PDA

View Full Version : Reverse? Who needs it...

JEmm
06-13-2010, 12:41 PM
So went on a rally today (Royal Flush Rally), one my way home we stopped at a gas station and when I tried to back into a spot the car wouldn't go into reverse...

I Had backed into spots all day with no problems and all of a sudden it feels like there's something blocking me from getting into reverse.

Any ideas what it could be?

P.S. I have the JHM SS and linkage iff you think that would affect anything. Thanks!

SeekB00st
06-13-2010, 12:45 PM
If you changed the throw on the shifter, watch the shift stop. After knocking it around pretty hard you can losen it and reduce the shift. This will in turn cause gears that have a longer tug to get into be unreachable.
Or you stripped the gear.

JEmm
06-13-2010, 12:53 PM
If you changed the throw on the shifter, watch the shift stop. After knocking it around pretty hard you can losen it and reduce the shift. This will in turn cause gears that have a longer tug to get into be unreachable.
Or you stripped the gear.

It's not that I get into gear and nothing will happen, I literally cannot physically put the shifter in the reverse position. As if something was blocking it from going into gear.

Seerlah
06-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Best bet is to take a gander at your shifter gear box. Then check the linkage rod from the shifter all the way to the tranny. If you come up with nothing, then start to suspect the tranny internals.

SeekB00st
06-13-2010, 04:03 PM
It's not that I get into gear and nothing will happen, I literally cannot physically put the shifter in the reverse position. As if something was blocking it from going into gear.

Shift stop. Tear apart the shifter check the bump stop on the bottom where is it hits the bracket. If im correct the JHM has a shift stop - it could have moved.

JEmm
06-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Best bet is to take a gander at your shifter gear box. Then check the linkage rod from the shifter all the way to the tranny. If you come up with nothing, then start to suspect the tranny internals.

Shift stop. Tear apart the shifter check the bump stop on the bottom where is it hits the bracket. If im correct the JHM has a shift stop - it could have moved.

How easy is this to do in my driveway? I don't mind taking it somewhere to have it looked at, but I'd rather not if it's going to be something simple that I could fix at home pretty easily...

Jc61990
06-13-2010, 05:25 PM
fairly easy. just pull the plate off that covers the shifter box. your gonna need to screw the knob off then slide the boot off since its attached to the trim plate.
http://audishifter.com/videos/B5_A4-S4-Passat_install_vid.wmv

JEmm
06-13-2010, 05:30 PM
fairly easy. just pull the plate off that covers the shifter box. your gonna need to screw the knob off then slide the boot off since its attached to the trim plate.
http://audishifter.com/videos/B5_A4-S4-Passat_install_vid.wmv

Awesome. Thanks guys. Gonna do that tomorrow before I take it somewhere to have it looked at. I'll post again if I have any problems tomorrow.

Tifun
06-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Sounds like we are in the same boat, but I can't get into 5th. We have a 5th/reverse lock on our cars, it can sometimes breaks and prevent us from getting into one of the two gears. I started a thread 2 days ago asking for help finding replacement parts to sort it out and haven't gotten a hit yet.

Jc61990
06-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Sounds like we are in the same boat, but I can't get into 5th. We have a 5th/reverse lock on our cars, it can sometimes breaks and prevent us from getting into one of the two gears. I started a thread 2 days ago asking for help finding replacement parts to sort it out and haven't gotten a hit yet.
is the lock part of the shifter? or is it in the transmission?
i have a stock non push shifter laying around if its on that piece

Tifun
06-13-2010, 05:41 PM
here's the book rendering procedure.

Note the note at the bottom on the first one about 5th/R.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i108/kaosborne/B5trannylinkageadjustment.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i108/kaosborne/B5trannylinkageadjustmentpage2.jpg

Jc61990
06-13-2010, 05:51 PM
http://jc-mallozzi.com/audi/Transmission/5sp%2520Manual%2520Transmission%252001A%2520all%25 20wheel%2520drive/34-1%20Shift%20linkage%20service.pdf

or in PDF edition.

JEmm
06-13-2010, 06:47 PM
^That's just to realign the shifter? Or would that be the end of an install?

Tifun
06-13-2010, 07:08 PM
i just watched that JHM video. It's for a 6sp. They did show were the reverse notch is so out to the garage to pull it out and hope mine is in the same spot haha.

Seerlah
06-13-2010, 07:11 PM
All that really isn't needed. The bentley manual gets too intense at times. To re-align the shifter, you basically just need to have it centered. Tighten the hex bolts for the linkage rod and stabiliser bar. Then go to each gear (including reverse) and pay attention to where the shaft for the shifter meets on the side walls of the pivot ball. Readjust till there is even space when going to all gears (including reverse).

Easiest thing to do it to mark off (where the hex bolts are for the stabiliser bar and linkage rod) before removing the shifter. The tighten them back to the same place, while keeping the shifter as centered as possible before tightening. It will more than likley go right back to how it is supposed to be. The process for the B5 S4 is more detalied, though. And needs more precise adjustment (JHM actually has a tool for this, as you need the shifter at a certain angle degree). The B5 A4 basically just needs to be centered before tightening.

But on topic of people not getting into 5th or reverse gear, hope you guys get it figured out. And I hope I never have that issue.

Tifun
06-13-2010, 07:31 PM
k just pulled my shifter out. I have a uuc short shifter from way back in the day. I don't have a reverse notch on my shifter like the jhm one does. I do however have a plastic piece that it attached to a metal portion of the plastic base. It's on an ear lol. Basically it's the only piece that shows any sort of wear at all.

Any body have a pic of the shifter box bottom side out of the car?????

JEmm
06-14-2010, 09:43 AM
k just pulled my shifter out. I have a uuc short shifter from way back in the day. I don't have a reverse notch on my shifter like the jhm one does. I do however have a plastic piece that it attached to a metal portion of the plastic base. It's on an ear lol. Basically it's the only piece that shows any sort of wear at all.

Any body have a pic of the shifter box bottom side out of the car?????

I don't but I'm basically in the same spot you are. Cars on ramps, shifter is almost completely taken apart and I still don't really know what's wrong haha

JEmm
06-14-2010, 11:21 AM
So just figured out my problem. Got my cousin over and had him change gears while I was under the car and I felt around on the linkage... there was a loose bolt on the linkage. Tightened it by hand and Boom! reverse works. Couldn't get a wrench under there in order to tighten it all the way and don't know if I really need to but hopefully I'll get a chance to get a wrench in there and really tighten the thing up.

Ldiaz12
06-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Who needs it?

Seerlah
06-14-2010, 12:03 PM
So just figured out my problem. Got my cousin over and had him change gears while I was under the car and I felt around on the linkage... there was a loose bolt on the linkage. Tightened it by hand and Boom! reverse works. Couldn't get a wrench under there in order to tighten it all the way and don't know if I really need to but hopefully I'll get a chance to get a wrench in there and really tighten the thing up.

I placed Locktite (sp??) on those bolts when I installed my JHM linkage. I would suggest you do the same.

JEmm
06-14-2010, 12:06 PM
I placed Locktite (sp??) on those bolts when I installed my JHM linkage. I would suggest you do the same.

Yea, I didn't install it initially. I had to get a new clutch/flywheel so when I got that done I had the guy install the JHM SS and linkage and trans mounts so I guess he didn't locktite it... Gonna do that later. It's at least driveable now.