PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Question

BlkMaGiC 3526
06-05-2010, 10:51 PM
I think my turbo is going out. The turbo sounds funny and my boost is just not hitting like it usually does. I'm gonna have my car checked out in a couple of days and if it is the turbo I will need a replacement. I'm kind of tight on funds so will probably go for the K04, unless the GT28RS is affordable.

I was looking around and I see ECS sells a kit made by KKK. Any other places that have competitive prices? Is kkk a good brand? Will I need anything else besides a chip upgrade? What numbers should I be expecting?

If I go GT28RS, what else would I need to get it running right besides a chip upgrade? Will I need injectors, intercooler, maybe get a stronger clutch? Or will just the chip upgrade be fine for the meantime?

Keep in mind this is my daily and I need the reliability b/c I drive this car everywhere. Also, I will most likely be paying a shop to do the install. I don't have the time to work on this and besides, I don't have the garage space I used to. TIA

geeky
06-06-2010, 12:56 AM
you're stock clutch is meant for stock power. A gt28rs elim setup will require a new set of injectors, fmic, fpr, tune, exhuast, clutch (all of these at the BARE MINIMUM) most people running a gt28rs elim setup end up running 440cc injectors + whatever tune they want/can afford.

The KKK brand you asked of is the OEM company, also known as Borg Warner (you ONLY want to buy a Borg Warner K04-015 or a frankenturbo, there are the only two companies i have personally used for the K04 series turbo). With the K04 upgrade, you will need atleast a chip + fpr (GIAC makes a 5bar fpr K04 file) but there are also other k04 files that require fmic, etc.

A k04 can reach you an attainable 200awhp tops (that is with the PC-16 file, which is one of the most aggresive k04 files made so far) while a gt28rs can get you to the high 200awhp and low 300awhp mark. But both will require you upgrade certain components to run properly. In the long run if you ever decide to go BT, an elim setup should be ideal, but for your DD purposes and depending on how much cash you have at the moment, the K04 might be your only option.

edit: I noticed your sig says unitronics, I believe that you can bump up to the unitronics 440 file for the gt28rs for a small fee (price difference between your current software and the gt28rs file) but do remember, a gt28rs will require you to get a new clutch, and as a suggestion, I would suggest the ClutchMasters FX400

Dynamite
06-06-2010, 01:04 AM
i dont know what ECS kit you are talking about, but if it is a k04 and you are really tight for moneys then you can run a k04-15 on k03 software. you will need to look for a software upgrade, FPR, FMIC and exhaust soon though. also the clutch will where out quicker than the k03. or if you go to a more aggressive file then injectors and possibly a maf housing as well. conservative k04 tune will get you around 170awhp or an aggressive one 195awhp. the gtrs then you will need a tune, injectors and maf housing stright away, and very soon after a FMIC exhaust and clutch, that will get you around 250awhp.
all of the info is in the forums, this comes up most days. so have a search around and read up before you make a decision.

BlkMaGiC 3526
06-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the input. I guess I will be going for the K04. If my turbo is on its way out, is it still safe to drive around town?

Doug@FrankenTurbo
06-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Stay out of boost and you should be fine. Are you making smoke?

BlkMaGiC 3526
06-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Stay out of boost and you should be fine. Are you making smoke?

No smoke yet. Is it common to loose oil? I had to add half a quart today?

Dynamite
06-06-2010, 03:37 PM
not that much, but it is not necessarily your turbo. do you get a lot of oil in your intake piping? there are other options other than the k04 for small cheap turbos, have a look for gt2x and f4h, neither have good tuning available yet but they are both better turbos than the k04, or have a look at 2nd hand gtrs's etc you can get the whole set up for the same as a new k04 setup some times. or you could rebuild you k03 to a k03-073, which will get you somewhere near k04 power