PDA

View Full Version : EPC light and 4 codes...please help

MOtown A4
06-12-2010, 04:29 PM
so i did a little searching about the EPC light being thrown, and it sounds like this might be my engine speed sensor gone bad. Car is a 2001 a4tqm unitronic tuned 2871r elim 415cc. codes thrown were P0170 system lean P0171 system lean P0322 crankshaft sensor P0011 camshaft position timing over advance. from what i've searched and read it sounds like its the engine speed/ crank position sensor has gone bad and all the other codes are a result of it. what i'm looking for is a little input. I'm almost positive that the symptoms are pointing toward the engine speed sensor, but i would like to be sure so i can make the purchase tomorrow morning and get it done before work on monday. any input on the changing of the engine speed sensor would be greatly appreciated also. TIA!

UPDATE: it turned out to be the crank position/engine speed sensor. changed it out today, had to disconnect the battery to clear the codes, and drove it for a good hour or so (it would normally have problems after about 5-10 minutes) and she ran fine! im really glad it wasnt a timing belt issue, although, this kind of scared me enough to actually WANT to do my timing belt. thanks for all the help guys!

dcampana
06-12-2010, 04:51 PM
well i had the same code, replaced the cranshaft speed sensor (but my car would die and not restart). i did not have the other codes, just P0322... still have the code being thrown and now the car will run but just shut off.

i will keep an eye here to see how things progress. I sure hope you dont have the recurring issue i have.

just make sure you get OEM replacement and not the cheap junk... from what i have read this is an issue...

MOtown A4
06-12-2010, 06:55 PM
well i had the same code, replaced the cranshaft speed sensor (but my car would die and not restart). i did not have the other codes, just P0322... still have the code being thrown and now the car will run but just shut off.

i will keep an eye here to see how things progress. I sure hope you dont have the recurring issue i have.

just make sure you get OEM replacement and not the cheap junk... from what i have read this is an issue...

I just have the problem where it will initially hiccup, then when i let the revs fall to stop it will shut off and i have to feather the throttle while cranking in order for it to start again. after that the epc light usually comes on and it doesn't like heavy throttle or boost. like i said though, i think all the other codes are a result of the crank position sensor.

maxspeed
06-12-2010, 07:56 PM
i kept throwing EPC lights and torque limit codes, diode on the map sensor cleaned everything up

dcampana
06-12-2010, 08:39 PM
^^ good to know Maxspeed. i will have to find the diode mod again and actually move forward with it. its worth a shot, right?

MOtown A4
06-13-2010, 05:24 AM
i kept throwing EPC lights and torque limit codes, diode on the map sensor cleaned everything up

I've never heard of doing that on the map sensor. could just replacing the map sensor work also?

2001A4QUATTRO
06-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Maxspeed was referring to epc light and the torque limit exceeded code. You have other issues. GL

2001A4QUATTRO
06-13-2010, 07:00 AM
From your codes I would say replace the crank position sensor. Does your cam chain tensioner on the rear of the valve cover ever make any noise? I had toreplace that on mine for the cam over advanced code. The other two codes I would clear after you replace parts and go from there.

EDIT: Verify that you have good fuel pressure and all of the fueling areas are good (for the lean codes)

MOtown A4
06-13-2010, 07:56 AM
thanks for the input guys, keep it coming! im going to head out to pick up a crank position sensor right now and replace it.

2001a4quattro- im thinking the other three codes were either thrown as a result of this or they could be pre-existing. CEL has been on for a little, thanks for the input though, it's not making any noise, but i will check it out just incase.

MOtown A4
06-13-2010, 09:36 AM
a little update...no one had it in stock, so they had to order it. i ended up ordering the borg warner unit. there were a few cheaper but i wasnt familiar with the brand name, and the delphi one which is apparently the OEM on was 115 dollars. so i ended up paying 90 for the sensor with a lifetime warranty, and i'll see it tuesday. meanwhile i disconnected the battery to clear the codes, as i do not own a VAG tool. my hopes are that if this happens again i'll get the same codes thrown and i'll know for sure they're all from the same thing. please feel free to chime in at any point.this is just another learning experience for me, so the more i know and the more everyone else knows the better we're all off when this problem occurs with someone else.

MOtown A4
06-15-2010, 06:51 PM
bump for update

dcampana
06-16-2010, 09:21 AM
^^ good to hear you were able to get up and running. I am still dealign with the issues. i get to figure it out over Fathers Day weekend. yeehaw.

MOtown A4
06-29-2010, 07:41 PM
another update...it's been acouple weeks. car was running good for a few days, and then everything went to hell[headbang][headbang][headbang]. boost was cut from 21 to 11-12 psi, throwing the same codes but now with a p0321. did a few logs with a guy from the b6 community and vag shows my injectors are only doing about 60% of what they should. he recommended a boost leak, and im still yet to test for leaks, i also noticed my MAF was all pitted. anyone else have any input? i also heard cam chain tensioner could cause this problem. i'm a little apprehensive to take my car to the dealership because of the obvious price, and because i dont want them working with my BT setup.
TIA

dcampana
07-06-2010, 09:01 PM
damn man. i am dealing with it too. i have had 3 speed sensors, to no avail. i am at my wits end on my car. I get the same code (p0321) and also P0322. i can not figure it out for the life of me. seems i may be taking to the dealership and playing wallet suicide.

i may try buying a cam tensioner... f'd up....

MOtown A4
07-07-2010, 05:03 PM
damn man. i am dealing with it too. i have had 3 speed sensors, to no avail. i am at my wits end on my car. I get the same code (p0321) and also P0322. i can not figure it out for the life of me. seems i may be taking to the dealership and playing wallet suicide.

i may try buying a cam tensioner... f'd up....

i just ordered a cam tensioner and all the necessary gaskets to do the job. it started making alot of noise, so i just assumed that was part of the problem. i thought about taking my car to the dealership but i dont like the thought of them working on my BT setup. im afraid they might jack something up.

Poopie
07-07-2010, 06:45 PM
is your log of the car doing 60% of the duty cycle the one where you are running 12 psi?
12/21 is about 57%

MOtown A4
07-16-2010, 09:16 PM
so i just finished up replacing the cam chain tensioner...started up fine. i took it for a 15 mile trip, stopping ever 3 miles...shutting it off, then starting it back up after 5 minutes. on the last startup it had a little trouble starting, gave it a little throttle and it started up fine...shut it back off, started up right away, but threw a code. i'll scan it tomorrow to get the codes, but it's now boosting the full21 PSI instead of 12. even with the CEL now.