PDA

View Full Version : k04?, and yes Ive searched

rob.mwpropane
06-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Ok, so I think my goal would be aeb with k04, dp, water meth, and unitronic for the tune. Full exaust later down the road. I have uni stage 1+ now on stock b5 with upgraded dv. I really can't spend a ton, so this is why I'm searching this route. I know its been done, I just can't find a write up, or dyno with numbers. Cars got 183000 miles on it, and I do all the service work myself. She runs like a champ. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I would love to have 250whp on my little family car. Close would be just as good. BTW, I've only posted on here like twice because I search a lot. So for all you wonderful assholes sitting at your computer waiting to tell me to search, I have. Maybe I've missed it.... so now I'm asking for those same people for just a little guidance.

Seerlah
06-13-2010, 06:53 AM
^B5 A4 members are rather freindly, no need for harsh words. People say search, because people really need to. Not to be ***holes or rude or anything, just telling the truth.

Anyways, you won't see 250whp with the k04-15.

250chp......yes
250whp.....no

I would suggest you do a full exhaust system before starting to peice together a turbo kit. It will give you some time to decide if you really want the k04 or something else. Eliminator setup or k04 setup, you would still want to have a full exhaust system. The stock system is very very restricting. The cat is one thing, then having piping less than 2" is another. Then you are asking for troubles if you are burning more fuel , with a greater chance of clogging the cat and causing other issues (replacing sensors, etc). Not to mention, you really will be holding the turbo back with all that back pressure.

2001A4QUATTRO
06-13-2010, 06:56 AM
If you want 250whp you should look into an eliminator, Full exhaust(HFC or testpipe) FMIC and whatever unitronics wants you to run for that file. GL

khj677turbo
06-13-2010, 07:40 AM
if you end up needing a k04 i might have a used one available a week or two down the road.

hercfe
06-13-2010, 07:41 AM
200awhp is about average for a k04. not much better for the gt2x. i'd go at least gtrs if you want 250awhp.

vtraudt
06-13-2010, 08:05 AM
I came from the same original background: bad K03 forced my hand, no money determined the level. I went with a modified K04 (optimized (for my mid power/torque, no need for high RPM power) turbine and compressor wheel, housing), built for me by local turboconcepts. I had already ECU with TAP stage 2 ("+50HP, 12.5 psi"), test pipe, Carbonio intake, Miltek exhaust. Southbend Stage 3 clutch. Result was a nice change, very drivable (boost come on smooth, climbs to 15 psi at 4000 rpm, then falls off).

Then, my hands were forced again, since the timing belt was due. With the whole front off (I did the total, complete job), I decided to install an FMRC (20x6x2.75). With this done, we are now getting 18.5 psi boost, still the TAP chip in there. Now deciding on either getting a tune that takes all the mods (have 3-5 bar adjustable fuel pressure regulator standing by, may need larger injectors) or (with the intercoole, its now possible) get a larger (would be T3/T4 from turboconcepts) turbo. The GIAC PC16 is often mentioned, but I heard it is 'peaky' (great power at high RPM; not mentioned how bad the torque is at lower RPM under 3000)); have not seen boost curve or dyno chart.

So: Test pipe and exhaust a must have 1st step.Then K04 or eliminator, but FMIC a strong recommendation for high power/boost. And the chips to go with it (I wish or darn ECU would be programmable; its SO easy/quick/nice how the tuning is done for example with our X3 programmer on the Cougar!)

rob.mwpropane
06-13-2010, 08:16 AM
I'm sorry if I came off somewhat rude. My apologies. I was thinking k04 just because of cost. Teamed up with water/ meth I thought it would be fun. I am interested in an eliminator setup, but I don't have the funds to go that way. I'm not looking to make a track car, just a small sleeper. I don't want to go with a Fmic, that's why the water meth. I'd be interested in a used k04, how many miles? With my current mods, and no dyno, I'm thinking I have a moddest 155 160whp from what Ive read. If I could get 200+ whp I think that would work. To be honest, I don't really care about numbers, just how it feels. Maybe when the kids get older, but for now just some fun. Again, I apologize for coming off rude. Thanks for all the input. What model k04 is it, I'm guessing -15. Does anyone know of someone with this setup?

khj677turbo
06-13-2010, 08:47 AM
its a ko4-15 has about 25k miles on it

Seerlah
06-13-2010, 08:54 AM
That is a very doable route. An upgraded intercooler is still a thing you should take into cosideration. For the k04 or even a GTRS, the ebay intercoolers will suffice (Godspeed seems to be a popular ebay one used). You will still want to do an exhaust before anything. You can have a custom one made for $500 installed. Don't forget your supporting mods (ie silicone throttle inlet, injectors, MAF and FPR). With the water/meth, it can be used to lower IATs. But if you are using the meth with a tune, be cautious of the system. You can seriously damage your engine if catioun isn't taken into consideration.

rob.mwpropane
06-13-2010, 08:57 AM
How much for k04

hercfe
06-13-2010, 08:59 AM
there are literally thousands of b5 and b6 cars with k04s. from what i've read its a really nice gain on the b5, but not so great on the b6 because its not much better than the upgraded k03 stock in the b6. 200awhp is about all your gonna get without doing some good tuning.

rob.mwpropane
06-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Thankyou for the advice.

khj677turbo
06-13-2010, 09:17 AM
My car was totaled, so if i decide to take parts off ill let you know, i have a intercooler as well that would be up for sale.

rob.mwpropane
06-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Is it a Fmic? If so what brand, it didn't get totaled in the accident? Sorry to hear that. I know the feeling... I would be interested, call me when you decide 2406740886.

Doug@FrankenTurbo
06-13-2010, 09:29 AM
A K04-015 teamed to W/M and a solid intercooler is a great leap up in performance for these cars. OEM turbo is a tiny K03-005, so you are looking at a dramatic improvement. 250awhp is a totally different approach, though. That means a serious reworking of your engine, clutch etc.

I recommend you do an incremental approach working around a smaller turbo. If you're still hungry for more, the associated mods will continue to have value with a still-bigger turbo.

rob.mwpropane
06-13-2010, 09:39 AM
No, not dramatic. Something fun and durable.

B5A4Kevin
06-13-2010, 10:19 AM
hta3076r.

djwimbo
06-13-2010, 10:27 AM
250awhp ... find somebody parting an APR Stg3. Hearing/reading me recommend APR to anybody is rare, so I guess take it with a grain of salt.

My K03s (98.5 AEB) was just about fully tweaked and was in the neighborhood of 175awhp, but that was without meth. A K04 will reliably do about 10-20 more whp. Since you're already on a Unitronic tune, doing a GTRS would be "cheap" for tuning, but it's all the other things that you need to tack onto the bill that add up. I dropped $1K in a flywheel and clutch, and it was on sale. You would need a similar setup to do a bigger turbo to do it right.

EuroDriven
06-13-2010, 10:40 AM
http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=36653&title=pes-t28complete-stage-3-kit-awm&cat=20

rob.mwpropane
06-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Well, I'm not looking for bt. Maybe on a newer car in a few years after a buy a house. I was thinking k04 with supporting mods for just a fun improvement. I misread someone's last statement about being a dramatic improvement. That is what I'm looking for. I really enjoyed the chip, and still do... I guess I just need another fix without breaking the bank. I have access to methanol for free, so I wanted to go that route too. If I could find k04/ Fmic used for a good price, that's probably the route I'll go. If I ever went bt, it would be with a newer a4(hopefully) and tear it all down and do it right. I don't have time or money for that. I just want some bolt on fun. I love uni, in order to go k04 its only 100$ to upgrade. To go bt would be 890$- 250$ so 640$ just for the tune...

Seerlah
06-13-2010, 11:54 AM
^You have the pricing wrong for the upgrade. It's whatever you already have invested into Uni, minus whatever the BT costs. Forexample, my tuner charges around $750 for BT tunes. I already have $500 into my current ECU flash, and will cost me roughly $250 for an upgraded tune (BT). As far as I know, Uni works the same way. Or you paid $250 for your current flash? If so, that's cheap for a Uni tune.

And why don't you complete your bolt ons, before considering a different turbo? A k04-15 without a proper exhaust is kind of a waste.

rob.mwpropane
06-13-2010, 01:59 PM
No, 550$ for current program. To go bt would be like i said.

biketsai
06-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Go K04, call it a day.

stack
06-13-2010, 02:56 PM
get a k04. pc-16 gmic
FMiC, fuel inj and fpr.
that should be enough. yu dont need a BT on a family car
i am doing this to my car

flynnr
06-13-2010, 03:03 PM
i have that exact setup on my car currently. love it. very quick and the torque spike sets you back in your seat!

i have the apr high flow exhaust mani for the k04 that will be for sale as of this coming saturday. let me know if you are interested. made a big difference!

rob.mwpropane
06-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Why sell the manifold if it makes such a diff? Thanks for the offer, if I had all the other parts I would be very interested. Just for curiosity what's the price? What fpr do you currently run?

B5A4Kevin
06-13-2010, 05:16 PM
because if you read his sig, "soon to come: gt2871r elim kit!"

the mod bug bites hard and often. accelleration is one of the most powerful addictions. a good number of audi owners who currently have a BT started out exactly where you are. wanting a little more than chipped power for a cheap price. many go elim or k04. after installing all the bolt-ons, the turbo becomes the restriction. at that point, depending on mods, most bolt-ons need to be replaced with something for a larger turbo (mani, exhaust, clutch, maf, injectors). then you have to worry about selling what you have so you can afford your goals. there isnt much ROI (return on investment) when modding a car. spend the money and do it right the first time, and only if you can afford to spend it, and can justify the expense in regards to other facets of life: raise a family, continue your education, buy a house, or whatever. choose wisely and happy modding.

rob.mwpropane
06-13-2010, 05:37 PM
I didn't see that. Hey I've been bit, if I didn't have a slew of kids I would be under my hood every day. I love getting thrown back in the seat. If the kids didn't need college... if the place I live was mine... etc. I think of I play my cards right I could have a nice k04 setup with supporting mods for 1500$, maybe a little more. It would be a nice step up, esp with tuning, water/meth. So..... who's got a descent k04, Fmic, etc for a father of three to buy for a reasonable price? Khj677turbo said turbo and fmic. Who knows, I'm patient, I can wait for a descent deal to pop up. Flynn, good luck with your new setup, I'm a tad jealous. Let me know of the manifold price.

flynnr
06-13-2010, 07:19 PM
yeah exactly. and i have changed goals a tad (not NEEDING to have the most hp i can without doing rods) so i got a full gt2860rs setup waiting to be installed on sat X)

and i already have a buyer for everything i have currently, and they already had boughten one before, so they dont need this one!

ill pm you a price

rob.mwpropane
06-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks. Wow that's a shame. Everything I'm looking for, if it falls through let me know. I know that stuff goes quick on here.

Doug@FrankenTurbo
06-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Flynn ** Did you ever log your K04/PC-16 setup? I'm really curious to know how the hardware and software balanced out. It seems like a 317cc fueling file would a great fit for the -015 turbo, but I can't find logs posted anywhere. What kind of airmass did you move? What did the N75 duty cycle? Do you know any of that? TIA

rob.mwpropane
06-14-2010, 03:28 AM
That would be great. Thanks. I also would love to see someone's numbers, or logs.