PDA

View Full Version : Which tires for mostly daily driving and 2-3 track events a year?

$teady$upreme
06-07-2010, 07:11 PM
1) Bridgestone Potenza RE070
2) Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
3) Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110
4) Sumitomo HTR Z III

Reasons why those 4 sets are because those are within my budget. Let me know if you had any experienced with those sets and how you like them. Thank you~

AvantJunkie
06-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Although I don't have any personal experience with the V12 Evo's, I have owned the previous version of the V12 Evo K110, which was the K104. They were a great tire for the price range, and I have heard only good things about the V12 evo. I'm actually picking up a set in the next couple of weeks myself.

Kronic Budz
06-07-2010, 09:44 PM
i have put around 500 miles on my v12 evos. They are pretty nice tires. And quite cheap. I think they would provide enough grip on the track and also decent tread wear for your normal DD routine. On the other hand, my roomate has the star specs on his 04 330i and handle wonderfully, but then again, he has around 500 miles as well and his outside edges are starting to chip away... but he drives his car HARD.

if your on a budget and still want performance but nice ride quality, get the hankooks..

zephyr125
06-08-2010, 09:56 AM
i just got the hankooks and I love them. i've only put about 500 miles on them so far but i'm loving them so far.

bob12312357
06-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Just remember your not looking for a tire with the most grip for the track. You want a predictable tire that maintains consistent grip throughout the event. You will reach much higher temps on the track then the street so someones tire advice from their "spirited" street driving expierence may not always be true after the 3rd lap. I used shitty 60,000 mile warrenty all seasons on the track twice with great success. The tires are like bricks, the sidewalls are softer then the average Americans stomach yet they are very predictable and maintained the same level of grip(if you could call it that) throughout the sessions. having said that I can't give u any meaningful advice on which tire to pick, but if u go on tire rack and look at the reviews which can actaully be filtered for track/auto-x reviews and look for a car of similiar weight and drive train to yours then it will be much better then asking a forum of wannabe Ricky Bobbies which tire is their favorite.

jm121189
06-09-2010, 07:32 AM
I just picked up a set of the Hankook's and they are great. I have driven on them for a few weeks and they are great daily. I also had them up at NHMS for 2 days and they are awesome on the track. I would buy them again especially for the price.

mikmot
06-09-2010, 07:45 AM
of the ones you listed, id 100% go with the star specs. best suited for the track, pretty good in the rain as well when at near full thread depth.
however, you will surely have to run snow tires in the winter.

mikmot
06-09-2010, 07:51 AM
by the way, the other three tires listed are not ideal for max grip on the track. i promise you you'll be kicking yourself at the track events if you dont go with a proper
track tire.
the three other tires however, are a pretty long lasting STREET summer tire. and thats all theyre good for.
the star specs - with the low tread wear rating, although great on the track, will not last as long as the other three.

UCFQuattroguy
06-09-2010, 04:53 PM
FWIW..the Star Spec is *THE* tire to have in Solo II Street Tire classes... Grip is certainly not on par with a proper DOT R-Compound...but they're darn good for a street tire. From what I understand, wear isn't *that* bad either.

geeky
06-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Check http://www.onlinetires.com for other options and prices too. I recently purchased my tires from there. Got 4x 215/35/18's for 270 shipped. I bought some lower end tires i know i know, the only part of that car that touches the road are the tires, but low on cash right now being a college student. Don't judge me, lol

andyrew
06-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Its either the star specs or you pony up for RE11's

I vote to pony for the RE11's... I have RE01R's on my car and have 15-20k miles on them plus a full track day, 6 autox's and 1 autox school... And they are ~ 50%.. They put my car to 1.04 G's on the skidpad. Amazing daily driver tires.. So nice to drive on...

Pony up for the good tires, Or else you will be overheating more street oriented tires on the track.