PDA

View Full Version : Sell me a clutch! And a few questions...

EuroDriven
06-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Few things first, I am to the point of my build where even though I haven't started it, I HAVE to start dropping the tranny after this Saturday (one the other tranny is coming out of the donor car) so I can have everything installed before my lease on my DD is up in august. So, this means I am in search of a clutch. Build thread is linked below, but I would like somethat that can hold 400+ awhp. I was looking at the Clutchmaster's fx400 6puck I believe but was told the Southbend stage 3(+) would be fine for what I want.

This means I also need a flywheel, I know nothing about these parts, so I need to know how I will know if a flywheel I buy used (I wouldn't prefer this) would fit, and any issues that can be had with flywheels if I buy used.

If I buy new what are some good options, I don't know the difference between aluminum or steel LWFW, or the difference in how light it is makes. This BAT car WILL be my DD as soon as it is finished, so I need something performance but very streetable.

I also read something just the other day about difference in the pressure plate ratings (27lb vs 54lb) and how that effects pedal pressure. Again this needs to be "comfortable" for a DD...

Build Thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?327743-1998-A4-1.8TQM-GT3071R-build-starting

Also, I don't know anything about prices at different places since I don't know what I NEED. So someone give me deal! [:d][wrench][drive]

Thanks all!

-John

Hate to go used but what about something like this:http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4904456-FS-1.8T-Southbend-stage-4-clutch-DXD-and-aluminum-single-mass-flywheel-450

bob12312357
06-09-2010, 06:17 AM
I would go FX400. it is the same pedal pressure if not slightly lighter then stock and my sister learned how 2 drive stick on it in an hour. It's very streetable.

lotusgardener
06-09-2010, 07:35 AM
http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=35853&title=fs-3a-b5-2fb6-240mm-6-puck-fx400-cm-clutch-kit&cat=21

You're welcome.

lotusgardener
06-09-2010, 07:40 AM
And the by the way I have a Southbend Stage 2 setup, and it chatters like a mofo! Rediculously loud and I can't wait to start my build at the end of the summer to drop the thing.

bob12312357
06-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Yea I've driven a few southbends and HATED em. The clutchmasters clutch and flywheel drives OEM and its a puck clutch. It's a lot better also if you do a lot of heavy traffic driving, the southbend in just too stiff for a DD in NYC. If I didn't tell people its a puck clutch and LWFW in the car friends wouldn't even notice. The FX-400 jsut grabs so nicely and damn smooth being its a puck with LWFW. Mike Pitzero is the man and he recomends this set-up for BT's and I deff don't regret it.

EuroDriven
06-09-2010, 07:49 AM
http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=35853&title=fs-3a-b5-2fb6-240mm-6-puck-fx400-cm-clutch-kit&cat=21

You're welcome.

You have me sold. I have some questions so YGPM.

-John

grillhands
06-09-2010, 08:57 AM
You have me sold. I have some questions so YGPM.

-John

I have a brand new in the box fx400 6 puck at home. Pm me and i'll tell you how much i want for it. I'll let it go cheap. Brand new shipped its about 630. It'll be way less than that. I'll send pics if you want.

dcampana
06-09-2010, 09:40 AM
^^ pm grillhands. the CM is a great clutch.. i DD my 6 puck FX400 easily. my wife loves to drive the car as is too, so that can attest to the "ease" of the clutch..

wish there were these deals when i bought mine.

EuroDriven
06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
^^ pm grillhands. the CM is a great clutch.. i DD my 6 puck FX400 easily. my wife loves to drive the car as is too, so that can attest to the "ease" of the clutch..

wish there were these deals when i bought mine.

I am talking to Lotusgardner since his has the whole package w/ the flywheel and all.

its an s4 6 puck fx400 clutch. What clutch masters does it make a custom flywheel (17lbs) that allows you to use the larger s4 clutch on the regular a4. Its a 240mm clutch disc vs I think a 210 mm clutch disc. Right off the bat your gaining an extra 30mm or clutch disc wich increases your torque capacity substantially. You will have no chatter with this setup and stock like driveability. You can abuse teh shit out of it and you wont break it. Launch all you want.

I am down for an extra 30mm. besides...size DOES count..

-John