PDA

View Full Version : Clutch recommendations?

codymack43
06-06-2010, 01:33 PM
So my clutch essentially shattered while driving a few days ago. I knew it was getting old, now its gone.
I can put it in gear without clutching but the car doesnt go anywhere. Also, when i let the clutch off in gear; it sounds like a bunch of metal bouncing around.

This means its fucked right?

What would you guys recommend on a new clutch? I hear people are happy with the southbend series. Would I want to go for a single mass fw too?

The car is mostly stock right now, but by the end of summer, it'll push around 300-350 horse with a bigger turbo, tune, exhaust, injectors, fmic, and possibly meth, so it'll have to support the associated torque.

I get better pricing from hps, so if theres something there that you would specifically recommend, that would be great.
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/performanceparts/Audi/A4/Clutch/Clutch_Kits

walky_talky20
06-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Southbend used to be the clutch of choice, but some people have had problems lately with those. One of the new favorites is the ClutchMasters FX300 or FX400.

Check out www.ringer-racing.com or call and talk to Mike.

Here's a great review thread to read on these clutches:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?347023-Review-and-Video-Clutch-Masters-240mm-FX300-w-Billet-Steel-Flywheel

codymack43
06-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Southbend used to be the clutch of choice, but some people have had problems lately with those. One of the new favorites is the ClutchMasters FX300 or FX400.

Check out www.ringer-racing.com or call and talk to Mike.

Here's a great review thread to read on these clutches:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?347023-Review-and-Video-Clutch-Masters-240mm-FX300-w-Billet-Steel-Flywheel
Would the fx400 be overkill?

2001A4QUATTRO
06-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Still no problems with my OFE SS Stage 4 with stock Dual mass FW @ 20k miles! Great pedal feel and drivability. Mods in sig. You can call SB like I did, thier customer support is great! Good luck!

old guy
06-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Still no problems with my OFE SS Stage 4 with stock Dual mass FW @ 20k miles! Great pedal feel and drivability. Mods in sig. You can call SB like I did, thier customer support is great! Good luck!

I am running the same set up and have 45K miles on it. I agree that SB customer support is top notch. However, I would recommend finding and driving this set up before you purchase the SS pressure plate. The increase in pedal pressure is significant (50 lbs versus 29 lbs for a stock clutch). I actually had to give the car to my son for several months while I rehabbed my knee before I could drive it.

biketsai
06-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Clutchmasters FX400

codymack43
06-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Clutchmasters FX400

I think I'm gonna go with the 400.

Now, should i get the 8 pad, 6 puck, or 4 puck?

And should I get a new FW while i'm at it?
Which is better for my setup now / future setup? 11 lb aluminum, or 14 lb steel?

biketsai
06-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I think I'm gonna go with the 400.

Now, should i get the 8 pad, 6 puck, or 4 puck?

And should I get a new FW while i'm at it?
Which is better for my setup now / future setup? 11 lb aluminum, or 14 lb steel?

I got my complete setup (FX400/8 puck/14lb steel) at an awesome price from Mike Hood @ ringer-racing.com

Get the 8 puck/full face, it should be the best for DD.
If I were you, you might as well get the new FW since its only $300 extra. If you break the pricing down, you would take your stock flywheel to get resurfaced ($125), then shipping and handling both ways could be another $75. So for just $100 extra you might as well get the FW (thats how I justified it for myself). Get the 14lb, it doesnt chatter at all and you do not have to worry about mating to clutch.

codymack43
06-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I got my complete setup (FX400/8 puck/14lb steel) at an awesome price from Mike Hood @ ringer-racing.com

Get the 8 puck/full face, it should be the best for DD.
If I were you, you might as well get the new FW since its only $300 extra. If you break the pricing down, you would take your stock flywheel to get resurfaced ($125), then shipping and handling both ways could be another $75. So for just $100 extra you might as well get the FW (thats how I justified it for myself). Get the 14lb, it doesnt chatter at all and you do not have to worry about mating to clutch.

It looks like they have a sale on the 6 puck with a steel flywheel for $945. what exactly is the difference between 8, 6, and 4 puck?

biketsai
06-07-2010, 08:10 AM
IIRC the difference is how much it will hold/ how aggressive it will be. Stock setups are closer to a full face disk, the 8 puck has 8 pucks on a full face. The 6 puck and 4 puck are going to be more aggressive since they will not have as smooth as a transition. Although many on here are pretty happy with their 6 puck- I dont see why not.

Chris

flynnr
06-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Have 6 puck. its definately more agressive, but retains stock as fuck peddle feel. Just better for launching and throwing it into gear hard. But the 6 puck and 4 puck (dont get the 4...) are ceramic, so they are supposed to have longer life and you DO NOT need to break them in for 500 miles - 1000 miles like you *should* for normal clutchs

lotusgardener
06-07-2010, 09:27 AM
I would get the CM 240mm clutch kit. 240mm b5 s4 6 puck fx400 clutch mated to a custom 17lb steel flywheel to work with the a4. Will handle all the launches and power you can throw at it. I have one for 950 shipped new in box if interested.

codymack43
06-07-2010, 01:48 PM
I would get the CM 240mm clutch kit. 240mm b5 s4 6 puck fx400 clutch mated to a custom 17lb steel flywheel to work with the a4. Will handle all the launches and power you can throw at it. I have one for 950 shipped new in box if interested.

Thats a great deal, but I've bugged mike hood so much that I'm going to go through him. It's a little more than your price, but he's been extremely helpful

fernando
06-07-2010, 03:05 PM

i would beg to differ on that....i bought my sb stage 4 ofe and right off the hop nothing but problems....replaced my dual mass fw and still had the same issue, the replaced my disc wich got hammered on shipping and border duties again, and my clutch was always nothing but problems.....called them and they always blamed the hydrolic system and everything else around the clutch other than the cluch.....good thing that i didn't start replacing parts as they reccomended, i only replaced one part that fixed the problem....MY CLUTCH...bought the FX400....but 2 almost 5K later o got my clutch working well.....stay away from southbend