PDA

View Full Version : Engine not reving after stepping on gas pedal, rpm needle goes up & down. HELP!

10kredline
06-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Ok....I have a 1999.5 A4 1.8TQM. From a stopping point, as I step on the gas pedal, my engine won't rev and the rpm needle goes up and down like the engine is going to stall. When it goes up, the engine revs on it's own without stepping on anything. This problem has been going on for a couple months now. Happens once in a while. Sometimes when I drive, it feels like it's losing power and a slight jerk like the clutch is slipping (installed new clutch 2 years ago). I do notice lost in power though. I took it to a local shop and wanted them to scan for any codes but the stupid shop's scanner was broken. So they assumed that it was just a dirty MAF...had it cleaned and the problem still exist. I'm thinking about taking it to Eurocode tomorrow to have them look at it. Does anyone have a clue what's going on?

Fukenfast
06-03-2010, 11:49 PM
I think your right it sounds like you might need a new MAF. This is what happened to me when my MAF went bad.

10kredline
06-04-2010, 11:30 PM
It seems like it doesn't like to be revved at low rpms, I was in second gear...dropped the needle down to 2000rpm then stepped on the gas. I'm not sure if it's because the turbo hasn't spooled up yet then the engine bogged...here's the video.

Fukenfast
06-05-2010, 12:52 AM
I don't see any video...what is the idle like, rough?

10kredline
06-05-2010, 02:18 AM
Here's how my car is like...I searched up on youtube and this dude has the same problem like mine....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGolyudu_xg

I think it's my MAF. I cleaned it with brake cleaner but it's having the same problem. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to unplug my battery to reset the ecu. If it still occurs, I'm just gonna take it to a shop or just buy a new MAF if it's the case.

walky_talky20
06-05-2010, 01:20 PM
How does it run if you just unplug the MAF?

I think your problem could also be a large vacuum leak. It can cause problems similar to that of a bad MAF.

10kredline
06-05-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't have a boost gauge, so I really can't tell (just bought a glowshift boost gauge, still waiting for it to ship). I don't know how to look for the leak. It really feels like it lost A LOT of power though. I just recently changed a gasket that was between the turbo to the cat/exhaust because it had a hole. I thought the leak was right there but replacing it didn't solve the problem. I also took it to a shop to have them clean the MAF sensor, they didn't scan for codes because their scanner was broken. I'm not sure if cleaning it will help or should I just buy a new one. ($60 ebay compaired to $150-250 tuning sites.)

fliptronic
06-07-2010, 03:05 AM
I had this problem but my car would also die and not start up. Replaced the speed sensor and that seemed to get it started up, but then that RPM problem happened again. Replaced the ECU and now I'm golden.

SouRce4
06-08-2010, 09:26 AM
PRETTY SURE I HAD THE SAME ISSUE AND it was the throttle body position sensor... get a new throttle body DBC...

10kredline
06-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Speed sensor, throttle body, maf, clogged cat. Im not sure which one it is. I unplugged the maf but it seems to not nother the car, it ran the normal. I scanned the car and no codes came up, i also installed my boost gauge and i'm only boosting at 0-4 psi ?! Can it also be just a boost leak some where or am i in limp mode?