PDA

View Full Version : 99 2.8 a4 with no muffler

midnightride42
06-12-2010, 06:20 PM
so i took the stock muffler off today....to do some measuring. i started up the car and drove at idle around the loop here in the devolopment....sounded nice with no muffler. nothing loud or annoying.

anyone ever just remove the stock muffler and keep the rest stock? I guess im looking to just run a pipe out the back from the resonator with a nice tip.

would i need to worry about backpressure? I wouldnt think so since a magnaflow is straight through. would it sound like crap in the upper rpms?

please send your thoughts....also if anyone has a nice clip please post if you done this.

thanks.

walky_talky20
06-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Try it on the highway before you make up your mind. I had an old Celica once with an aftermarket muffler. Sounded *great* around town, loved it. But on the highway I couldn't get the radio to go loud enough, and forget about making phone call. It was horribly loud. I doubt an Audi would be that bad (the Celica was a tin box after all), but yeah.

midnightride42
06-13-2010, 03:39 AM
Will do. You talked about a aftermarket pipe. Those will add sound due to internals of muffler. I'm just talking about running a straight pipe out the back, from the resonator back.

Anyone else try this or have thoughts?

Thanks again

GreekAudi
06-18-2010, 07:29 PM
sound clips? I'm interested in doing the same with my a6 2.8

GreekAudi
06-18-2010, 08:53 PM
also, you see any performance difference?

Ldiaz12
06-18-2010, 09:06 PM
There is deffinitely going to be a performance difference I can tell you this from experience, I had a huge exhaust leak and I had NO Tq! It was Annoying sounded pretty good But No POWER!