PDA

View Full Version : A/C Problem, need help after getting on-board diagnostic codes

SELFdizolve
06-07-2010, 02:18 AM
I've had no A/C in my 99.5 1.8 since I bought the car a few months ago, and now that the weather is almost in the 90's I could sure use some cold air. I started doing some research on here to find my problem, but am stuck after getting the on-board diagnostic codes. I used this site http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int6.shtml but don't know how to properly figure out what my problem is.

Here are my codes:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4677667653_bef904e8ff.jpg

If anyone could help, it will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

SELFdizolve
06-07-2010, 12:13 PM
After looking it not half asleep, I saw this:

#19 - 6.3 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT), A/C sporadic open
#20 - 13.5 Footwell/Defroster Flap, static block

Would these cause my A/C to not work? If so, How do I fix them.

marknad113
06-07-2010, 12:19 PM
have u tried just recharging the system with a new can of that shyt? (forget the name right now) maybe you are just low, it is an older car and that is fairly common

SELFdizolve
06-07-2010, 12:20 PM
I was going to, have read that does not always do the trick.

Dallas09
06-07-2010, 02:16 PM
You should do some searching, theres a ton of threads on this lately. Anyway, block 1 says your A/C switch is preventing the A/C from turning on, either because of too high, a bad switch, or too low (most likely) pressure. There is another block that says if the switch was tripped high or low (52), but based on what you gave for the value I cant tell what it is... What you need to do is get an A/C pressure gauge and connect it to the low pressure service port. If you have no pressure you have a leak, if you have a leak you need to look for green dye around all of the A/C components, and look for wet looking circles on your condenser (the radiator in front of the radiator). If you have pressure you should short together the connector of the pressure switch to see if the pressure switch is faulty. And you should diagnose in that order, because if you short together the switch and you dont have any refrigerant in the system you will ruin your compressor.

The shyt is called r-134a refrigerant.

You cant really just recharge the system if it lost pressure, if it lost pressure because of a leak it needs to be evacuated before being filled. And if you have a leak, you might as well fix it otherwise you will have to keep topping it off (especially if its a large leak, so you need to ask yourself did the A/C slowly get shittier, or did it stop working quickly). You also should consider replacing your dryer (silver canister thing behind the passenger headlight, aka accumulator i think), and your orafice tube (aka restrictor), these components should be replaced when pressure is lost completely and the system is exposed to contaminants.

SELFdizolve
06-08-2010, 04:50 PM
So I got myself an A/C pressure gauge and connected it to the low pressure service port. I have very high pressure, the gauge read 100. So now I should short together the connector of the pressure switch to see if the pressure switch is faulty, but how exactly do I do that?

SELFdizolve
06-08-2010, 06:02 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

Turns out when I did the tb/wp I was finishing it up in the dark and forgot to plug in the pressure switch. Noob move on my part, but glad it was an easy fix.