PDA

View Full Version : SIA, PCV, and EGR Removal (2.8)

zlam27
06-07-2010, 03:07 PM
So I have searched around for over an hour and all the write-ups and information on removing these systems are for 1.8T engines.

First of all, is it possible on the 2.8 and is it worth it (no loss in MPGs)?

Second, can anyone lead me to some DIYs for it?

I have oil in my spark plug wells and my car is running rough so I'm assuming I have a misfire. I'm planning to buy the valve cover gasket kit, spark plugs, and spark plug wires ASAP. I know I need to get a new breather system (suction valve, pcv, hoses, etc) but I really want to know if I can remove the whole works before I spend $160 on the kit.

Can anyone give me some assistance? I was getting so frustrated looking for a write-up that I'm about to just order the kit. By the way, my car is a '99 A4 2.8Q with 173k.

walky_talky20
06-07-2010, 03:18 PM
I would suggest you replace the cam chain adjuster gaskets at the same time. Those are usually the main leak culprits on the 2.8. As far as the PCV, if it were mine I would just try to clean out the PCV hoses as best as possible and reassemble. If it is broken somewhere, you can patch it together with some rubber hose. No reason to delete it really. On the 1.8T, many of the PCV items are places for possible boost leaks. That is one of the reasons it is popular to delete it. Not really necessary on the 2.8.

zlam27
06-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Yea, I already replaced the passenger side breather tube with some rubber hose since ECS wants $80 for the crappy stock plastic one. I think my PCV/breather system is needing replaced and therefore the higher crankcase and valve cover pressure is causing my car to leak oil and blow by the valve cover gasket. My choices are to pay $160 for a new kit or $xx for a catch-can system and remove all that garbage.

I am ordering the gasket kit from Blauparts which comes with the cam adjuster gaskets as well... and I already purchased a cam tensioner tool. Sometimes on start-up my car has a bad ticking/clicking noise so I'm wondering if my cam chain tensioner is bad... I guess I won't know until I tear into it.

Any input on the SAI or EGR stuff? Just got a wild hair on my ass, figured if I was going to tear into it to replace a bunch of gaskets I might as well simplify some other things while I was under the hood...