PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Suggestions?

TJR178
06-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi All,

I just found out that my flywheel is sh!tt!ng the nest today. My car has 81k on it and I've been hearing rattles at low RPM under throttle. It also "clunks" when you're not careful engaging the clutch. We're guessing the springs on the dual mass flywheel are shot, causing everything to slam together and rattle.

So, I need some suggestions:
- Get an OEM clutch kit?
- Find and aftermarket clutch kit?
- Try to find a single mass flywheel, so I don't have to worry about this again.
- Any other ideas?

I appreciate your thoughts!

FYI - 2001 B5 A4 2.8 30v quattro 5spd manual

geeky
06-04-2010, 10:24 AM
This has been covered plently of times. Please search the topic.

TJR178
06-04-2010, 10:44 AM
I did as I always do before posting a tech question to a forum. I couldn't find an answer that worked for my questions, so I posted a new thread. Maybe I didn't search well, so I'm sorry, but I spent a lot of time looking.

Thanks

flynnr
06-04-2010, 10:55 AM
It really depends on your goals for the car. If your goal is to have a completely stock a4 for its whole life, i would recommend getting an oem style clutch kit.

(just noticed your 2.8)

get and oem clutch and get your fly resurfaced!

TJR178
06-04-2010, 11:05 AM
My goal is to keep the car stock. The only thing I've done is add a Miltek to the car.

What if it's the flywheel that's the culprit (which I'm almost certain it is)? Since it's a dual-mass, I'm guessing it'll need replaced correct? I'm guessing it I had a single-mass, I could just get it resurfaced and be good to go.

Thanks for the input!

flynnr
06-04-2010, 11:21 AM
you can have the dual mass resurfaced by southbend

10kredline
06-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Dont resurface the flywheel, just get a new one. Its not a brake rotor where its an easy access, if your gonna go in there might as well change it. I got my dm flywheel on ebay for a good price(oem) and a stage 2 southbend clutch kit (non sprung hub). But if you're getting a single mass, make sure you get a new clutch kit with sprung hub or that shit will chatter your teeth off...

TJR178
06-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Good info 10k. So now the question is whether or not to stick with the DMFW or a SMFW. I'm thinking of just sticking with it (OEM), but then my engineering brain kicks in and says that more moving parts equals less reliability...

thenj3
06-04-2010, 01:17 PM
id prob just stick with the dual mass and the smoothness of the shifting. but if you dont really care about that then get the single. not like there is much of a difference if you can drive properly

10kredline
06-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Well, with a single mass flywheel, it feels like an extra 20 hp because your engine will rev up a lot faster than a dual mass. I wanted to get a single mass but the clutch kit from Kinetic motorsports screwed up my order, I didn't want to ship it back so I got a dual mass instead. You really can't tell the difference with dual or single when shift...just when reving.

TJR178
06-05-2010, 04:37 AM
Thanks a bunch guys. I think I have the information I've been looking for.

biketsai
06-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Go to Ringer-Racing.com and give Mike Hood a call, he will point you in the right direction and sells great kits at awesome prices.