PDA

View Full Version : Pleaseeee help dreaded turbo noise video inside!

Shhmaudi
06-12-2010, 01:45 PM
I started my car today and it made this god awful noise. I CANNOT make boost. Instead of spooling it makes this rattling noise and sounds like it is loose??? Car has no power.. What is really weird is that last night the car was running fine... turned it on today and its making this noise... I really hope its not blown... please advise![:|]

TIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j_Vq5T_1hE

protocol_droid
06-12-2010, 01:54 PM
That's how mine sounded when one of my impellars sheared completely off and was rattling inside the housing.

Shhmaudi
06-12-2010, 02:01 PM
That's how mine sounded when one of my impellars sheared completely off and was rattling inside the housing.

Shit. How did you go about fixing it? Could you make boost? How the f would an impeller get sheared off??

Thanks

geeky
06-12-2010, 02:03 PM
you should just quickly take the tip off and check the impeller/turbo shaft play. it'll take 5 minutes.

Shhmaudi
06-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Sorry for being a noob. But if there is shaftplay, then what am I Looking at for repairs??

BlackLock_A4
06-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Dang, sorry dude. BT time?

danphines
06-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Dang, sorry dude. BT time?

It is a big turbo and your CHRA is shot. my brothers sounded EXACTLY the same. you will have to buy a new one for about 900 dollars or send yours out to be rebuilt

protocol_droid
06-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Sorry for being a noob. But if there is shaftplay, then what am I Looking at for repairs??

with that noise, there won't be any shaft play...the impellar is severed off I"m afraid. Shaft play can lead to situations like this. you would definitely have no boost as a result.

Shhmaudi
06-12-2010, 04:23 PM
It is a big turbo and your CHRA is shot. my brothers sounded EXACTLY the same. you will have to buy a new one for about 900 dollars or send yours out to be rebuilt

What's is the chra? Is it with the cooling platform? How the f was my car running fine yesterday, then today its dunzo?

Again thank you for the input guys

protocol_droid
06-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Center Hub Rotating Assembly.

Shhmaudi
06-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Center Hub Rotating Assembly.

What would be the prime reasons for that to fail? My turbo has less than 9k on it. Does anyone else make a chra that would fit a garrett 28? I heard garrett is going to shit, using cheap metals... hence why on their website they have offered the bb service....?

walky_talky20
06-12-2010, 06:59 PM
There is a chance it is just the wastegate valve that fell off and is rattling around inside the cat. That would also cause no boost, and a rattle. I've seen that failure more than once. I suppose a broken turbine/shaft is also possible.

Either way, the easiest fix is a used K03 for around $150. Or make this a good excuse for an upgrade.

Shhmaudi
06-12-2010, 07:25 PM
There is a chance it is just the wastegate valve that fell off and is rattling around inside the cat. That would also cause no boost, and a rattle. I've seen that failure more than once. I suppose a broken turbine/shaft is also possible.

Either way, the easiest fix is a used K03 for around $150. Or make this a good excuse for an upgrade.
No cats and im pretty happy with my Gt28 good usable power for the street.. gonna have to check it out.. I hope whatever it is its covered under warranty... its pretty much new..

danphines
06-12-2010, 07:53 PM
No cats and im pretty happy with my Gt28 good usable power for the street.. gonna have to check it out.. I hope whatever it is its covered under warranty... its pretty much new..

my brothers failed in under a week.... and it was not covered under warranty, but its always worth a shot to try and get your money back.

Shhmaudi
06-12-2010, 08:31 PM
I took off the tip and there was hardly any shaft play.. maybe a hairs worth. however there is a "clunk" noise... and a lil residue on the inlet. All props are intact.. I am gonna take off the tp and see if the waste gate is okay. I read danphines post and it seems that chra is probably it.. sad

Shhmaudi
06-13-2010, 03:33 PM
my brothers failed in under a week.... and it was not covered under warranty, but its always worth a shot to try and get your money back.

What company did your brother buy his Turbo from?

danphines
06-13-2010, 04:07 PM
What company did your brother buy his Turbo from?

034 Motorsport. We did not have a good experience needless to say i will not be buying anything from them again.