time flow display which makes it very obvious if the system is in fact working properly over time.

You're making another completely false claim with no data to back it up, which is becoming very common. I also hope you're not implying that EPL has a lesser understanding of Motronic, because that is utterly laughable.

Tech/Sales@VAST
06-30-2010, 09:41 AM
You can't modify the factory ecu to be more capable of dealing with flow variations than an actual FLOW SENSOR. The only thing the ecu can do is react to a problem, it can't determine that there's going to be a problem before the problem happens. Setting the ecu up to pull massive timing is IN NO WAY better than a true flow based fail-safe. We don't aggressively tune systems that have no idea if there's low or high flow, it's just not as safe. I can assure you that there is more ecu correction capabilities in an EPL file utilizing a cheaper variable voltage 'progressive' non-flow based system than there is in an Aquamist file, and we still don't feel comfortable running these systems hard. The Aquamist also has a real time flow display which makes it very obvious if the system is in fact working properly over time.

You're making another completely false claim with no data to back it up, which is becoming very common. I also hope you're not implying that EPL has a lesser understanding of Motronic, because that is utterly laughable.Like I stated I'm not entirely shocked nor am I about your reply. You do things the way EPL tells you and that's completely fine as your entitled to your opinion.

Your right the factory ecu can't tell if the jets are clog it can tell IAT rising which can be set to put the car in limp mode rather easily, just 1 example of dozens. Personally I would much rather depend on simple mechanical devices, checking the proper filters and check valve then a bunch of electrical sensors.

Please lets not talk about data, when I do post data it has/will be 110% accurate, not misleading or skewed, with a proper hardware list displayed and common for anyone to achieve.

With all that being said I believe there's far more Vast meth kit's installed on S4s then any other brand without making the customer paranoid with a bunch of what if this or that stuff the average guy couldn't understand or speaking negative about another kit as we have nothing bad to say about Aquamist what so ever.

I never was aware of any failure to the engine do to the Vast kit and the way it's designed. Both kit's are great and you can't go wrong with either.

Raacerx
06-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Excited to see the results of your setup dude.

Are #7 nozzles a good choice for the 605? Is that what Tony recommended? Just wondering. I hear all kinds of recommendations from tuners of big nozzles, small nozzles, and big+small nozzles.

bigern45
06-30-2010, 10:09 AM
agreed guys, OP is going with VAST, which is what i run on my car, and with great results, it works like a charm. the LED indicators and diagnostic lights on mine work great for me. that being said, i know that Tony will not tune to full potential with out the aquamist safety net..

so, lets drop the meth kit discussion and get on with talking and enjoying your build brother.

another fast S4... lets keep em coming guys...[:)]

J-b5
06-30-2010, 10:38 AM
it only takes a few seconds or one second of a pre-det to break something...

Yeah tell that one to unitronic, selling people audibly detonating files for some time now.. I got lucky with mine but i wonder who hasnt.

americanthunder
06-30-2010, 10:55 AM
I very much respect VAST, but I had actually bought a VAST Meth kit and decided to sell it and go with the aquamist HFS-3. To me it was well for the extra few hundred bucks for the added safety. Even more so because im running stock block with 605's + meth. Just my 2 cents, the aquamist is the way to go and its a top notch quality and very complete system. (not saying the VAST kit isn't). Also to op you might wanna think about running at least a SB stage 4, or 5 or a spec 3+ clutch. Im not sure I would trust a SB stage 3 with that kind of power. Again my 2 cents. Im running the spec 3+ with OEM flywheel I have a hand full of hard launches and lots of beating on it and it hasn't missed a single beat. It's also very drivable and retains the full face disk.

americanthunder
06-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Good luck with your build btw!

flyingfish2626
07-01-2010, 09:35 PM
I very much respect VAST, but I had actually bought a VAST Meth kit and decided to sell it and go with the aquamist HFS-3. To me it was well for the extra few hundred bucks for the added safety. Even more so because im running stock block with 605's + meth. Just my 2 cents, the aquamist is the way to go and its a top notch quality and very complete system. (not saying the VAST kit isn't). Also to op you might wanna think about running at least a SB stage 4, or 5 or a spec 3+ clutch. Im not sure I would trust a SB stage 3 with that kind of power. Again my 2 cents. Im running the spec 3+ with OEM flywheel I have a hand full of hard launches and lots of beating on it and it hasn't missed a single beat. It's also very drivable and retains the full face disk.

I bought the brand new Southbend stage 3 endurance clutch that uses the Sachs racing pressure plate, and is Kevlar. It is rated to hold 500 foot pounds of torque. Should be enough with their LWSF.

flyingfish2626
07-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Devils own #7 nozzles flow 441 ml/min so thats 882 combined. I also live at 5000 feet so everything runs really rich. I will see what EPL says, but I am hoping the #7's are enough. Just booked my next appointment on Monday the 12th for the fueling kit since EPL is back in business. Then the car goes under-the -knife on the 14th. Hope everything goes ok. Really nervous right now.

gearhead1186
07-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Devils own #7 nozzles flow 441 ml/min so thats 882 combined. I also live at 5000 feet so everything runs really rich. I will see what EPL says, but I am hoping the #7's are enough. Just booked my next appointment on Monday the 12th for the fueling kit since EPL is back in business. Then the car goes under-the -knife on the 14th. Hope everything goes ok. Really nervous right now.

everything will work out. GL!!

flyingfish2626
07-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Wow there is alot of 605 talk right now. I really have just been trying to soak it all in. My main decision to buy the 605's over RS6's was the ability to run my AWE 3" downpipes. I also liked the idea of getting all new oil and coolant lines, and I already needed inlets, and the Tial ones are very nice. I also didnt want to run KO4's maxed out to achieve 400whp up here at 5K feet. I hope I can run a somewhat conservative tune (24 psi or so) with meth and achieve 450, with room for rods in the future. Just my 2 cents.....

*Blue-Angel*
07-02-2010, 04:58 AM
I bought the brand new Southbend stage 3 endurance clutch that uses the Sachs racing pressure plate, and is Kevlar. It is rated to hold 500 foot pounds of torque. Should be enough with their LWSF.

It will get hott quick in bumper to bumper traffic, but will be fine with everyday driving.
It is not a disc that should be used at the drag strip tho. Not for more than a couple pulls actually.
Dont know what your going to do with your car but you should be just fine.

ps what part of CO are you in. I may be moving to CO in the next couple months

americanthunder
07-02-2010, 07:15 AM

I would just go over kill. You will have over 500ftlbs at the crank easy. The spec 3+ is rated at 689 ftlbs just to give you an idea. I think the SB stage 4 is over 600 and the stage 5 is 650 or so if i remember correctly. Just something to think about man, hate to have to see you pull it twice when an extra 200 bucks could have saved you all the trouble. My 605's pull fucking hard It was worth every penny to go over kill and never look back http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Audi/S4_RS4/2000/Single

flyingfish2626
07-02-2010, 08:14 PM
I would just go over kill. You will have over 500ftlbs at the crank easy. The spec 3+ is rated at 689 ftlbs just to give you an idea. I think the SB stage 4 is over 600 and the stage 5 is 650 or so if i remember correctly. Just something to think about man, hate to have to see you pull it twice when an extra 200 bucks could have saved you all the trouble. My 605's pull fucking hard It was worth every penny to go over kill and never look back http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Audi/S4_RS4/2000/Single

Johnathan from Tial has told me that the 605's are not as hard on clutches as people think. The power band is higher in the RPM range, which hopefully wont kill this new clutch. Just something Johnathan said, dont hold me to it. I really hope it holds, I will see.

flyingfish2626
07-02-2010, 08:15 PM
It will get hott quick in bumper to bumper traffic, but will be fine with everyday driving.
It is not a disc that should be used at the drag strip tho. Not for more than a couple pulls actually.
Dont know what your going to do with your car but you should be just fine.

ps what part of CO are you in. I may be moving to CO in the next couple months

No drag for me.....Live in Fort Collins.

*Blue-Angel*
07-02-2010, 08:22 PM
well im going to colorado springs. how far are you from that. ps if no drag then ur clutch is just fine.

flyingfish2626
07-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Any of you 605 guys regret not cutting your Tial inlets in half before installing them? I just ordered a set of 2.25" couplers before the install next week.

Don Supreme
07-07-2010, 06:04 AM
Why do they need to be cut in half?

RusS4
07-07-2010, 06:40 AM
The only pipe that needs to be cut is the drivers side compressor outlet tube.

flyingfish2626
07-07-2010, 07:58 PM
The only pipe that needs to be cut is the drivers side compressor outlet tube.

Could you please explain this to me. I am looking at the Tial directions and it says the same thing but doesnt really show/explain what they are talking about.

gearhead1186
07-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Could you please explain this to me. I am looking at the Tial directions and it says the same thing but doesnt really show/explain what they are talking about.

you need to cut the end thats coming out of the compressor housing so it aligns properly in relation to the rest of the motor.

http://inlinethumb63.webshots.com/20542/2935550590103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb55.webshots.com/45942/2301300660103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb34.webshots.com/6497/2480068530103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/44746/2618685400103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

flyingfish2626
07-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the help Mike...this is a stock part correct, not the new Tial inlets correct. What does everyone think about the new X34 intake. Why does the 605 kit not run this setup. Does anyone know if the EPL tune will run ok with this setup? Can you run the fresh air duct X34 or is it better to run just the fiberglass/carbon intake by itself with the Tial inlets.

gearhead1186
07-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the help Mike...this is a stock part correct, not the new Tial inlets correct. What does everyone think about the new X34 intake. Why does the 605 kit not run this setup. Does anyone know if the EPL tune will run ok with this setup? Can you run the fresh air duct X34 or is it better to run just the fiberglass/carbon intake by itself with the Tial inlets.

yea this is the stock compressor outlets as opposed to the tial supplied inlets. EPL only put their x1s in the 770 fueling kits but thats not to say you wont see any gains with it on a 605 car. I would def invest. Stock airbox is ehhh..

Can you run the fresh air duct X34 or is it better to run just the fiberglass/carbon intake by itself with the Tial inlets.

dont know wat u mean by that...

flyingfish2626
07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
034 is selling 3 different ones, one of them has a fresh air duct. Does it fit with the Tial inlets?

gearhead1186
07-07-2010, 08:54 PM
034 is selling 3 different ones, one of them has a fresh air duct. Does it fit with the Tial inlets?

oh i see what they r doing.. the x1 EPL was selling has the "cold air duct" but it had to be modified to fit the tial inlets. if ur willing to do some modification cold air is always good. otherwise get the regular one.

you can see on my motor how I had to modify the "cold air duct" so the hose from the inlet to the diverter valve can run thru it.

http://inlinethumb30.webshots.com/4125/2878447420103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

bigern45
07-07-2010, 09:06 PM
http://inlinethumb30.webshots.com/4125/2878447420103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

...wow.. i never get tired of looking at your setup..

amazing..

OP... keep the updates coming!! GL!!

Don Supreme
07-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Does the kit come with the required silicon coupler that you need after cutting the outlet pipe?

gearhead1186
07-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Does the kit come with the required silicon coupler that you need after cutting the outlet pipe?

yes, its the red silicone coupler in the picture below.

http://inlinethumb34.webshots.com/6497/2480068530103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

Don Supreme
07-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks....

flyingfish2626
07-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Mike....how about you make me one of those beautiful Y-pipes. Man that is pretty.

flyingfish2626
07-12-2010, 03:35 PM
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/audi/027-1.jpg

Finally picked up my fueling kit from Autosport Werks in Denver and had the waistgates set on the turbos. Car goes into the shop on Wednesday morning, cant wait. It's going to be a long couple of days for sure.

bigern45
07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/audi/027-1.jpg"]
..OOOHHH.. pretty parts...

*Blue-Angel*
07-12-2010, 06:45 PM
can you should a pic of the flange on the hott side of the turbos when you get the tape off prior to dp install.

gearhead1186
07-12-2010, 06:49 PM
those turbos look familiar [:D]

whats the eta on the car running?

gearhead1186
07-12-2010, 06:51 PM
can you should a pic of the flange on the hott side of the turbos when you get the tape off prior to dp install.

when they were on my motor..

http://inlinethumb49.webshots.com/45488/2343847330103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

flyingfish2626
07-12-2010, 08:31 PM
those turbos look familiar [:D]

whats the eta on the car running?

Hopefully by Monday at the latest.

gearhead1186
07-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Hopefully by Monday at the latest.

speedy install. looking forward to some videos.

flyingfish2626
07-14-2010, 07:48 PM
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/Audi%20Tial%20605%20build/AudiTial605build001.jpg
Looks like they had a late start today, but tomorrow should be a productive one.

gearhead1186
07-14-2010, 09:44 PM
nice. will u have any progress pictures?

bigern45
07-15-2010, 04:50 AM
congrats!! i see NO oil on that engine!!!

flyingfish2626
07-15-2010, 07:13 PM
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/Audi%20Tial%20605%20build/AudiTial605build003.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/Audi%20Tial%20605%20build/AudiTial605build002.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/Audi%20Tial%20605%20build/AudiTial605build001-1.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/Audi%20Tial%20605%20build/AudiTial605build004.jpg
Looks like a productive day at the shop. Motor out. Cant believe how wet my valve cover gaskets are. Never saw or smelled any oil and looked pretty dry from the top, but now that I am looking at the engine they really needed to be done. Also had some issue with oil cooler, I will find out more info tomorrow about that. Turbos should be in by tomorrow late day. Probably wont be done until Tuesday at the earliest. More pics soon.

*Blue-Angel*
07-15-2010, 07:19 PM
that is by far the easiest possible way to take apart an s4

gearhead1186
07-15-2010, 07:24 PM
awesome pics.

*Blue-Angel*
07-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Funny you should say what you did Flyingfish. I never smelled any oil. and after I dropped my engine I could see oil all over the freakin place. The only thing I ever smelled was a smell of coolant.

flyingfish2626
07-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Sorry I lied to you guys about my car not needing any maintenance. I feel so ashamed... Anyone need a Vast stage 2+ M box with rear O2's deleted and set up for meth? I am pretty sure you would need to run #4 nozzles and be at 5000 feet. Would love to swap someone for a new rear Hotchkis swaybar if anyone had a extra.

gearhead1186
07-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Sorry I lied to you guys about my car not needing any maintenance. I feel so ashamed...

its an s4. we knew u were joking around.

*Blue-Angel*
07-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Yeah and once the maintenance is done it will pay off for a short while. Regardless if its an S4 or not its a FI car and a sports car on top of that. Name one that doesnt need maintenance Its a price we all pay. But thats what a reliable dd is for. SO the S can stay home and look pretty and await are abusing.

flyingfish2626
07-16-2010, 08:01 PM
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/Audi%20Tial%20605%20build/AudiTial605build001-2.jpg
http://http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/Audi%20Tial%20605%20build/AudiTial605build003-1.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/Audi%20Tial%20605%20build/AudiTial605build003-1.jpg
Todays progress.....turbos in, motor mounts cut. I think the shop was a little busier this week than they thought. Hopefully Monday is productive. Have a great weekend guys.

*Blue-Angel*
07-16-2010, 08:11 PM
IM hoping to be running next sunday. Really crossing my fingers on that one.

WHen is your ETA

gearhead1186
07-18-2010, 07:57 PM
lookin good.

gearhead1186
07-19-2010, 07:18 PM
here r some pics that should help you understand what we were talking about.. its the silver fitting on the compressor housing.

http://inlinethumb40.webshots.com/44775/2048861650103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/44427/2353251820103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

flyingfish2626
07-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks Mike, I will see if I can get one locally in the morning.

flyingfish2626
07-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Things are proceeding slowly....had a few issues that crept up, but have been addressed. More pics on Thursday (hopefully). Check out the new issue of Euroberge issue 8. My car was in a small pic shoot and I recieved some sick pics from Mike. Check out the online issue.

flyingfish2626
07-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Does anyone know if you are supposed to run the spacers and metal hats with the EV14's? Doesnt look right at all.

gearhead1186
07-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Does anyone know if you are supposed to run the spacers and metal hats with the EV14's? Doesnt look right at all.

Ive seen people that have needed to and others that havent. as4driver needed them and i know he has an early s4. I didnt need to and mine is a 2002. Maybe its year related. Anyways here is a pic of the ev14 vs my stock injector..

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/32141/2145653970103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

bigern45
07-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Ive seen people that have needed to and others that havent. as4driver needed them and i know he has an early s4. I didnt need to and mine is a 2002. Maybe its year related. Anyways here is a pic of the ev14 vs my stock injector..

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/32141/2145653970103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

mines a 2000, and i had too..

flyingfish2626
07-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Mike, did you run the metal hats with the injectors. Doesnt seem like the clips will fit. Manifold is on right now, no hats or spacers.

gearhead1186
07-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Mike, did you run the metal hats with the injectors. Doesnt seem like the clips will fit. Manifold is on right now, no hats or spacers.

no metal hats. i just swapped injectors.

flyingfish2626
07-26-2010, 09:17 PM
I justed emailed Tony to make sure. Thanks again. Motor is going in tommorrow. Has been going pretty slow, but hopefully the car may run on Wednesday.http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/AudiTial605build003.jpg

flyingfish2626
07-28-2010, 08:18 PM
http://http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/Audi%20Tial%20605%20build/AudiTial605build001-3.jpg

Motor is in.....should be running by mid afternoon on Thursday. Everything looks good, except for my JHM shifter is very crunchy in 2nd. Everything else went together ok. No sleep for me tonight.

flyingfish2626
07-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Car is running....a couple of oil leaks that have been taken care of. One problem, no reverse after the JHM linkage upgrade. We will try to adjust the JHM short shifter in the morning. The break-in tune is super rich and there is definitely a miss at idle but I need to get some miles on the car before I worry about that. Turbos sound great, very quick to rev. Definitely some more interior vibration in the cabin, may try to remove my AWE DTS and see if it helps. No check engine lights and starts easily.

gearhead1186
07-29-2010, 10:26 PM
great to hear it. any videos?

RusS4
07-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Where are the oil leaks coming from?

flyingfish2626
07-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Had a leaky oil cooler, not a big deal. Threw a CEL on the way home, bank 1 and 2 rich. Cant wait to get rid of this break in file already. Has a slight miss at idle, will put a bunch of miles on her this week and see how it goes.

http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/Tial%20605%20First%20day%20running/?action=view&current=video1stdayrunning001.mp4

gearhead1186
07-31-2010, 02:55 PM
sounds good man. keep us updated. you having it remote tuned or what?

flyingfish2626
07-31-2010, 09:14 PM
No I live 60 miles from a local EPL dealer and the owner (Bryan from Autosport Werks) lives close to me so he is going to take the car for the day to download the real file and make revisions. He just dynoed a 605 car a few months ago and hopefully I will get his final file. I am going to try to get as many miles on the car this Sunday and Monday and hopefully everything works out ok. Thanks for all of the good words guys, it feels like it has been a long journey. I will be looking for a BBK soon.

*Blue-Angel*
07-31-2010, 09:25 PM
You didnt have any of your hoses tightened down in that vid. Were you anticipating problems lol.

Im moving to colorado springs in October and would love to meet up with you by the way. Would be a cool car to check out.

gearhead1186
07-31-2010, 09:28 PM
No I live 60 miles from a local EPL dealer and the owner (Bryan from Autosport Werks) lives close to me so he is going to take the car for the day to download the real file and make revisions. He just dynoed a 605 car a few months ago and hopefully I will get his final file. I am going to try to get as many miles on the car this Sunday and Monday and hopefully everything works out ok. Thanks for all of the good words guys, it feels like it has been a long journey. I will be looking for a BBK soon.

ah right. when are u getting the final tune? im assuming you dont have to break in a clutch?

flyingfish2626
08-01-2010, 03:17 PM
ah right. when are u getting the final tune? im assuming you dont have to break in a clutch?

Southbend wants 800 miles of city driving, Autosport Werks says 500 at least. Just drove around for a couple of hours, so boring. It is like dating a Playboy model that doesnt put out. I feel my balls turning blue with every mile. Threw some weird warning today on the dash, but really cant tell what the symbol is because my display is really out right now with the high temps here in Colorado. I think it was the MPH round symbol (exceited speed limit) but I cant figure out how to remove it. It is probably because of the break-in tune file and something that EPL puts in there. They only had one break-in file that was designed for new motors, and Bryan thought it would work for the clutch break-in. Cant wait to get rid of it. Have been pulling O2 codes every other day now. Also pulled a low vacuum code today?

gearhead1186
08-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Southbend wants 800 miles of city driving, Autosport Werks says 500 at least. Just drove around for a couple of hours, so boring. It is like dating a Playboy model that doesnt put out. I feel my balls turning blue with every mile. Threw some weird warning today on the dash, but really cant tell what the symbol is because my display is really out right now with the high temps here in Colorado. I think it was the MPH round symbol (exceited speed limit) but I cant figure out how to remove it. It is probably because of the break-in tune file and something that EPL puts in there. They only had one break-in file that was designed for new motors, and Bryan thought it would work for the clutch break-in. Cant wait to get rid of it. Have been pulling O2 codes every other day now. Also pulled a low vacuum code today?

i put about 1000 on my SB highway/city. I just drove around pointlessly. If its the MPH warning, you can remove it with VAGCOM. Did you pressure test the motor to check for boost leaks?

flyingfish2626
08-01-2010, 08:50 PM
i put about 1000 on my SB highway/city. I just drove around pointlessly. If its the MPH warning, you can remove it with VAGCOM. Did you pressure test the motor to check for boost leaks?

No I haven't pressure tested it yet, any chance you have one you can sell/part with?

gearhead1186
08-01-2010, 08:52 PM
No I haven't pressure tested it yet, any chance you have one you can sell/part with?

Pressure Tester (http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/part_detail.cfm?PMaI=1&PMoI=4&PEI=6&PP=s4_27t_drivetrain.cfm&PPT=Drivetrain&IL=pressure%20tester)

RusS4
08-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Hey Mike, how did you pressure test your system? I hear people are having problems with that.

gearhead1186
08-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Hey Mike, how did you pressure test your system? I hear people are having problems with that.

some people forget to disconnect their PCV system and destroy the pancake valve. just make sure to disconnect it from the Y pipe and cap off the Y pipe. Also take off your oil cap. it will eliminate a hissing sound which occurs when the crankcase is pressurized. I pressure test 10-15 lbs. That is enough to discover any boost leak. i dont go higher because your actually pressurizing part of the intake tract that never sees boost and isnt designed to hold it. one time I cranked it up to 20lbs to make sure i fixed a leak and one of my inlets popped off.

flyingfish2626
08-02-2010, 08:32 AM

Thats why I asked, I thought the Tials had a different testing procedure.

Jason@Addict
08-05-2010, 07:35 AM
We weld tabs on our inlets to mount them on for that reason - but most people just use a block of wood or something similar to wedge the inlet on so that it doesn't come off while pressure testing.

gearhead1186
08-08-2010, 10:17 AM
hows it going? clutch broken in yet?

flyingfish2626
08-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Cars running pretty good right now, put 150 on her today. Tony from EPL is out of town until the 15th, so it may be another week until the new tune is put in. I am going to call Bryan at Autosport Werks in the morning and see what his schedule is and if he knows more about Tony's arrival.

Don Supreme
08-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Sounds like Tony has his work cut out for him when he gets back! - Everyone is waiting on him.

flyingfish2626
08-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Appointment has made for Wednseday the 18th for the first tune. Hopefully he can get close in the first day. I guess Tony has been very busy lately.

flyingfish2626
08-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Installing my Devils Own #7 nozzles this weekend, preparing for my first real tune on Wednesday. Car has remained dry, oil level looks good, coolant tank maintaining its level. Bryan at ASW cant guarantee the tune will be locked down after the first day of tuning, but anything is better than the crappy break-in tune I have been rocking for the last 2 weeks.

gearhead1186
08-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Installing my Devils Own #7 nozzles this weekend, preparing for my first real tune on Wednesday. Car has remained dry, oil level looks good, coolant tank maintaining its level. Bryan at ASW cant guarantee the tune will be locked down after the first day of tuning, but anything is better than the crappy break-in tune I have been rocking for the last 2 weeks.

excellent. b sure to keep us updated

flyingfish2626
08-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Bryan at ASW worked on the car all day, despite the 100 degree weather. He told me he was getting upper 3 fats, but with alot of room for improvement. Hopefully tomorrow wont be so crazy hot. Tuning must be fun up here at elevation. Blew off a lower intercooler hose and the hose going to my boost gauge and fuel pressure regulator. He was going to spend the late afternoon going over all of my clamps again just in case. A big thumbs up to Bryan for all of his help. I think the car got 3 revisions today, with another one first thing in the morning when it is still cool.

gearhead1186
08-18-2010, 07:59 PM
glad to hear your making progress. elevation + heat must be one hell of a challenge. good luck and keep the updates coming.

flyingfish2626
08-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks for all of your help Mike, and all of the stupid questions I asked you

as4driver
08-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Cant wait to see the results good luck!! Mine is getting tuned tomorrow.

flyingfish2626
08-18-2010, 08:29 PM
It has been really hot here lately, probably the worst time to tune, but I couldnt wait.

DonnieDark0
08-18-2010, 11:09 PM
maybe I missed a post but did you do any work on the engine internals?

flyingfish2626
08-19-2010, 07:08 PM
maybe I missed a post but did you do any work on the engine internals?
No internals yet. Picking up the car tonight. Ended up with a pretty conservative tune (26 psi) because of my Vast meth acting up again. Should have bought the Aquamist from the beginning. Hope I dont end up in jail tonight, its going to be fun!

gearhead1186
08-19-2010, 07:42 PM
No internals yet. Picking up the car tonight. Ended up with a pretty conservative tune (26 psi) because of my Vast meth acting up again. Should have bought the Aquamist from the beginning. Hope I dont end up in jail tonight, its going to be fun!

yea i think this was brought up earlier in your thread but unfortunately shawn jumped in with vasts name and spit out some bologna about "understanding the factory ecu." I was originally going to go with a run of the mill meth system such as devil's own/vast but I am very glad that tony @ EPL convinced me to go with aquamist. its a great quality system that will definitely help you get consistent numbers from your setup. if its not on your list of things to get, i would def put it towards the top.

bigern45
08-19-2010, 09:16 PM
26 psi on those turbos HAS to be fun.. what kind of timing are you running up top?? whats the VAST kit doing wrong??

edit.. or does the elevation jump require more boost?? i didnt think about that when i posted earlier..

as4driver
08-19-2010, 09:19 PM
yea i think this was brought up earlier in your thread but unfortunately shawn jumped in with vasts name and spit out some bologna about "understanding the factory ecu." I was originally going to go with a run of the mill meth system such as devil's own/vast but I am very glad that tony @ EPL convinced me to go with aquamist. its a great quality system that will definitely help you get consistent numbers from your setup. if its not on your list of things to get, i would def put it towards the top.

Yea, What he said!!!

AudiSportB5S4
08-20-2010, 06:58 AM
I'd be interested to know what problems with the kit as well... I've had mine on for a year and 4 months now without issue.

Get some vids of you enjoying the car! Must be fun.. Are there any K04 cars up there to compare with eventually?

flyingfish2626
08-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Car is running really good after a good night of thrashing on her. Just got back from dinner and my wife is so pissed. The look on her face is priceless the first time she felt 25+ pounds of boost. I cant believe the difference between stage 2+ and the 605's. The top end is insane. The best part is that you can drive the car totally normal without any boost and it goes totally fine in DD. Fats times may still be on the high side, but 605's rip on top, while still very easy to drive around town. Still have a few revisions to go when the temps drop a little and I figure out some of my meth issues.

flyingfish2626
08-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Still waiting to see some logs from Tony.....emailed him again today. We will see if I can get ahold of them in the next couple of days. Car is running great. Second and third gear pulls are insane.

gearhead1186
08-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Still waiting to see some logs from Tony.....emailed him again today. We will see if I can get ahold of them in the next couple of days. Car is running great. Second and third gear pulls are insane.

Excellent. Looking forward to seeing them. Doesn't ASW have your logs also?

flyingfish2626
08-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Excellent. Looking forward to seeing them. Doesn't ASW have your logs also?

No, I aked Bryan a couple of days ago and see said he gets rid of all of them but he would contact Tony and try to get them. He sent me a copy of the email, but nothing in the past couple of days. I emailed Tony a couple of hours ago directly and hopefully he has some time in the next couple of days to send them to me.

flyingfish2626
08-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Just scored a second place in a local car show hosted by my local Audi, VW, and Porsche dealer. Pretty good day all around, lots of compliments and "what are Tial 605 questions"

gearhead1186
08-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Just scored a second place in a local car show hosted by my local Audi, VW, and Porsche dealer. Pretty good day all around, lots of compliments and "what are Tial 605 questions"

awesome. congrats.

as4driver
08-30-2010, 07:46 AM
How about some high res pics of that beauty!!!

flyingfish2626
08-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks Mike at Euroberge
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/_MSP0057.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/audi/_MSP0042.jpg

flyingfish2626
09-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Not sure what is going on at EPL but their customer service could use some help. I am sure they are busy but come on....

as4driver
09-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Where did u get ur Euro s4 bumper i want one soo bad!! Car looks great BTW

Evan

flyingfish2626
09-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Where did u get ur Euro s4 bumper i want one soo bad!! Car looks great BTW

Evan

Call Avalon motorsports and ask for Brian, tell him Keith sent you.

flyingfish2626
09-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Car has been running great so far... a few weeks under the belt. Zero problems or check engine lights, just great power. Cant wait for my next revision with the new Aquamist installed.

gearhead1186
09-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Car has been running great so far... a few weeks under the belt. Zero problems or check engine lights, just great power. Cant wait for my next revision with the new Aquamist installed.

whats the eta on aquamist?

flyingfish2626
09-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Trying to find the perfect meth container for a special spot I have....

jibberjive
09-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Car looks incredible. Have you considered getting the rear RS4 roof spoiler? They just fill out that rear end so nicely IMO.

flyingfish2626
09-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Car looks incredible. Have you considered getting the rear RS4 roof spoiler? They just fill out that rear end so nicely IMO.
Yes I really want one, and the cheap ones on ebay are available, but I am scared about the color matching pearl. Thanks for the good words.

flyingfish2626
09-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Just made the Audizine calender shoot, thats again to Mike @ Euroberge. I will find out what month in a day or so. Cant believe it. Also just ordered up my new Aquamist setup with dual 1.0 nozzles.

gearhead1186
09-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Just made the Audizine calender shoot, thats again to Mike @ Euroberge. I will find out what month in a day or so. Cant believe it. Also just ordered up my new Aquamist setup with dual 1.0 nozzles.

thats awesome man. congrats.

flyingfish2626
09-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Aquamist system has just arrived, now just waiting for my new 2.5 gallon tank to show up.

gearhead1186
09-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Aquamist system has just arrived, now just waiting for my new 2.5 gallon tank to show up.

nice. cant wait to see it all hooked up

bigern45
09-16-2010, 09:08 PM

WOW.. that should take a while to go through...

mdzaudi
09-17-2010, 01:41 PM
I need a ride in this beast sometime haha.

flyingfish2626
09-17-2010, 07:29 PM
WOW.. that should take a while to go through...

I seem to be going through alot of Meth lately, boost is super fun with the new turbos.

flyingfish2626
09-20-2010, 05:45 PM
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/craigslist002.jpg
New Aquamist gauge installed, looks pretty good.

ubermidget
09-20-2010, 08:29 PM
still got the vast controller w/ the aquamist?

flyingfish2626
09-21-2010, 09:11 PM
I just received my 2.5 Gallon meth container today. Aquamist gauge is installed and power cord installed. Still rocking the Vast goods until I get a weekend free to finish up the new install.

flyingfish2626
09-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Just my luck, meth resi is a inch to wide. I am going to start looking for a custom made container. Also painted Aquamist gauge bezel black, much better.

gearhead1186
09-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Just my luck, meth resi is a inch to wide. I am going to start looking for a custom made container. Also painted Aquamist gauge bezel black, much better.

where you going to put the custom container? how big?

lnferno
09-28-2010, 03:45 PM
You don't want to use the windshield wiper reservoir?

ubermidget
09-28-2010, 04:02 PM
i have the container in where the 6cd changer used to be. i like the setup alot and looks clean

gearhead1186
09-28-2010, 04:04 PM
You don't want to use the windshield wiper reservoir?

aquamist kits come with a dedicated reservoir and level sensor. y would you use the washer reservoir?

lnferno
09-28-2010, 04:17 PM
aquamist kits come with a dedicated reservoir and level sensor. y would you use the washer reservoir?

1) Easier to install
2) Use the inherent low-fluid dash warning indicator

This is the setup I had and it was very simple and straight-forward to install and maintain. I'm not saying that aquamist isn't, I'm just trying to give the OP an alternative as it sounds like he's struggling a bit with the reservoir issue.

gearhead1186
09-28-2010, 04:26 PM
1) Easier to install
2) Use the inherent low-fluid dash warning indicator

This is the setup I had and it was very simple and straight-forward to install and maintain. I'm not saying that aquamist isn't, I'm just trying to give the OP an alternative as it sounds like he's struggling a bit with the reservoir issue.

you will still have to incorporate the aquamist low level sensor so that the failsafe can function correctly. given the awkward shape and tight location of the washer reservoir it seems like you would be creating more work for yourself. the only benefit of the washer reservoir is that its already mounted but then again if you cant mount your own reservoir you shouldnt be doing an aquamist install. sorry but I dont see why anybody should use the washer reservoir unless they are running a budget vast or devils own meths system.

http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/46434/2628013310103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

lnferno
09-28-2010, 04:33 PM
I think you and I are saying the same thing in different ways. :)

gearhead1186
09-28-2010, 04:34 PM
I think you and I are saying the same thing in different ways. :)

if thats the case, then i agree with you.

flyingfish2626
09-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Mike, did you get the logs i sent you?

gearhead1186
09-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Mike, did you get the logs i sent you?

replied.

flyingfish2626
09-29-2010, 07:40 PM
where you going to put the custom container? how big?
I have my battery relocated to my trunk, so I have a large space behind the fire wall in install a tank. Ordered a 2.5 gallon tank and it is a inch to wide. The avants dont have the room in the rear storage on the drivers side like the sedans do because of the stock sub. I also have a phatnoise so that space is totally gone. Spoke to Jeff at Howerton engineering where I bought my Aquamist and he is sending me the connections to join two 3 quart containers side by side. This will bring total capacity to 1.5 gallons which will have to work. Goodies should be here in a couple of days. I will post some pics as soon as I get them. Also want to thank Robin for sending me a sweet ECUx templet. I logged 3 pulls monday afternoon and lets say I am not a Excel master. Have a good friend helping me out, so hopefully the new templet will work out.

flyingfish2626
10-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Finally some progress today. Combined the two tanks. Only thing is the transfer rate between the two tanks is too slow. Talked to Jeff at Howerton Engineering and he is sending me larger transfer nozzles so the tanks will stay the same level a little faster. He is really great with customer service. Please send him some of your business. He deserves it.
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/meth%20setup/methsetup002.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/meth%20setup/methsetup003.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/meth%20setup/methsetup004.jpg

flyingfish2626
10-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Aquamist HFS-3 finally installed. Now for the first test drive to see if this thing really works.

gearhead1186
10-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Aquamist HFS-3 finally installed. Now for the first test drive to see if this thing really works.

pics of the tank setup?

Spooled1.8
10-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Vids would be great, starting my 605 install soon, just waiting on tial to send the turbos out to epl. A nice vid would be some great motivation for my project :)

flyingfish2626
10-18-2010, 10:51 AM
pics of the tank setup?
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/meth%20setup/methsetup003.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/meth%20setup/methsetup004.jpg

RONDAL
10-18-2010, 11:16 AM
silly question, but how do you plan on filling those reservoirs?

RusS4
10-18-2010, 11:34 AM

My aquamist hfs-3 kit didn't come with a reservoir?

flyingfish2626
10-18-2010, 12:30 PM
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/meth%20setup/methsetup001.jpg
silly question, but how do you plan on filling those reservoirs?
The containers are joined at the bottom. I have a VP 5 gallon fuel jug with a flexible hose. I just unscrew one of the caps and fill it up, takes seconds, super easy.

gearhead1186
10-18-2010, 01:02 PM
My aquamist hfs-3 kit didn't come with a reservoir?

ah maybe it was a group buy deal.. free reservoir with the kit. regardless the reservoirs that jeff howerton sells are 30 bucks.

Howerton Engineering Aquamist Tanks (http://www.howertonengineering.com/tanks.htm)

RONDAL
10-18-2010, 01:45 PM
oh ok that VP fuel thing makes sense. i was looking at the location and going, jesus thats gonna be hard to get a straight pour in there or a funnel haha.

good to see its working out.

any dyno stuff or power #'s on the car?

RusS4
10-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Mike those are some nice tanks for cheap,but is using your washer reservoir bad? I'm asking because that's what I was planning on using and don't know if I need to start looking in a different direction.

RONDAL
10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
if you disabled your windshield washer setup and just ran meth in it, it would be fine, the problem you have is if you keep running washer fluid, you're mixing in a detergent.
for those of us north of the borders, we can get -45* washer fluid with basically no detergents in it, so its not the end of the world, but those further south i hear its a bit of an issue

flyingfish2626
10-18-2010, 03:17 PM
oh ok that VP fuel thing makes sense. i was looking at the location and going, jesus thats gonna be hard to get a straight pour in there or a funnel haha.

good to see its working out.

any dyno stuff or power #'s on the car?
Getting another revision on Monday for the new Aquamist. Should be able to get some logs in a couple of days after that. Hopefully she will go on the dyno on Monday November 1st.

RONDAL
10-18-2010, 03:57 PM
im watching closely. im looking at an almost identical setup, at 5000' elevation. so i'm very interested to see what happens.

did you do rods?

flyingfish2626
10-18-2010, 07:56 PM
im watching closely. im looking at an almost identical setup, at 5000' elevation. so i'm very interested to see what happens.

did you do rods?

You should know how hard it is to make power at 5000 feet. Wish I lived at sea-level sometimes, then I look at the mountains. No rods.

RONDAL
10-18-2010, 10:19 PM
yeah, i lived in vancouver until a few years ago, so i definetly miss the coast and sea level power, and i had mountains there. grrr.
im still on the fence of whether or not to do rods.
part of me wants to because then i get a fresh bottom end, and im doing ALL of the seals and stuff in the engine, so it'll be almost a fresh engine that i can push a little harder. then its $1000 that i could spend elsewhere

flyingfish2626
10-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Car is at ASW for a revision and some Aquamist help. Just my luck, I have a bad FAV (fast acting valve) that is going to have to be warrantied. So much for a drive tonight. Thanks for all of the help Brian. Also Jeff at Howerton Engineering for taking care of it for me.

gearhead1186
10-25-2010, 07:07 PM
what were the symptoms? just wouldnt spray or sprayed but didnt see the effects?

flyingfish2626
10-25-2010, 07:24 PM
The little metal wheel inside of the FAV would only start to spin with 90+ pounds of shop air. That wheel is what the sensor reads that snaps on to the outside of the valve. The system was installed correctly, but would show no bars on display.

ThatA4T
10-25-2010, 10:57 PM
hey its jordan you helped me with some vag com tricks and clearing my air bag light in the past... ive sent you a few pm's as i need my air bag light cleared again if you have time and id really love to check out the car. a lot has happened since i saw it last. pm me

Jurjen
10-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Mike those are some nice tanks for cheap,but is using your washer reservoir bad? I'm asking because that's what I was planning on using and don't know if I need to start looking in a different direction.

I run meth out of my reservoir, and it works fine. Only complaint I have is how quickly I can empty it when driving aggressively.

flyingfish2626
10-31-2010, 09:50 AM
Picked up the car this weekend after the Aquamist HFS-3 install and revision from EPL. Car running strong. Will try to get some FATS/logs on Monday morning.

gearhead1186
10-31-2010, 01:04 PM
nice. did you ever post pics of your tank setup?

flyingfish2626
10-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Mike check out post #156.

gearhead1186
10-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Mike check out post #156.

got it. srry.

flyingfish2626
11-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Appointment made for the first dyno run on a Dyno Dynamics on the 22nd.

gearhead1186
11-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Appointment made for the first dyno run on a Dyno Dynamics on the 22nd.

have you gotten revisions since you installed the aquamist system? if you did id love to see some logs if you took any.

flyingfish2626
11-10-2010, 08:31 PM
have you gotten revisions since you installed the aquamist system? if you did id love to see some logs if you took any.
Just sent you the file.....not the best pull but you get the idea.

Dr. Jekyll
11-10-2010, 09:48 PM
post up those logs :-) I'm still interested in seeing how those 605's do on a stock block.

gearhead1186
11-10-2010, 09:49 PM
post up those logs :-) I'm still interested in seeing how those 605's do on a stock block.

probably wouldnt be a fair representation. hes up in the mountains.

flyingfish2626
11-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Wait until the 22nd and I should have some good data from the dyno runs. I will be logging with ECUx at that time.

RONDAL
11-14-2010, 10:42 AM
what are you running for a catch can if anything?

flyingfish2626
11-14-2010, 10:44 AM
what are you running for a catch can if anything?
No catch can at this time..really need to look into this.

RONDAL
11-14-2010, 12:18 PM
ya im busy trying to figure out what im going to need.

flyingfish2626
11-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Finally got on the dyno...still need some revisions, but probably enough until spring.http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/Dynoday004.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/Dynoday002.jpg

gearhead1186
11-22-2010, 03:41 PM
great numbers for a dyno dynamics at elevation!!

Tony@EPL
11-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Not a bad start! I don't thing you need much from a revision prospective. Your aquamist needs to come on 500+ rpm sooner and unfortunately I think harvey's wideband is wrong. The narrowband logs are now where near where the wideband is reading.

As mike said, for 6000 feet on a dd...this is awesome!

Im in tomorrow, but not wensdays, call me if you want to discuss.

Tony@EPL
11-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Side note...that's not anywhere near enough fan for dyno runs on an s4 :).

flyingfish2626
11-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Side note...that's not anywhere near enough fan for dyno runs on an s4 :).
Thats why my IAT went through the roof by the 4th run. All runs were done with 2-3 minutes of idle time. Not enough fan. Was a fun experience and had a fun time. Car feels fast Tony, thanks again.

RONDAL
12-01-2010, 10:49 PM
all these 605 threads with dyno #'s are making me giddy.

mine are sitting on my counter just goating me to pull the engine before the rest of the parts are here

AudiSportB5S4
12-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Keith,

Here you go man...

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/AudiSportB5S4/ECUx%20Logs/605boost.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/AudiSportB5S4/ECUx%20Logs/605n75.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/AudiSportB5S4/ECUx%20Logs/605MAF.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/AudiSportB5S4/ECUx%20Logs/605IAT.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/AudiSportB5S4/ECUx%20Logs/605timing.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/AudiSportB5S4/ECUx%20Logs/605knock.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/AudiSportB5S4/ECUx%20Logs/605CF.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/AudiSportB5S4/ECUx%20Logs/605accel.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/AudiSportB5S4/ECUx%20Logs/605fats.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/AudiSportB5S4/ECUx%20Logs/605injectors.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/AudiSportB5S4/ECUx%20Logs/605o2volts.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/AudiSportB5S4/ECUx%20Logs/605egts.jpg

AudiSportB5S4
12-13-2010, 01:20 PM
I've been talking to Keith via e-mail, and if anyone else wants to join my conclusion that his O2s (one of them) looks to be on its way out... Those spikes in the O2 voltages usually indicate one is on the fritz. He sent me other logs from the dyno which were actually worse than those, where the O2s were spiking off the chart to +.92 volts, which means really rich... Having that happen causes the high CFs, and will take performance out of the tune. Hopefully Tony @ EPL can confirm, he can get some new O2s and it can be revised on that...

Looks like the 605s pull real smooth though otherwise, the MAF readings look great.

gearhead1186
12-13-2010, 01:24 PM
I've been talking to Keith via e-mail, and if anyone else wants to join my conclusion that his O2s (one of them) looks to be on its way out... Those spikes in the O2 voltages usually indicate one is on the fritz. He sent me other logs from the dyno which were actually worse than those, where the O2s were spiking off the chart to +.92 volts, which means really rich... Having that happen causes the high CFs, and will take performance out of the tune. Hopefully Tony @ EPL can confirm, he can get some new O2s and it can be revised on that...

Looks like the 605s pull real smooth though otherwise, the MAF readings look great.

to my knowledge o2s start reading on the lean side when on their way out causing the ECU to dump more fuel. also, a rich condition should not cause timing pull. other way around.

AudiSportB5S4
12-13-2010, 01:55 PM
to my knowledge o2s start reading on the lean side when on their way out causing the ECU to dump more fuel. also, a rich condition should not cause timing pull. other way around.

On the second half I agree, but I have seen multiple O2s failing high (shooting rich pulling fuel) like that... I told him to forward the logs onto Tony and see what he thinks, but if one O2 is shooting in either direction like that, it's usually on its way out. Just speculation on his logs, because you want your O2s no matter what to run with eachother.

Sales@RAI
12-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Would it be safe to say that the 605s spool like 770s at that elevation? I havent seen any side to side spool logs of 605s vs. 770s with the same displacement

gearhead1186
12-13-2010, 02:00 PM
On the second half I agree, but I have seen multiple O2s failing high (shooting rich pulling fuel) like that... I told him to forward the logs onto Tony and see what he thinks, but if one O2 is shooting in either direction like that, it's usually on its way out. Just speculation on his logs, because you want your O2s no matter what to run with eachother.

only time ive seen rich conditions cause knock is when they were absurdly rich.. id say 10:1 or lower. keiths arent even close to that. guess we'll see.

RONDAL
12-13-2010, 02:02 PM
433 @ 6000'.
thats pretty good.
im gonna be running an identical setup at 3300' so should be interesting to see the power differential

AudiSportB5S4
12-13-2010, 02:05 PM
only time ive seen rich conditions cause knock is when they were absurdly rich.. id say 10:1 or lower. keiths arent even close to that. guess we'll see.

True. With my wideband though I've been able to finally pair up O2 voltages to wideband readings, and I found that .86 is 11.8 for the most part... I was running rich lately with O2 voltages near .90, and that correlated to a 10.3-10.1 AFR. So I've gathered that O2 voltages have a very sensitive range to more drastic changes in AFR... Low 10s sucks either way you look at it!

Don Supreme
12-13-2010, 02:23 PM
yeah, car is not happy around 4500 RPM at all........... semi big knock spike around that RPM... otherwise IATs look good.

True. With my wideband though I've been able to finally pair up O2 voltages to wideband readings, and I found that .86 is 11.8 for the most part... I was running rich lately with O2 voltages near .90, and that correlated to a 10.3-10.1 AFR. So I've gathered that O2 voltages have a very sensitive range to more drastic changes in AFR... Low 10s sucks either way you look at it!

Yeah thats what happens when you only have 1 volt worth of resolution... Narrow bands suck.

flyingfish2626
12-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Tony will get it straightened out. Car runs great, super fun to drive with good power up here at 5000 feet.

Tony@EPL
12-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Tony will get it straightened out. Car runs great, super fun to drive with good power up here at 5000 feet.

Honestly, these look awesome. The car really isnt running all that rich, most of the meth cars we tune show .87-.88 yet are close to 12.0 on the wideband.

1 change.... your aquamist is still coming too late, looks like 4500 which is only 100-200 rpms before peak tourque and is over 20 psi which is FAR too late!! Thats where your "high" cf's are. I say "high" because on the stock motor 605-770 cars we run close to stock knock control. If this were an identical k04 car, it would likely only be pulling 4-5 degrees.

Adjust the aqumist and retest, but I think you will see very nice gains!

flyingfish2626
12-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Just sent you a email Tony....

Tony@EPL
12-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Just sent you a email Tony....

Ok Cool... I haven't checked since this AM. Im currently home pumping water out of my basement =(.

Seriously though, logs look great! Call Bryan or Me tomorrow to help walk you through the aqamist adjustment.

dougyfresh
12-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Finally got on the dyno...still need some revisions, but probably enough until spring.[IMG][IMG]http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/Dynoday004.jpg

What fuel? 91oct? I must have missed that on the previous page or not. Looks solid for your operating conditions. Must be awesome up there. Love the buddy christ. haha

Keith,

Here you go man...

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/AudiSportB5S4/ECUx%20Logs/605boost.jpg

I would be comfortable with that in Colorado.

AudiSportB5S4
12-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Yeah thats what happens when you only have 1 volt worth of resolution... Narrow bands suck.

Agreed... My WB has been a great addition to the car, however its just one more thing that makes me paranoid about this stupid POS! [:p]

Looks like this car is a bunch of fun to drive and I bet it would whoop a K04 car up there. Everything looks so smooth!

Honestly, these look awesome. The car really isnt running all that rich, most of the meth cars we tune show .87-.88 yet are close to 12.0 on the wideband.

Tony, I was running e-mails back and forth with him, but I mentioned a few times to check with you regarding the logs before drawing any conclusions. Just curious, you don't see those O2 spikes as a sensor failing, or you do? Just want to hear your input on that because when I see that in a log typically, I suspect O2s are on the way out.. Either way I need a damn ride in one of these cars sometime soon. Do you have any TiAL 605 cars at the shop?

Tony@EPL
12-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Tony, I was running e-mails back and forth with him, but I mentioned a few times to check with you regarding the logs before drawing any conclusions. Just curious, you don't see those O2 spikes as a sensor failing, or you do? Just want to hear your input on that because when I see that in a log typically, I suspect O2s are on the way out.. Either way I need a damn ride in one of these cars sometime soon. Do you have any TiAL 605 cars at the shop?

You are correct... but this really doesnt play a role in open loop performance.

AudiSportB5S4
12-14-2010, 08:11 AM
You are correct... but this really doesnt play a role in open loop performance.

Gotcha. Thanks Tony!

flyingfish2626
12-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Have been on the phone all day with Robin/Tony and Jeff from Howerton Engineering about the earlier spray with the Aquamist and finally we figured it out. Jeff said my controller is definitely bad and needs to be replaced. No matter where I put the starting spray adjuster (TRES), it starts spraying at 15-17 psi of boost. This explains my high correction values in the mid-range during spool up. The new controller will allow me to start spray at a low of 0% fuel injector duty cycle up to 63%. Hopefully this will be sorted out soon and maybe my FATS will drop a bit. Thanks to EPL and Howerton for their excellent customer service.

gearhead1186
12-14-2010, 06:52 PM
awesome keith. good to hear.

Don Supreme
12-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Have been on the phone all day with Robin/Tony and Jeff from Howerton Engineering about the earlier spray with the Aquamist and finally we figured it out. Jeff said my controller is definitely bad and needs to be replaced. No matter where I put the starting spray adjuster (TRES), it starts spraying at 15-17 psi of boost. This explains my high correction values in the mid-range during spool up. The new controller will allow me to start spray at a low of 0% fuel injector duty cycle up to 63%. Hopefully this will be sorted out soon and maybe my FATS will drop a bit. Thanks to EPL and Howerton for their excellent customer service.

Lolz - hydro lock anyone ha.

How long for a replacement to arrive?

AudiSportB5S4
12-15-2010, 12:43 PM
I had to look through your thread to be sure, but you had issues with the VAST meth kit, now the Aquamist..... Go figure! Your car just doesn't want meth [:p]

flyingfish2626
12-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Just my luck I guess. If this is the only issue's I have then I am in good shape. Jeff at Howerton sent out the board yesterday, so maybe I will see it tomorrow.

NogaroWonda00
12-17-2010, 03:37 AM
Just thought I'd chime in here after catching up on this thread.. Keith you might be getting a visit at FCMS today, I really need to clear those codes still... Plus my k04 car is running pretty good, still no meth either. Curse you VAST! So maybe we can get a few runs in for everyone to see the difference... And me get spanked lol

Anyways I'll be in touch!

NogaroWonda00
12-17-2010, 03:38 AM
Just thought I'd chime in here after catching up on this thread.. Keith you might be getting a visit at FCMS today, I really need to clear those codes still... Plus my k04 car is running pretty good, still no meth either. Curse you VAST! So maybe we can get a few runs in for everyone to see the difference... And me get spanked lol

AudiSportB5S4
12-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Just my luck I guess. If this is the only issue's I have then I am in good shape. Jeff at Howerton sent out the board yesterday, so maybe I will see it tomorrow.

Agreed.. Sounds like you have a good group of guys to work with out there [up]

flyingfish2626
12-17-2010, 08:07 AM
New Aquamist controller in this morning and I am off to see if there is a significant difference in start spray time. I will not be able to post logs until Monday morning. Thanks again Jeff at Howerton Engineering for getting the controller to me so fast.

flyingfish2626
12-17-2010, 05:56 PM
New Aquamist controller working great. Start spray is now at 8psi with the TRES dial set at 10:00 position. Will try to get some logs Monday morning and see if my timing pull in the midrange goes down some.

NogaroWonda00
12-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Are there any K04 cars up there to compare with eventually?

We went and took some logs of my car just for you [;)]
I would consider my car as a strong k04 car up here and as you can see below we are pushing as much out of those little bastards as the n75 will let me.. I also have the fastest pass at bandimere in a k04 car 12.18@114mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f129j50iU_U
my setup:

K04/K16's
FMIC
EPL 91oct custom tune on EV14's 52lb 044 intank
AWE DP's no CATs Borla 3" cat back
No meth at the moment, had the same problems with my VAST kit not working..

here are the logs we took yesterday afternoon

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/zumo91/1.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/zumo91/2.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/zumo91/3.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/zumo91/4.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/zumo91/5.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/zumo91/6.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/zumo91/7.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/zumo91/8.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/zumo91/9.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/zumo91/10.jpg

gearhead1186
12-18-2010, 09:25 PM
wow thats an impressive ET at elevation. [up]

keith, your turn!!

jibberjive
12-19-2010, 01:02 AM
So maybe we can get a few runs in for everyone to see the difference... And me get spanked lol

Do it!

NogaroWonda00
12-19-2010, 02:33 AM
wow thats an impressive ET at elevation. [up]

keith, your turn!!

I should mention that time was on my old fueling setup and clutch (60lb siemens 255/ rs4 clutch lol) since then I've gotten a twin disc in there along with a wotbox.. So I hope to get into the 11's with the new setup, and boost off the line. I had a buddy with an srt4 running 12.2's consistently, with the same exact setup plus wotbox he tweaked it all the way to a 11.6, I'll be happy with 3 tenths though..
I'm going to do my best to get Keith to the track!

flyingfish2626
12-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Was fun to ride in a fast KO4 car like yours yesterday NogaroWonda00. Glad I could help you do some logging. Its a nice comparison between KO4 Hybrids and 605's up here at 5250 feet. I will re-log in the morning to see if my new Aquamist settings have helped at all.

Sales@RAI
12-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Was fun to ride in a fast KO4 car like yours yesterday NogaroWonda00. Glad I could help you do some logging. Its a nice comparison between KO4 Hybrids and 605's up here at 5250 feet. I will re-log in the morning to see if my new Aquamist settings have helped at all.

so who won?

NogaroWonda00
12-19-2010, 08:00 PM
so who won?

No runs yet, I'll try to get my methanol situated as well and when they are both running 100% I'm in for a few..

Thanks again Keith for clearing the codes.

gearhead1186
01-03-2011, 05:10 PM
keith's latest logs..

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/4627/2978918790103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb23.webshots.com/3926/2181786070103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb43.webshots.com/43306/2962410300103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/43959/2194956230103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/46661/2165570150103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/19875/2224118760103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/47943/2805433690103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/38140/2805594610103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/42945/2724323060103989424S600x600Q85.jpg

AudiSportB5S4
01-03-2011, 08:06 PM
I love the smooth MAF intake.. Looks like this car runs smooth as factory but with a ton more power!

flyingfish2626
01-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Car is really running strong right now after tweaking the Aquamist again. Personal best FATS and accel g's on those pulls.....maybe time for a different exhaust setup. What do you think?

AudiSportB5S4
01-04-2011, 08:29 AM
You could go with a full 3" exhaust setup (your AWE Downpipes you state in your first post as 3" downpipes are only 3" for a short while before tapering to 2.5 inches, then down to 2.25 to the catback. You could do full 3" downpipes, sell your Twin 2 and do a less restrictive exhaust that way, going with down a custom route possibly or some of the OTS options.

flyingfish2626
01-04-2011, 10:31 AM
I am guessing the downpipe is alot more restrictive than the Twin 2 exhaust in my current setup. I thought the Twin 2 was a good choice when I bought it.

AudiSportB5S4
01-04-2011, 10:40 AM
^ Agreed.. Just saying, if you wanted the most free flowing exhaust, you can go with one of these larger single setups that seem to be working for the GT/TiAL cars. The Twin 1/2 systems are awesome....

That 2.5 inch bottleneck probably hinders you the most that's for sure..

flyingfish2626
01-17-2011, 04:49 PM
New primary O2's, coolant temp sensor, and AWE cats installed today. Wish me luck on getting through emissions this week. Sounds so quiet, cant wait to remove the cats, and the Twin 2.

flyingfish2626
01-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Well she passed emissions this morning. Super happy and a large weight has been lifted from my mind. Now time to get those crappy cats removed and test pipes reinstalled. Still on the fence about the exhaust. Looking into custom 3.5" options at the moment. Cant make up my mind.

AudiA4_20T
02-03-2011, 12:05 PM
The RAI system makes everything pretty easy. If u get everything together I'm sure you could get it pretty cheap

flyingfish2626
02-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Spring cleaning.....http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/flyingfish2626/2-11-2011009.jpg

Sour
02-13-2011, 02:05 PM
purdy

bigern45
02-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Well she passed emissions this morning. Super happy and a large weight has been lifted from my mind. Now time to get those crappy cats removed and test pipes reinstalled. Still on the fence about the exhaust. Looking into custom 3.5" options at the moment. Cant make up my mind.

dude, i saw huge gains with my RS6's by going 4".. id seriously think going bigger than 3.5, especially with 605's. [;)]

flyingfish2626
03-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Car is running amazing, super fun to drive. Thanks again Tony and Robin at EPL for all of their help. It still shocks me about how many comments I get about driving a "station wagon". Even from a local RS4 owner. Are the RS4's like 330 whp? He was pissed when I told him how much whp this "station wagon" makes.

AudiA4_20T
03-03-2011, 08:32 PM
dude, i saw huge gains with my RS6's by going 4".. id seriously think going bigger than 3.5, especially with 605's. [;)]

proof of "huge gains"?

flyingfish2626
03-20-2011, 04:37 PM
How can you tell if your spider hose is bad? It seems like I have a little oil dripping off/sweating on the small L shaped hose on the bottom of the large round circle piece right off of the Y-pipe. Sorry for the bad description. Just making sure everything stays nice and tight for the summer thrashing. Summer wheels back on in the morning.

RONDAL
03-20-2011, 05:10 PM
that large circle piece is your pancake valve. they are known to fail from time to time. Are you running any sort of catch can?

bigern45
03-20-2011, 05:52 PM
proof of "huge gains"?

i dynoed 401 on a dyno dynamics here in ky, then i changed up exhaust, and did 441 at EPL in conn. torque was roughly the same. thats going from a 3" to a single 4"...

flyingfish2626
03-20-2011, 06:36 PM
that large circle piece is your pancake valve. they are known to fail from time to time. Are you running any sort of catch can?
No catch can, but I did install the updated vented oil cap. Is the new updated spider hose easy to install? Does the 605's require plugging off parts of the spider hose assembly? I remember installing a couple of large plugs on the solid metal lines when the turbos were installed.

RONDAL
03-20-2011, 08:44 PM
no the 605's dont need plugging anything.
I'd take a look at gearheads setup and some of the "spider hose delete" threads. If i did it again i'd just make my own. Its not worth the $160 the dealer wants, and you really dont need to make it as complicated and brittle as Audi did.

Take a look at mikes thread, you dont need to do AN fittings and ball out if you dont want to. You can use that blue compression hose and use pieces of the stock spider hose where the connections and intersections of the pipe are. Literally replace all the plastic brittle piping with blue compression hose and just use the stock pieces where joints need to be made. Install a catch can and you're done. Or ball out like mike did.....or find a happy medium.
How much blow by are you seeing in your intake tract at the moment with no catch can?

Mantis
03-20-2011, 10:10 PM
My experience is that any car running over 20psi is going to have blow by, I would recommend most stage 3 S4's put in a catch can

Don Supreme
03-21-2011, 08:04 AM
I just replaced my broken spider hose.... It had all kinds of nasties dripping out of that pancake valve at the y-pipe...