PDA

View Full Version : My b5 is losing power steering fluid

yasky777
06-11-2010, 04:25 AM
My B5 has 190k on it and recently started losing power steering fluid. How can I tell if a hose is bad, if the pump is out or if the container is not holding fluid.

Last night when I was driving it I started hearing the winding noise, I pulled over opened my hood and opened that compartment the fluid was low and sizzling like it's getting hot. Has anyone else experienced this?

bw86
06-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Check for leaks under the reservoir. That's where mine was leaking and all I had to do is tighten the hose clamps.

powersmokin
06-11-2010, 07:08 AM
squeeze the boots on your steering rack and see if you can hear or feel fluid in them is so it your rack it a very common problem with these cars.

mtroxel
06-11-2010, 07:43 AM
^^^^good advice^^^^^ At that mileage the rack can leak. But you're also just going to have to look everywhere. Can be from the connections at the tank, can also be where the metal crimps of the banjo connections meet the hose. I assume you've taken a good look at the pump too. Can leak there, thought that seems to be less common as a leak point.

Oceanside
06-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Mine was leaking from the connections at the cooler on the front and doing alot of highway miles, it fried the pump before I noticed. The pump is a ***** to replace without taking off the front end

mtroxel
06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
The pump is a ***** to replace without taking off the front end

Probably depends on the motor. I did it on a 96 2.8 and it took about 90 mins. It's right on top up front....no biggie.

yasky777
06-12-2010, 01:26 PM
I found out its a bad hose, I did not get the hose number but I will find out on Monday. I went to ECS tuning website and saw multiple hoses for under $100.00 I hope these are the right ones.
They all I believe are High pressure power steering hoses. Can anyone give me more details with out me posting a picture?

The hose had a sleeve on it and it was full of fluid dripping. Possibly pressure hose from pump to rack.

Tifun
06-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Check for leaks under the reservoir. That's where mine was leaking and all I had to do is tighten the hose clamps.

x2 I had a leak out of one of the crappy clamps on the PS cooler line that goes to the front of the car. I put a new one on and problem solved [:)]

Also I live in Indy hehe.

yasky777
06-12-2010, 01:37 PM
x2 I had a leak out of one of the crappy clamps on the PS cooler line that goes to the front of the car. I put a new one on and problem solved [:)]

Ok, was the line you replaced it with a High pressure hose? I did see the leaking from the connecting metals at both ends.

yasky777
06-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Is this a total do it yourself job with the hose being high pressure? it as simple as using a wrench, disconnecting and reconnecting the hoses?

Tifun
06-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Mine was simply replacing a clamp at the end of the cooler line. I didn't have to replace any lines. Also, don't use PS fluid from part stores. Our cars use a mineral spirit based fluid. Get it from either international parts or the dealer here in Indy if you don't already have it.

yasky777
06-14-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm sure that fluid is triple the price as well. Everytime I drive I have to refill the reservoir.

ECS Tuning-Audi
06-14-2010, 01:27 PM
All these hoses have descriptions (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Steering/Hose/?salesrep=CArmbruster&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=CArmbruster&utm_campaign=postreply) telling you what goes where. Once you've found the leaking hose just match it to the description and replace it. Once you have your leak fixed then fill and check for leaks. PM me if need more help, but it should be pretty self descriptive.