PDA

View Full Version : Yet another problem arises...fml

willowtreexx
06-12-2010, 07:54 AM
So being down in florida i have found two more problems. one is the wheels bearing that is being replaced on tuesday but another one is a fluttering...

Ill be going down the highway doing about 70-80mph and get on it enough to downshift once, the tach will then be at about 5000rpms and start jumping around as if the fuel is being cut off. weird cause the tach will 5k to 4k and the boost will also jump around. I cant make it happen all the time only sometimes which is frustrating.

if you all have any ideas that would be great. maybe something like a DV or something? im lost on this one along with my limp issue. [headbang] just rolled over 142,000 miles

walky_talky20
06-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Is the tach darting around impossibly fast, or just with the engine? It sounds like this may be a crank sensor problem. Are there any problems when you rev it out at lower road speeds? Or only when you are breaking the speed limit?

First thing to do is check for codes. Messing up like that is almost sure to set a code.

willowtreexx
06-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Is the tach darting around impossibly fast, or just with the engine? It sounds like this may be a crank sensor problem. Are there any problems when you rev it out at lower road speeds? Or only when you are breaking the speed limit?

First thing to do is check for codes. Messing up like that is almost sure to set a code.

no its not impossibly fast at all. takes about 1.5 seconds to go from 4-5k rpm. I just ran the codes and the only one i got is P1556 for my limp issue. oh and it doesnt happen at lower speeds only faster. and breaking the speed limit...well the limit is 70mph and on US75 near tampa if you do under 80 you;ll get run over

walky_talky20
06-12-2010, 11:08 AM
I was just kidding about the speed limit thing, lol.

Next thing I'd do is look at fuel trims, then log the MAF and boost pressure.

Sounds like it might be a boost leak issue, and it is running rich enough to cause problems. Definitely log MAF and Boost.

willowtreexx
06-13-2010, 10:18 AM
I was hoping you were but there are some people on here that are really pissy about that ha.

I agree with a boost leak issue, i got to do yet another boost leak test and see what happens. i dont have a Vag, but i am taking it into a shop down here in sarasota, (Fifteen52) and see what they say.

Seerlah
06-13-2010, 10:49 AM
I would say you have a boost leak. May be the reason you are in limp mode, also. I remember a thread a couple days to a week and a half ago where you attempted a boost leak test?

If I recall corrently, you didn't perform it correct. Or you had a major boost leak. When I do a boost leak test and my system is sealed, ther gauge on my compressor will stay constant with no leak. I usually take out the pcv valve and plug it with a substitute wine cork (the ones with the lever they sell for like 50 cents at liquor stores). And if it pops out like a projectile after maybe 5 seconds of having my system pressurised at 15psi, I know my system is tight. Just did a boost leak test last week (cork stayed in the bung), and replaced the ripped hose that was causing my boost leak maybe an hour ago. I will be doing another test to confirm I have absolutely no leaks in a little while. I suggest you do the same.

willowtreexx
06-14-2010, 08:36 AM
That is good advice, I am most definitely going to continue doing boost leak tests till i replace and find every split hose. just is really tired of all the maintenance lately.

willowtreexx
06-18-2010, 08:30 AM
alright so i dont have a boost leak. I took it to fifteen52 in sarasota which is just unbelievable. LOVE THE PLACE. they did a bunch of tests, put on a new N75, bipassed the sensor under the intake manifold by rerouting the vacuum lines, forgot the name of it. and STILL HAVE LIMP!!! damnit

flynnr
06-18-2010, 08:40 AM
first thing i though of when you said fluttering was the diverter valve is torn which means it could hold boost when you gradually get on it, but not when you suddenly downshift and have full boost all of a sudden.. idk i would swap that out with someone asap to try that if i were you!!

and i doubt the DV would throw a CEL