PDA

View Full Version : upper adjustable control arms?

my 1.8t
06-11-2010, 09:27 AM
i need to put a pair of front adjustable control arms...i did an 1 1/4 inch drop and got it aligned and still in negative camber so need to do something before i eat through new tires... so my question is what is a good brand or any segestions on some web sites.. or any other segestions please help.....

lotusgardener
06-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Stern; but they're gonna cost you. You can get away with negative camber, just make sure the toe is right on.

my 1.8t
06-11-2010, 09:30 AM
ok cool do you have a web site by ay chance... ill def pay for them if it will help

Asharp27
06-11-2010, 09:33 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Stern+audi+control+arms

... thought maybe this would help

belinko
06-11-2010, 09:42 AM
www.purems.com

Mike or John can help you out.

my 1.8t
06-11-2010, 09:52 AM
thanks man ill def look...
www.purems.com

my 1.8t
06-11-2010, 10:02 AM
man that was a big help and great priceing also thanks for all the help man....
www.purems.com

black99.5a4
06-11-2010, 10:08 AM
I have stern adj uppers on my car.. maybe 2000 miles on them before i tore the car apart.. i like them. i'm very happy with em.

onemoremile
06-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Stop the kindergarten crap.

Negative camber doesn't do much to accelerate tire wear unless the toe is also off. There is a big difference between just rolling on the inner 2/3 of the tread and scrubbing the tread off from bad toe.

Seerlah
06-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I am pretty sure the Stern Adjustable control arms are sold out just about everywhere. 034 just released their adjustable front upper control arms and I ordered them a couple days ago. They are pricey, but I am kind of getting tired of my car having the slanted front. My alignment (toe) is correct and I have had no issues yet. It's just getting to me not having my vehicle balanced.

my 1.8t
06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
yeah me to and thats why i want them also well thanks for all the help guys
I am pretty sure the Stern Adjustable control arms are sold out just about everywhere. 034 just released their adjustable front upper control arms and I ordered them a couple days ago. They are pricey, but I am kind of getting tired of my car having the slanted front. My alignment (toe) is correct and I have had no issues yet. It's just getting to me not having my vehicle balanced.

my 1.8t
06-11-2010, 04:18 PM
also what is the website for 034 so i can look at theres

Seerlah
06-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Look in the Group Buy section. JH Motorsports is having an introductory sale oj them, and that is where I found out about it. Here, I'll make it easier for you.

034 BG on Adjustable Front Upper CA (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?368078-*NEW*034Motorsport-Adjustable-Front-Upper-Control-Arm-Kit-for-the-C5-B5-B6-B7-chassis)
034 Website (http://www.034motorsport.com/)

gmx
10-08-2010, 02:26 AM

Bump,

How do you find them Seerlah?

Seerlah
10-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Haven't installed them yet. Want to do all my suspension parts at the same time. Winter time is coming, so the car will be raised back up and my camber will be back to specs. When spring time comes, then I will install them along with sway bar links, tie rods, and lower control arms.

But having inspected them, I am really likign the design. Some say they are more complicated for adjutsment, but it looks rather simple to me. There was also a discussion (or brought up topic) of how the Stern units have a weak spot, which is the middle portion of the arm, where the camber adjuster is. You can have a slight bend occur there, but does not deter from performance at all. The 034 units are designed totally different. As for weak points on the 034 units, I would need to install them and then update when I do notice something, if anything.

If you look in the links on my previous post, you can read about details of the 034 units. I personally don't regret purchasing them and they aren't even installed on my vehicle yet. They are sent at stock settings (length of CA when adjusted), so it is that much easier to go about things.

black99.5a4
10-09-2010, 04:51 AM

Negative camber doesn't do much to accelerate tire wear unless the toe is also off. There is a big difference between just rolling on the inner 2/3 of the tread and scrubbing the tread off from bad toe.

no shit captain... but who the fuck wants to ride on the last 2" of tread? that really handles well, plus that section of thread in most cases is thinner, so if the toe is out, you wear through it quicker.. even if toe isnt out, it wears quicker then running on more of the tire.

I prefer my car to handle well, at any height.. when my car was aligned the first time without sterns, it still felt weird in the steering but I was dumped. I got the sterns and its night and day.

flandog
10-09-2010, 10:42 AM
call Joe at axis motorsports for the CA

capea4
10-09-2010, 01:02 PM
no shit captain... but who the fuck wants to ride on the last 2" of tread? that really handles well, plus that section of thread in most cases is thinner, so if the toe is out, you wear through it quicker.. even if toe isnt out, it wears quicker then running on more of the tire.

I prefer my car to handle well, at any height.. when my car was aligned the first time without sterns, it still felt weird in the steering but I was dumped. I got the sterns and its night and day.

This is great! When you corner the tire leans over and becomes parallel to the road, that is why i need adjustable arms, i want more negative camber.

99blueb5
10-09-2010, 03:33 PM

thanks you for saying this[hail] i have had the same set of tires on my car for over 50k front and rear and when i put my coils on i did and alignment and boy did i have some bad camber readings but i adjusted my toe as much as i could and there is literally no actual visual wear on the inside edge of my tire.

i do agree that the whole extreme neg camber doesnt help with preformance at all(in most cases) but its anoying when people do lowering springs on there car and they insist on needing adjustable control arms, i just think its overkill unless you change your ride height all the time and of course the part about having the money for them haha

D's Avant
10-10-2010, 06:18 AM
This is great! When you corner the tire leans over and becomes parallel to the road, that is why i need adjustable arms, i want more negative camber.

How much negative camber are you looking for? I'm at 25.5 ground to fender and my camber is at -1.6, which is pretty aggressive for a street set-up.

capea4
10-10-2010, 06:23 AM
How much negative camber are you looking for? I'm at 25.5 ground to fender and my camber is at -1.6, which is pretty aggressive for a street set-up.

i am the same, but with the H&R street kit, I still heat the outside a bit more, I'm thinking 1.8 to 2.0, have to test at the track. I haven't ordered them yet because i want a better coilover.

gmx
10-10-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm also thinking -2.0 plus/minus .2 front.
This should noticably help with the long/loaded and higher speed corners.
I constantly get front chunking when overdoing it. Rolling out to induce oversteer means losing time as you're not on it, obviously.

Lowering limits suspension travel and doing this to get more camber is not such a good compromise. Not to mention bottoming out issues :(

terraflata
10-10-2010, 03:02 PM

Isn't that what multi link suspension is for? So that it adjusts according to suspension movement? Kinda like Non-Equal Length Parralel suspensions on F1 cars i.e. The further the arms get pushed upward the more camber changes in order to keep the tire in as much contact with the road.

gmx
10-10-2010, 04:33 PM
dynamic has it's ranges.
Otherwise we'd all get away with running 0 to maximize traction and relying on the dynamics to get us neg camber for lateral grip.