PDA

View Full Version : Clutch install

Jared7744
06-11-2010, 05:04 AM
Hey everyone, I'm gonna be installing a new clutch soon. It's a Southbend clutch kit for use with OEM flywheel. My car is a 1998 A4 1.8t quattro. I was wondering if anyone has any advice/tips on dong this. Also if anyone knows of a good online walkthrough or anything. Thanks.

grillhands
06-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Hey everyone, I'm gonna be installing a new clutch soon. It's a Southbend clutch kit for use with OEM flywheel. My car is a 1998 A4 1.8t quattro. I was wondering if anyone has any advice/tips on dong this. Also if anyone knows of a good online walkthrough or anything. Thanks.

Google diy audi and there is tons of information on that site.

flynnr
06-11-2010, 06:05 AM
get your stock dual mass fly resurfaced!

Seerlah
06-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Have fun[wrench]. I'm personally going to have my mechanic install mine when I upgrade ($250). Read too many threads of how much of a headache it is to change. One thing I can tell you, most will say it is easier to pull the engine for changing the clutch.

Robb12
06-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Have fun[wrench]. I'm personally going to have my mechanic install mine when I upgrade ($250). Read too many threads of how much of a headache it is to change. One thing I can tell you, most will say it is easier to pull the engine for changing the clutch.

Is that $250 for the labor? I expect mine to be more than that but I will find out tonight.

Jared7744
06-11-2010, 02:40 PM
I got quoted 450$ labor plus parts, a waste of money when all i really need is a weekend of time.

Robb12
06-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Well I'm getting SB stg 3 and taking it to my mechanic to install but haven't gotten the quote yet. So with the clutch alone I'm already in $450...unless someone know of a cheaper route for stg 3......That plus labor I expected about $800. But I agree with Seerlah, not a job I'd tackle, I've heard to prepare about 15 hours of work if diy

Seerlah
06-11-2010, 02:45 PM
My mechanic doesn't overcharge (ie does not rape people) and is a pure enthusiest (has a B5 Passat Quattro conversion VR6 swap and he is currently deciding on what turbo he wants next..........or already has it. haven't been to his shop in maybe 2 months now). That's all I will say, because I don't want an infraction. But yes, $250 labor and you supply parts. That's what he quoted me last time I asked. Besides, he works quick.

.Mad Hatter.
06-11-2010, 02:54 PM
thats still waaaaaaaaaay under book value in terms of hours worked. even if he charges $50/hour, which is super cheap. youre getting a good deal, I imagine the guy i see once in a while (who i trust) would still charge me at least 6 hours labor.

Seerlah
06-11-2010, 02:58 PM
I've seen him pull rods to replace for IE units in maybe 20 min. I wasn't able to see how fast he would have installed the new ones, because he spent an incredible amount of time cleaning the pistons. I think he let them sit overnight in degreaser after he srubbed the sh*t out of them.

dcampana
06-11-2010, 04:24 PM
been there on the clutch install. took about 8h ours to pull and 4 1/2 hours to install. not as fun as wold have liked, as i was by myslef and did it in my driveway on jackstands.

just get some beer, and take breaks when things piss you off.

audidiy.com will be your friend for many things.

direct link for you:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng48.shtml

kyle22
06-11-2010, 07:54 PM
ive done 2 b5 clutches one on a 30v and one on a 1.8t both quattro. Personally i didnt think it was all that hard but i am a mechanic. i would leave a weekend to do it if its your first time. The first time i did it we got whole car up about 1.5 to 2 feet off the ground with ramps and spare paver stones under the ramps. worked very nicely had plenty of room to move about under the car. any questions feel free to ask

10kredline
06-11-2010, 08:36 PM
DO NOT resurface your flywheel, just get a new one. Since you are going in there, might as well change it. Your stage 2 SB should be a non sprung disc hub, which you have to use with a dual mass flywheel. It is a headache if you are going to DIY, but if you are mechanically inclined, go for it.

Nebone
06-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I just installed a Southbend Stage 2 in mine last weekend along with a 2.8 transmission and dropped the pan to replace the oil pickup. If I could pay $250, i'd do it in a heartbeat because that is pocket change for this type of job. The clutch is easy to drive on but definitely different than stock. Make sure you have AT LEAST 2 people pulling and putting the transmission back in. Shit is heavy!

EuroDriven
06-12-2010, 04:23 PM
I've seen him pull rods to replace for IE units in maybe 20 min. I wasn't able to see how fast he would have installed the new ones, because he spent an incredible amount of time cleaning the pistons. I think he let them sit overnight in degreaser after he srubbed the sh*t out of them.

Where do you live/how much do you think he would charge for this? I need it for my build and not sure if I will have the time.

Also how did he get them out so fast?

-John

Jared7744
06-13-2010, 05:43 PM
im actually putting a stage 3 southbend. And im resurfacing the flywheel for sure. A good aftermarket flywheel is not cheap and im on somewhat of a tight budget.

Nebone
06-14-2010, 06:56 AM
I've seen him pull rods to replace for IE units in maybe 20 min.

I think you've seen a Fast Forwarded youtube video or your watch is working slow.

Seerlah
06-14-2010, 11:10 AM
He had one other person working with him. But it was roughly 20 min.

flynnr
06-14-2010, 11:40 AM
im actually putting a stage 3 southbend. And im resurfacing the flywheel for sure. A good aftermarket flywheel is not cheap and im on somewhat of a tight budget.

is this sprung or not? you might not be able to use your dual mass...

WEBER
06-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Just finished fx300 and spec lwfw, over the weekend. I pulled the engine, much easier than trying to lower, lift, and spend most the day working under the car. Also gives you a great chance to clean all the neither regions of your engine and engine bay.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2346/clutch001w.jpg (http://img195.imageshack.us/i/clutch001w.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Nebone
06-14-2010, 07:55 PM
I't even easier to pull the engine with the trans out with the harness on top of the motor.

Jared7744
06-15-2010, 10:09 AM
is this sprung or not? you might not be able to use your dual mass...

not sure, but the kit says for use with OEM flywheel