PDA

View Full Version : key was stolen

snoboarder_mike
06-05-2010, 09:45 PM
I went surfing today down at Huntington Beach today. Since I can't take my key in the water I left it on the beach in my board bag along with my phone on good faith in people that no one would want to steal it. Well, it got stolen... So there I was asking random people to use their cell phones... I'll save you the suspense. My car was not stolen. I eventually got AAA to open up my car, and thank GOD, I had an extra key in my car. Went to verizon, got another phone... I found a solution to this problem but it brought up some curiosity in me.

I know that on the B5 keys (I don't know about other platforms) the key can be taken apart separating the buttons with the key itself.

1) After separating the two parts of the key, can the key part get wet? Is there an electronic chip in the key segment?

2) Does Audi sell a key without any electronics, that will just allow you to get in your car but not drive it?

The reason I ask these questions is because, in my wetsuit there is a key pocket with a little thread and a zipper so you won't lose your key but it is not waterproof.

Thanks a lot!

Coderedpl
06-05-2010, 09:54 PM
I know my brother has a completely plastic "valet" key or spare on his b6. Not sure what the proper definition of that specific one is. All i know is that I was able to open up his car and start it with no problem. So I'm guessing it should be a very similar concept to the b5/b7 bodies too.

quattro1432
06-05-2010, 11:21 PM
yeah you can take the key apart and get it to just a mechanical piece, no electronics. Don't know how well it'd do on your wetsuit zipper because when you split it in half, the piece holding that keychain ring to the key comes apart and it just falls off.

geeky
06-06-2010, 01:20 AM
My 97 has 3 different kinds of keys: my flip key, a separate remote fob and key, and an emergency plastic key that will only open the doors but not start the car. You could always go to your audi dealer and ask them for a valet key which has no electronics in it. I'm not sure how much they'll charge you for it.

Seerlah
06-06-2010, 06:29 AM
I have a spare key for my Audi that is just like an ordinary key, with no remote.

flynnr
06-06-2010, 09:38 AM
there is a *VERY LITTLE* pin in the metal key toward where it connects to the black FOB. you can push a needle or something in there and just have the key part

codymack43
06-06-2010, 08:00 PM
My car only came with the valet key. No buttons or anything, and does everything i need it to but i'm not sure if its got electronics in it.

I think the dealer said the switchblade would be like $150 or something stupid.

walky_talky20
06-06-2010, 09:45 PM
In the US, the B5's never had immobilizers. So the only electronic part in the keys is the keyless entry remote part. If you separate the remote part, or have key without the remote part, there is nothing to worry about. Except rust, I suppose.

Here's a pic of the some of the different types of keys available. Some model years may not have come with all of them. These are from a TT, but pretty much identical. A dealer can make you the plain valet key, but I'm not sure if they can make you a plastic version. That would probably be ideal in your case, though.:
http://www.mindovermood.com/TT/images/2000_TT_067_keys.jpg

snoboarder_mike
06-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Well... here's an update. Called Audi, they could make me a valet key but would have to program it. Would run at $180! I was like WTF... Called home depot, they wouldn't do it. They referred me to a lock and smith company, they couldn't do it either but they referred me to "a guy who could do it." Sounded sketchy but I decided to go through with it anyway. Met him up along with another client. He is mobil (in a van with his name and number on it) and has all the legit tools and cutters and extra sets of keys and everything. He even has a roller chair in his van and special goggles... He charged me 40 bucks for this (minus the alarm key):

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a137/snoboarder_mike/0608100814a.jpg

Two plastic keys and a valet key (which says VW but its still practically the same thing)

Also, for any of you wanting to get your b5 audi valet key "programmed" there is NOTHING to program. Stupid people at Audi dealer were just trying to get easy cash from a naive customer. There is no chip in the key. I couldn't believe it when the guy told me. I wanted proof, so he walked over to my car with the plastic key, unlocked my car, and turned it on! I had no idea a plastic key would do that... Anyway, to finish the story with a happy ending, the little incident at the beach happened for a good reason! Now I have three extra sets of keys that I can get wet for $40 (it was actually $37 but I was so stoked that I just gave him an even $40 lol). If any of you live in socal and want this guys info pm me. I'd be more than happy to refer you to him. He's good... been in the business for over 15 years!

discontained
06-09-2010, 01:19 AM
put it in a small ziplock bag then in your wetsuit pocket. :)

that should seal it fosho

EuroDriven
06-09-2010, 06:23 AM
I have a spare key for my Audi that is just like an ordinary key, with no remote.

x2 for this for one of my audis.

-John

snoboarder_mike
06-09-2010, 06:07 PM
put it in a small ziplock bag then in your wetsuit pocket. :)

that should seal it fosho

If the key is plastic then it can get wet. Bag would be overkill but a bag with the electronic key would be suicide :P

discontained
06-10-2010, 12:31 AM
mine is fine lol, I throw my key in a ziplock bag when I go out on the lake. Works fine, i even forgot i had it in my cargo pocket when i went snorkeling and it still works. :)

x1n54n3x
06-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I had just recently lost my key...I'm having the key sent to audi via my vin # ( no spares, fuck me) but they had mentioned something about a fob part. now i'm asking whether or not theres a chip in the metal key (nevermind the remote). 01TQM, i'm like 99% sure there isn't cause he mentioned an image of a key on the LED upon startup and im sure i've never seen that before. can someone clarify what this dude meant by ''chip?'' sorry to threadjack btw.
and also, OP lemme get that dudes number, i'm in socal and could definitely use a spare key, thanks.

snoboarder_mike
06-25-2010, 07:39 AM
I had just recently lost my key...I'm having the key sent to audi via my vin # ( no spares, fuck me) but they had mentioned something about a fob part. now i'm asking whether or not theres a chip in the metal key (nevermind the remote). 01TQM, i'm like 99% sure there isn't cause he mentioned an image of a key on the LED upon startup and im sure i've never seen that before. can someone clarify what this dude meant by ''chip?'' sorry to threadjack btw.
and also, OP lemme get that dudes number, i'm in socal and could definitely use a spare key, thanks.

THERE IS NOOOO CHIP IN YOUR KEEYYY
I was so mad at Audi when I found that out. They start inserting chips in their keys in 2002, so said this Locksmith I went to. As you could read above, they were going to charge me $180 bucks for the valet key. I'll PM you this guys number. He made me three sets of keys (two plastic and one metal) for $40 bucks and they all work. He charged me $30 for two. Sh*t, the plastic key opened my car and started it!! After picking up my jaw from the ground I asked him to make me a third. $10 bucks for a spare is life-changing. (thanks Audi....).

guy022077
06-25-2010, 11:22 AM
mine is fine lol, I throw my key in a ziplock bag when I go out on the lake. Works fine, i even forgot i had it in my cargo pocket when i went snorkeling and it still works. :)

this is what i do with my phone and wallet when on the motorcycle...

x1n54n3x
06-25-2010, 06:30 PM
thanks man, I had figured thats what they meant by chip (a fob), I was just caught off guard by the fact that the guy didn't know the difference between pre fob (B5) and post (B6+) keys. anyways, my key came in today, works like a champ and i'll have to hit your guy up when im back in socal for school for another spare just in case. ill inevitably lose the key again. (but try fucking hard not to, that was an expensive mistake)

HuLarious
10-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Hey anyone know where to get one of those plastic keys in the OC area?