PDA

View Full Version : So i got offered money for my car...do i take it?

willowtreexx
06-06-2010, 11:02 AM
So my car is always for sale given the right amount of money, just wondering if this is considered "enough" money? I do know that i can not get money back out of the car with the after market stuff and my car is far from perfect. being 11 years old and putting about 1500 miles a month on the car it gets wear and tear. I do have to say the car is a 10/10 car, at 10 feet or 10mph the car looks amazing and get many compliments on it.

my thoughts, I could put the car back to stock and sell it and then sell all the aftermarket stuff separately or i could try and sell the car with the stuff on it for the right price. The guy threw a number at me with all the parts on it.

my car....

Its a 2000 with 141,000 miles on it.
auto
quattro
1.8T
silver
ATW motor (replaced 50,000 miles ago cause of sludge)
Perfectly maintained since i got it
all new vacuum hoses
new MAF
new abs controller
new battery
new brakes and rotors
new fuel filter
new DV
new front bumper
A/C recharged few months ago
and some more new stuff as well

Aftermarket:
H&R coilovers
Unitronics Stage 1 chip
Steering column boost gauge
35% tints all around
three sets of wheels
- 18x8.5 MRR GT1's with Parelli M+S tires not even a year old
- 16x8 ASA with Dunlop winter sports
- 15inch stock wheel with tires
OEM roof rack with thule wind shield, two thule bike carriers, large thule cargo bag
All weather S4 floor mats

the bad:
it does go into limp mode when i floor it after 55mph but will reset itself if turned off and back on
drivers seat has some cracks in the side bolster
exterior is rated prolly a 6.5 or 7 out of 10
pixels are missing
center arm rest leather is coming off

He offered me $6700 for the car with all the aftermarket stuff.

my initial reaction was if i were to sell it, convert it back to stock(which i have all of it) and sell it for $4500 give or take and then try and sell the aftermarket stuff to bring me to about $6500 cash when all said and done...but he offered me $6700 [:|]

what are all your thoughts,, yes i know its my car and i can do what i want just wanted a consensus from my fellow Ziners if you were put in the situation

DB33
06-06-2010, 11:09 AM
If you want to sell. I would take the offer (if I were you). No need to convert it back to stock. One thing is certain when moding a car/truck you'll never get what you put into it.

You can put that money down on a 10 or 11 B8!

ieatfishburitos
06-06-2010, 11:13 AM
take the cash and run....

lml999
06-06-2010, 11:13 AM
So my car is always for sale given the right amount of money, just wondering if this is considered "enough" money? I do know that i can not get money back out of the car with the after market stuff and my car is far from perfect. being 11 years old and putting about 1500 miles a month on the car it gets wear and tear.

He offered me $6700 for the car with all the aftermarket stuff.

my initial reaction was if i were to sell it, convert it back to stock(which i have all of it) and sell it for $4500 give or take and then try and sell the aftermarket stuff to bring me to about $6500 cash when all said and done...but he offered me $6700 [:|]

what are all your thoughts,, yes i know its my car and i can do what i want just wanted a consensus from my fellow Ziners if you were put in the situation

I think the money is a little short, but that might be wishful thinking on my part (I may be selling my '01 A4 1.8tqa).

The more important question is...if you do sell the car, what will you replace it with. If it's time to go, the money's right. If there's another car waiting, the money's right. If you're going to buy another Audi and invest another $5-8K in a build, the money's not right. :)

In my case, I've owned my avant for 3 years. I've done suspension (Eibach/Bilsteins/HSports), brakes (Boxster S, S4), chip (APR), exhaust (Milltek), S4 bumper & skirts, S4 leather sport interior, RNS-E nav, etc...

I'm not bored with the car, but after doing the exhaust, there's not much more to do. Without dropping $5K, the performance or handling won't dramatically increase. The car is great fun on the autocross circuit (although totally non-competitive) and good on the track. But I run with the local PCA club, and the performance gap is quite large. Perhaps I should spend more time with the Trabant User Group. :)

So I'm thinking about selling the car next year and moving to a 996, preferably one that has already had some work done to it (suspension, performance, etc.).

I don't know if this helps, but maybe it provides some context for your decision.

ShredRome
06-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Well since you asked here goes...I have felt similar about selling my car or parting it out and asked myself a few questions. First, do I love my car....well I like to drive it for now but if I had $$ I would want something else. And if I were to sell my car I would lose about 4k in aftermarket parts. So, I have decided to sell off all the unnecessary crap on my car (door blades, cf trim, carbonio, cf engine cover, kamei grill, coilovers) but keep what makes me happy about the car (stage 1+, APR DV, ABT body kit, APR sport exhaust, LED tails, and my blacked out Valeo headlights). As I see it I only spent about 1k on all the stuff I am keeping cuz I got good deals, and will make about 3k from the parts I am selling. That I can live with because depreciation or not, I couldn't upgrade to a car worthy of replacing my A4 without buying something way too new for me to afford. In all honesty, I say sell the car unless you love it so much as to keep it for a few years. Just my opinion though, food for thought.

willowtreexx
06-06-2010, 11:36 AM
figured i show a few pics as well
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/-Greg-/IMG_2139.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/-Greg-/IMG_2137.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/-Greg-/IMG_1497.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/-Greg-/IMG_1502.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/-Greg-/IMG_1505.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/-Greg-/IMG_1504.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/-Greg-/IMG_1507.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/-Greg-/IMG_1508.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/-Greg-/IMG_1509.jpg

jturnbull
06-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Honestly with the miles on the car and the fact its an automatic you'd be lucky to get $4500 for it stock. I would take the cash and save the hassle of trying to part it out when you'll probably make close to the same amount.

keeganhartman
06-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah like said above with the auto and the mileage i would take that money and not think twice about it.

Seerlah
06-06-2010, 01:43 PM
If you want to convert it back to stock, I have stock sports suspension I can sell you.

JEmm
06-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Honestly with the miles on the car and the fact its an automatic you'd be lucky to get $4500 for it stock. I would take the cash and save the hassle of trying to part it out when you'll probably make close to the same amount.

This. Take the money and run dude. Put that into a newer car with less miles and call it a day.

somebody5788
06-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Take it and run for the hills. Thats more then its worth. I have a 99.5 so the only difference is the center console and I'd be happy with $5500 which is a bit steep. 2.8's are generally worth more too as by the book they are the premium model so you should just take the cash and run. Hell I'll sell you mine for 5500 after that and you can keep your extra cash!

I'll even deliver!

biketsai
06-06-2010, 05:51 PM
If the guy appreciates the mods and is willing to pay a little more than a stock car price for your car, then by all means do it! But why sell it after you spent so mucuh time and money into it? I seriously remember all of the threads of shit you have gone through for this car.

the_pirate
06-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Why? I hope you get into another B5 we don't have enough down here!

Did you make it out to the meet Saturday night? Wish I could have hung around, 10:00 PM + 2.5 year old = a lot of whining. haha

wesleyfbm
06-06-2010, 06:46 PM
hmm yah in my eyes my car is worth so much more which is why I dont think I could ever sell....that and the fact the only other car that I want right now is a mk4 GLI. haha so sexy

andyrew
06-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Take the money

Seerlah
06-07-2010, 06:07 AM
Ok, just realised what he offered you (retracted my original post). Take the money.

doubleu8
06-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Take the money and run... now get off Audizine and do it

beejohn
06-07-2010, 11:31 AM
sell it.. but make sure you have the $ to get osmething else.. i vote g35 coupe haha

willowtreexx
06-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Why? I hope you get into another B5 we don't have enough down here!

Did you make it out to the meet Saturday night? Wish I could have hung around, 10:00 PM + 2.5 year old = a lot of whining. haha

long story short, i was with my best friend/ business partner and he wanted to run up to a Jimmy Buffet festival and then his parents took us out to eat which ran till like 10. Im working on cleaning my car today and also calling Urofixx and fifteen52 about my rear wheel bearing thats howling at me.

I promise to make it to the next one [up] and meet everyone. i have one more interview this thursday so ill be sticking around for a bit longer

thanks for all your help so far!

ouzo
06-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Take the money and run... now get off Audizine and do it

+1

SouRce4
06-08-2010, 09:26 AM
no brainer.... sell it

difrent7
06-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Hey man best of luck if you sell the car. Did this offer happen in Venice?

willowtreexx
06-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Hey man best of luck if you sell the car. Did this offer happen in Venice?

no unfortunately it happened the day before i had to come down to venice. I got a call wednesday saying that i had an interview on friday morning so i just picked up and drove down here. should still be here for another week

zergling
06-08-2010, 12:50 PM
I bought my '01 2.8 Quattro 5MT with 66k miles for $7400, so I think your cash offer is pretty good...

Jordan80
06-08-2010, 09:56 PM
sell it.. but make sure you have the $ to get osmething else.. i vote g35 coupe haha
x2 definitely

willowtreexx
06-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Im working on the details now with money and trying to get the car back up north to chicago. I have always wanted a suburban or big suv but i have seen quite a few E46 M3's down here that look really sexy too. ha of course it all depends on if i can land this job

colt45
06-09-2010, 11:45 AM
good luck selling your car. I think $6700 cash is a good deal.