PDA

View Full Version : Problem with shifting from first gear

Clewe
06-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Hey guys I have an audi a4 1.8t 2001, I got it about a month ago and I'm pretty sure it has problems shifting from first gear, what happens is when I go to take off it will just rev really high and I have to take my foot off the pedal for a second and then it does this weird kicking thing and then jerks after that it's fine. It only happens when I first take off and it only happens sometimes so I have no idea what it could be. Anybody have any ideas?

dbbaker2007
06-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Having the same issue. Mine also does it while turning. Going to get the tranny fluid flushed soon. I am hoping this solves it.

somebody5788
06-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Having the same issue. Mine also does it while turning. Going to get the tranny fluid flushed soon. I am hoping this solves it.

Make sure you use a shop that knows what they are doing. I'm barely an hour from Elkhart and happen to work at one hahaha.

Sounds like low fluid to me.

BlkBullitt
06-18-2010, 07:01 AM
By how you describe the problem I'm guessing you have a Tip? Low / bad transmission fluid would be the first thing I would guess. Check the fluid level to make sure it is correct and also smell a sample of the fluid as well. If it smells burnt than you need to replace it.

EuroDriven
06-18-2010, 09:20 AM
By how you describe the problem I'm guessing you have a Tip? Low / bad transmission fluid would be the first thing I would guess. Check the fluid level to make sure it is correct and also smell a sample of the fluid as well. If it smells burnt than you need to replace it.

That ^ and the fluid being 9 years old, depending on how its been driven the fluid may just be really broken down. I have this same problem in a parts car I have, the transmission is in fact TIP. I don't care to try to solve the problem, but in the higher gears mine has no issue, so I assume it could be the same issue.

-John

wikid57
06-19-2010, 03:40 AM
Usually this sort of thing is caused by low fluid. A VERY big thing to consider is that automatic transmissions can actually go out when you change the fluid in them if it wasn't changed when it should have been. So what I mean is that if the fluid should have been changed at say 100,000 miles and you bought the car with 120,000 and now its messing up some, what typically happens is that you change the fluid and there are all these little rubber bits in the tranny fluid, these little rubber bits are what are actually keeping the transmission still working decently! MANY MANY times people change the automatic trans fluid too late because they haven't had issues and then BAM! the trans goes out within a couple months. The best thing you can do in my opinion is check the fluid(while the car is running on a flat surface), see if it's low. If it is low, top it off with Lucas oil additive(safe to use in automatic transmissions and engines but DO NOT OVERFILL! keep in mind the stuff is slightly thicker than trans fluid and may take a little bit to trickle down into the trans out of the fill tube BE PATIENT!) what this will do is slightly thicken the fluid and make it stick to the rotating parts FAR better, reduce its running temperature by reducing friction and slow the damage that has begun from the neglect to change the fluid. I'd honestly suggest adding it even if you do change the fluid, it will make your transmission happier(heat is the enemy of both transmissions and engines so everything you can do to cool it down some is worth it). If you aren't certain when the trans fluid was last changed, if you have the maintainence records look through them or even contact the previous owner to find out.

walky_talky20
06-19-2010, 04:41 AM
Check the trans computer for codes too. Will need vag-com to do this.

I'd recommend changing the fluid as well. What wikid57 says does hold some truth, but I haven't heard of it happening with an Audi tranny. Unless it has close to 200k on it I'd just drain and refill to the proper level. It shouldn't hurt anything too bad anyway as just draining it is only getting about 1/3 of the fluid out anyway. I would *not* recommend getting a tranny "flush". That is where you can run into problems on a high mileage unit.